Straight-ins at uncontrolled airports?

Old February 5th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

Default Straight-ins at uncontrolled airports?

I haven't flown in a while, but am in the market for a used plane.

I recalling hearing somewhere that straight-in approaches are now approved
at uncontrolled airports. Is this correct?

Danny Deger

Old February 5th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
karl gruber[_1_]

"Danny Deger" wrote in message
I haven't flown in a while, but am in the market for a used plane.

I recalling hearing somewhere that straight-in approaches are now approved
at uncontrolled airports. Is this correct?

Danny Deger

Approved by whom?

They've never been against any regulation, but are not necessarily the best
way to enter a pattern.

Karl

Old February 5th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"Danny Deger" wrote in message
I haven't flown in a while, but am in the market for a used plane.

I recalling hearing somewhere that straight-in approaches are now approved
at uncontrolled airports. Is this correct?

Danny Deger

Straight In has never been "disapproved."

It may not, however, be the best way to arrive.

YMMV,

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old February 5th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ktbr

Danny Deger wrote:

I recalling hearing somewhere that straight-in approaches are now approved
at uncontrolled airports. Is this correct?

AFAIK the recommended procedures for approaching and landing
at uncontrolled airports have not changed in a long time.

Straight in approaches have always been acceptable as long
as you can do it safely, maintain visual, give right of way
to lower aircraft, be aware of A/C in the patten, announce
your position/intentions, etc. etc. etc. It is highly
recommended to do a standard pattern entry to the downwind
leg of the pattern.

When you know traffic is very light or non existant a straight
in approach can be very efficient.
Old February 5th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"karl gruber" wrote in message

They've never been against any regulation, but are not necessarily the
best way to enter a pattern.

But may very well be.

Old February 5th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"ktbr" wrote in message

Straight in approaches have always been acceptable as long
as you can do it safely, maintain visual, give right of way
to lower aircraft, be aware of A/C in the patten, announce
your position/intentions, etc. etc. etc. It is highly
recommended to do a standard pattern entry to the downwind
leg of the pattern.

An aircraft on final has the right-of-way.

Old February 5th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Danny Deger writes:

I haven't flown in a while, but am in the market for a used plane.

I recalling hearing somewhere that straight-in approaches are now approved
at uncontrolled airports. Is this correct?

They've never been prohibited (at least in the U.S.).

Old February 5th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim[_11_]

What is the group's take on 91.126 and 91.127?
Jim

Old February 5th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Jim wrote:

What is the group's take on 91.126 and 91.127?
Jim

you mean the part about "Unless otherwise authorized or
required..." ?

--Sylvain
Old February 5th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Right turn approved on departure.