Best tug for a 3000lb SEP?

Old April 22nd 05, 08:35 PM
Newps

Default Best tug for a 3000lb SEP?

Look for a used golf cart, it will have many other uses other than just
a tug.

Peter wrote:

Hi,

A colleague is looking for a tug, perhaps an electric one, capable of
towing the aircraft (a TB20) by the first wheel a distance of about 50
yards.

I say "electric" because petrol engined tugs seems to be a bit
temperamental, and this is in a very tight hangar and a lot of control
over the forward/reverse speed is needed.

I can do a web search but would appreciate any suggestions on a good
quality product with very smooth speed control.

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.

Old April 23rd 05, 07:09 PM
John Kunkel

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Hydrostatic garden tractor.
Jim

I'll second that, a couple of locals use them and they work great, are
readily available and cheap.

Old April 23rd 05, 11:48 PM
Brian Whatcott

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 11:09:54 -0700, "John Kunkel"
wrote:

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Hydrostatic garden tractor.
Jim

I'll second that, a couple of locals use them and they work great, are
readily available and cheap.

Cheap?
Not exactly!

:-)

Brian W
Old April 24th 05, 12:03 AM
Matt Barrow

wrote:

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Hydrostatic garden tractor.
Jim

I'll second that, a couple of locals use them and they work great, are
readily available and cheap.

Cheap?
Not exactly!

About eight of us share an old John Deere 11HP lawn tractor (parked in a
shed adjacent to the T-hangers) and it pulls everything from 182's to small
turboprops.

Nice thing is it already has the hitch and the bumper/frame is beefy enough
to handle the bigger loads.

Old April 24th 05, 01:25 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:03:28 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

About eight of us share an old John Deere 11HP lawn tractor (parked in a
shed adjacent to the T-hangers) and it pulls everything from 182's to small
turboprops.

Nice thing is it already has the hitch and the bumper/frame is beefy enough
to handle the bigger loads.

We have one, too. And I have no problem "pulling". But I've never got
that knack of "pushing" with it. So I wound up getting a NoseDragger.

Old April 24th 05, 07:25 PM
John Kunkel

wrote:

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Hydrostatic garden tractor.
Jim

I'll second that, a couple of locals use them and they work great, are
readily available and cheap.

Cheap?
Not exactly!

Think "used", "preowned", etc.

Old April 24th 05, 11:06 PM
Matt Barrow

wrote:

About eight of us share an old John Deere 11HP lawn tractor (parked in a
shed adjacent to the T-hangers) and it pulls everything from 182's to

small
turboprops.

Nice thing is it already has the hitch and the bumper/frame is beefy

enough
to handle the bigger loads.

We have one, too. And I have no problem "pulling". But I've never got
that knack of "pushing" with it. So I wound up getting a NoseDragger.

Pushing can be done with the tractor because it has a nice (read strong) two
speed reverse gear (and three forward). I use it to get the bird back into
the hanger as there is about a 2" lip to across on the foundation slab.

The John Deere is about 20 or so years old and in pretty good shape
considering the number of people using it. The biggest plane that it gets
used on is a C90B King Air which it handles with ease.

It was here when I got here but I understand the guy who brought it from his
home bought a new one that would handle a snow thrower. Most the others in
the hanger block chipped in about $50 apiece to compensate him.

Matt
---------------------
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

Old April 24th 05, 11:08 PM
Matt Barrow

wrote:

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Hydrostatic garden tractor.
Jim

I'll second that, a couple of locals use them and they work great, are
readily available and cheap.

Cheap?
Not exactly!

Think "used", "preowned", etc.

Ours (John Deere lawn/garden tractor) is about 20 years old. Lube and oil
change in the spring and it's good to go.

Old April 25th 05, 12:27 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 15:06:51 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

Pushing can be done with the tractor because it has a nice (read strong) two
speed reverse gear (and three forward). I use it to get the bird back into
the hanger as there is about a 2" lip to across on the foundation slab.

Our tractor has multiple slow speeds, too. I think there are about ten or
twelve forward and four reverse.

But my problem has to do with the joints at the towbar-tractor and
towbar-a/c. Once I get a little off, I can't seem to (easily) get things
straightened out again. And the Mooney has fairly narrow nosewheel turning
limits (+/-15° if I recall correctly).

I'm sure with practice I could do better. But now with the Nose Dragger
Dragger I don't use the tractor, unless I have to tow long distances (in
which case I pull and don't push).