4130 - bad news...

Old May 15th 04, 02:56 AM
Leon McAtee

"Rich S." wrote in message ...
wrote in message

Brazing high strength alloy steel components of automotive bodies is
STRICTLY FORBIDDEN.

I know that flame welding of HSLA's is verbotten by the Mfg's, some
state laws and common "good practice" but as far as I know brazing is
OK, though I don't know why anyone would want to when MIG is so quick
and clean. In fact I know that at least one US Mfg. MIGed some
pannels (primary structure)with brass wire, and probably still does.
Also from what I have been reading this "good practice" of MIGing HSLA
may be based on poor science. Seems that the common alloy used by
most autobody shops in their MIG's creates some poor welds due to
migration of the niobium and vandamanium in the HSLA into the HAZ
resulting in the potential for cracking. But...............

B. Weren't we talking about the use of this steel in experimental airplanes?
(Actually, by "where" I meant "where in the world is such brazing "STRICTLY
FORBIDDEN" - which you answered in "A".)

Lets get back to finding a replacement for the 4130 used in
homebuilding. Then we can hash out the best way to fuse it for our
uses.

Is something like an HSLA mmanfactured to ASTM A606 (type 2 or
type4)standard suitable for aircraft parts formerally made of 4130?
Even if it isn't a 100% substitute for 4130 in a closely designed
structure, would it be acceptable for aircraft use if the part were
redesigned (upsized one size?)to better match the HSLA's strength? Is
sheet in thicknesses used by homebuilders available in this alloy?
For a reasonable price?
========================
Leon McAtee
Old May 15th 04, 05:11 AM
Ernest Christley

Richard Lamb wrote:
Earnest,

For what it's worth, I just got back from day 1 at SWRFI and
there IS a Dyke on display!

I have to admit, it is a cool plane.
Very different.

But it took 26 years to build???

(Somebody was goofing off!)

Richard

That sounds like N78BS, Bernie Schnanowski's bird (just look at me name
dropping like I know people).

Are you sure they didn't say that it's been flying 26years, which is
right about the age of N78BS I believe.

I'm about halfway through (quit laughing). 1500 of a 3000 hour project,
and I've only been at it two years.

--
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/
"Ignorance is mankinds normal state,
Old May 15th 04, 06:20 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Sat, 15 May 2004 04:11:28 GMT, Ernest Christley
wrote:

That sounds like N78BS, Bernie Schnanowski's bird (just look at me name
dropping like I know people).

Are you sure they didn't say that it's been flying 26years, which is
right about the age of N78BS I believe.

Bernie was a member of a Seattle-area EAA Chapter when I joined about
twenty years ago. His plane was flying then, and he'd originally completed
it in New York before he moved to Seattle. The FAA lists the plane as a
1980 model.

The current owner is the builder's son...I think he's named Bernie, as
well.

Ron Wanttaja
Old May 15th 04, 02:12 PM
Richard Lamb

Ernest Christley wrote:

Richard Lamb wrote:
Earnest,

For what it's worth, I just got back from day 1 at SWRFI and
there IS a Dyke on display!

I have to admit, it is a cool plane.
Very different.

But it took 26 years to build???

(Somebody was goofing off!)

Richard

That sounds like N78BS, Bernie Schnanowski's bird (just look at me name
dropping like I know people).

Are you sure they didn't say that it's been flying 26years, which is
right about the age of N78BS I believe.

I'm about halfway through (quit laughing). 1500 of a 3000 hour project,
and I've only been at it two years.

--
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/

Yep - Bernie was the guy I talked to.

Nope - he said it only had 12 flying hours on it.

Richard
Old May 15th 04, 02:30 PM
Ernest Christley

wrote:

That sounds like N78BS, Bernie Schnanowski's bird (just look at me name
dropping like I know people).

Are you sure they didn't say that it's been flying 26years, which is
right about the age of N78BS I believe.

Bernie was a member of a Seattle-area EAA Chapter when I joined about
twenty years ago. His plane was flying then, and he'd originally completed
it in New York before he moved to Seattle. The FAA lists the plane as a
1980 model.

The current owner is the builder's son...I think he's named Bernie, as
well.

Ron Wanttaja

Bernie senior is building a Sonex (I think) right now. Bernie junior
now flies N78BS down around Atlanta.
Old May 15th 04, 02:32 PM
Ernest Christley

Richard Lamb wrote:
Ernest Christley wrote:

Richard Lamb wrote:

Earnest,

For what it's worth, I just got back from day 1 at SWRFI and
there IS a Dyke on display!

I have to admit, it is a cool plane.
Very different.

But it took 26 years to build???

(Somebody was goofing off!)

Richard

That sounds like N78BS, Bernie Schnanowski's bird (just look at me name
dropping like I know people).

Are you sure they didn't say that it's been flying 26years, which is
right about the age of N78BS I believe.

I'm about halfway through (quit laughing). 1500 of a 3000 hour project,
and I've only been at it two years.

--
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/

Yep - Bernie was the guy I talked to.

Nope - he said it only had 12 flying hours on it.

Richard

Must admit that I haven't a clue as to which bird you saw. Did you get
a tail number? It's definitely not N78BS, though.

Old May 15th 04, 07:05 PM
Richard Lamb

Ernest Christley wrote:

Richard Lamb wrote:
Ernest Christley wrote:

Richard Lamb wrote:

[...]

Hang on, let me get my camera plugged in....
(busy busy busy)

Ok, she's N131KD.

Like I said, this is the first one I've actually seen in person.
I noticed some changes from the original.
For one thing, the forward underbody is done with glass.
It looks nice that way too.

Richard
Old May 15th 04, 10:30 PM
Richard Riley

:

Pretty. http://futurshox.net/viewer.php3?id=1523
Old May 17th 04, 04:08 PM
Ernest Christley

Richard Lamb wrote:

Hang on, let me get my camera plugged in....
(busy busy busy)

Ok, she's N131KD.

Like I said, this is the first one I've actually seen in person.
I noticed some changes from the original.
For one thing, the forward underbody is done with glass.
It looks nice that way too.

Richard

OK. That's Ken Druckenbrodt. Haven't heard much from him, but he first
flew in 2001.

Why 4130 tube? Leon McAtee Home Built 31 March 28th 04 03:04 PM
Sport Pilot Leaves DOT for OMB, Latest News Fitzair4 Home Built 3 December 25th 03 02:49 AM
Test..sorry, please ignore, just trying a new isp, news server, and newsreader. Doug Sowder Aerobatics 0 November 9th 03 06:04 PM
It's all about the credibility you don't have, ChuckZZZ Juan.Jimenez Home Built 8 November 4th 03 01:03 PM
News server problems on just this group Chris W Home Built 9 August 9th 03 02:32 AM