Medical and severe allergies

Old January 21st 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Medical and severe allergies

Has anyone on this list had experience with getting a student his
medical certificate if the student has severe allergies? This student
has a really bad peanut alergy. If I eat a peanut butter sandwich
before a lesson we could get hives and if he were to accidently eat a
peanut he could go into shock. He carries an Epipen and makes sure
those around him know how to use it.
I'm just curious if anyone on this list has any first hand experience
with getting a medical under these conditions. Is it somewhat straight
forward, very hard, or not possible?

Thanks!
-Robert
Old January 21st 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote

Has anyone on this list had experience with getting a student his
medical certificate if the student has severe allergies? This student
has a really bad peanut alergy. If I eat a peanut butter sandwich
before a lesson we could get hives and if he were to accidently eat a
peanut he could go into shock. He carries an Epipen and makes sure
those around him know how to use it.
I'm just curious if anyone on this list has any first hand experience
with getting a medical under these conditions. Is it somewhat straight
forward, very hard, or not possible?

Allergies should not be disqualifying. Of course, check with AOPA and your
FSDO, to get the real poop, without peanuts.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 22nd 08, 12:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

When dealing with the FAA the pilot needs to follow Billy Boy's
advice - Don't ask, Don't tell...

denny

Old January 22nd 08, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Denny" wrote in message
When dealing with the FAA the pilot needs to follow Billy Boy's
advice - Don't ask, Don't tell...

Unfortunately, they ask:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...tory/item18/e/

Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners
Application Process for Medical Certification
Applicant History - Item 18. Medical History
e. Hay fever or allergy
The applicant should report frequency and duration of symptoms, and whether
they have been incapacitating by the condition. Mention should also be made
of treatment and side effects. The Examiner should inquire whether the
applicant has ever experienced any "ear block", barotitis, or any other
symptoms that could interfere with aviation safety? Barosinusitis is of
concern and should also be ruled out. (See Item 26).

Old January 22nd 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 22, 4:58*am, "Steve Foley" wrote:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...s/avs/offices/...

Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners
Application Process for Medical Certification
Applicant History - Item 18. Medical History
e. Hay fever or allergy
The applicant should report frequency and duration of symptoms, and whether
they have been incapacitating by the condition. Mention should also be made
of treatment and side effects. The Examiner should inquire whether the
applicant has ever experienced any "ear block", barotitis, or any other
symptoms that could interfere with aviation safety? Barosinusitis is of
concern and should also be ruled out. (See Item 26).

That is my concern. The frequency is anytime he is exposed to peanuts
and the symptoms are anaphylactic shock that could result in his death
if someone nearby is not able to administer the Epipen. His symptoms
are almost immediate though. So, it would make logical sense that if
he was not exposed to peanuts before he got in the plane, he is not
likely to be exposed to them while airborne. Just curious if anyone on
this list has personal experience dealing with the FAA on this. I can
tell the student what my personal AME may say about it and what AOPA
may say but sometimes its also very helpful to be able to offer a
personal experience as well. I don't want to get this young man
invested in aviation without first giving him a realistic expectation
of what his medical may require.

-Robert, CFII

Old January 22nd 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Robert M. Gary wrote:
[...]

When you say exposed do you mean eat or come direct contact with? Or do
you mean the guy next to him opens a bag of Planter's.

If it is the later, he has an allergy that would most certainly render
him unable to act as PIC. What happens if he rents a plane and the guy
before him had a snack on a X-C flight? Or if one of his passengers
doesn't know he has an allergy or that the candy bar that they have with
them has peanuts in it.
Old January 22nd 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
[...]

Or he flies over a peanut processing plant...
Old January 22nd 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 22, 9:38*am, Gig 601XL Builder
wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
[...]

If he eats some he could lose consciousness. He said he was on a
school bus once and some kids in the row in front of him opened a bag
of nuts. He broke out in hives. I'm not sure how limiting the hives
are to PIC. Apparently peanuts give of a dust that some are very
allergic to (learn something new everyday). He did use a spoon once
that had been used for peanut butter and apparently not cleaned well
enough and he dropped to the floor.
It would just be too bad if he couldn't fly. If he's exposed to nuts
he would know right away, its not like he could be fine, take off, and
then discover nuts in the plane. However, if someone opened some in
the cockpit it could be bad.

-Robert
Old January 22nd 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Robert M. Gary writes:

If he eats some he could lose consciousness. He said he was on a
school bus once and some kids in the row in front of him opened a bag
of nuts. He broke out in hives. I'm not sure how limiting the hives
are to PIC. Apparently peanuts give of a dust that some are very
allergic to (learn something new everyday). He did use a spoon once
that had been used for peanut butter and apparently not cleaned well
enough and he dropped to the floor.

Allergic reactions can also be psychogenic, which bodes even worse for
obtaining a medical.
Old January 22nd 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 22, 10:30*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Robert M. Gary writes:
If he eats some he could lose consciousness. He said he was on a
school bus once and some kids in the row in front of him opened a bag
of nuts. He broke out in hives. I'm not sure how limiting the hives
are to PIC. Apparently peanuts give of a dust that some are very
allergic to (learn something new everyday). He did use a spoon once
that had been used for peanut butter and apparently not cleaned well
enough and he dropped to the floor.

Allergic reactions can also be psychogenic, which bodes even worse for
obtaining a medical.

No, when they test you for allergies they don't tell you which part of
the skin they put which allergen. It would be pretty tough to only
break out in certain areas.

-Robert