What is that whining sound aboard an inflight 747?

Old January 14th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Alan[_4_]

Default What is that whining sound aboard an inflight 747?

Several times for the past few years, while on a transatlantic flight
aboard a KLM 747-400, I begin to hear what sounds like a turbine
spinning up, almost like an engine start, but higher pitch...
Anyone know what it might be?

Thanks
Old January 14th 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Alan writes:

Several times for the past few years, while on a transatlantic flight
aboard a KLM 747-400, I begin to hear what sounds like a turbine
spinning up, almost like an engine start, but higher pitch...
Anyone know what it might be?

At what point in the flight? And in which seat?
Old January 14th 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Alan writes:

Several times for the past few years, while on a transatlantic flight
aboard a KLM 747-400, I begin to hear what sounds like a turbine
spinning up, almost like an engine start, but higher pitch...
Anyone know what it might be?

At what point in the flight? And in which seat?

Why, you going to book next to him and whine the whole way?

Bertie
Old January 14th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Alan writes:

Several times for the past few years, while on a transatlantic flight
aboard a KLM 747-400, I begin to hear what sounds like a turbine
spinning up, almost like an engine start, but higher pitch...
Anyone know what it might be?

At what point in the flight? And in which seat?

Why, you going to book next to him and whine the whole way?

What's the difference between a jet engine
and Anthony?
Old January 14th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 14, 10:26 am, Alan wrote:
Several times for the past few years, while on a transatlantic flight
aboard a KLM 747-400, I begin to hear what sounds like a turbine
spinning up, almost like an engine start, but higher pitch...
Anyone know what it might be?

Thanks

Might be the air cycle machine. See this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_cycle_machine

Dan
Old January 14th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

wrote in news:b7f23917-54a3-4227-a8cf-
:

On Jan 14, 10:26 am, Alan wrote:
Several times for the past few years, while on a transatlantic flight
aboard a KLM 747-400, I begin to hear what sounds like a turbine
spinning up, almost like an engine start, but higher pitch...
Anyone know what it might be?

Thanks

Might be the air cycle machine. See this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_cycle_machine

Mm, they sort of hum more than whine, and the fans for the heat exchanger
are off when the flaps are up anyway.

It's either the hydraulic pumps, or if they're coming on and off in flight,
he probably means the flap motors.
In cruise nothing would be going on or off, though.

Bertie

Old January 14th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 14, 11:05*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Alan writes:
Several times for the past few years, while on a transatlantic flight
aboard a KLM 747-400, I begin to hear what sounds like a turbine
spinning up, almost like an engine start, but higher pitch...
Anyone know what it might be?

At what point in the flight? *And in which seat?

Do you have the seat schematics for different airlines?

-Robert
Old January 14th 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_3_]

Good questions..

With these additional important details, someone may be able to offer
good suggestions...

Dave