Marine Gunship and dragonfly?

Old December 22nd 03, 05:40 AM
Charles Gray

Default Marine Gunship and dragonfly?

Here's a question-- I've read some theories that the marines will
eventually need a new gunship to escort V-22's. Many of these involve
a AV-22 style design.
But my question is this-- as I understand it, the V-22 is very
ineffecient and unmanuverable in VTO mode-- it's not a helicopter that
flies as fast as an airplane, its an airplane that spends most of its
time in horizontal flight, and only uses VTO for short periods-- it
cannot behave the same as a helicopter.

But the X-50 Canard rotor/wing seems to be able to function as both
a fullly capable helicopter and a fully capable subsonic aircraft.
Wouldn't it make more sense to try to create a gunsihp version of it?
Now, since I'm not an engineer, could anyone tell me if there are
any problems with teh design that make it unsuitable?
Old December 22nd 03, 03:39 PM
Jeb Hoge

Charles Gray wrote in message . ..
Here's a question-- I've read some theories that the marines will
eventually need a new gunship to escort V-22's. Many of these involve
a AV-22 style design.
But my question is this-- as I understand it, the V-22 is very
ineffecient and unmanuverable in VTO mode-- it's not a helicopter that
flies as fast as an airplane, its an airplane that spends most of its
time in horizontal flight, and only uses VTO for short periods-- it
cannot behave the same as a helicopter.

But the X-50 Canard rotor/wing seems to be able to function as both
a fullly capable helicopter and a fully capable subsonic aircraft.
Wouldn't it make more sense to try to create a gunsihp version of it?
Now, since I'm not an engineer, could anyone tell me if there are
any problems with teh design that make it unsuitable?

Feh. Bring back the Spads and Broncos!