Medical and severe allergies

Old January 22nd 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Medical and severe allergies

On Jan 22, 10:30*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Robert M. Gary writes:
If he eats some he could lose consciousness. He said he was on a
school bus once and some kids in the row in front of him opened a bag
of nuts. He broke out in hives. I'm not sure how limiting the hives
are to PIC. Apparently peanuts give of a dust that some are very
allergic to (learn something new everyday). He did use a spoon once
that had been used for peanut butter and apparently not cleaned well
enough and he dropped to the floor.

Allergic reactions can also be psychogenic, which bodes even worse for
obtaining a medical.

BTW: This is a well known allergy. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/peanut-allergy/DS00710

"Peanut allergy affects approximately 1.5 million people in the United
States. As the most common cause of life-threatening allergic
reactions (anaphylaxis), peanut allergies account for 80 percent of
fatal or near-fatal allergic reactions each year. You can reduce your
risk of having an allergic reaction to peanuts by knowing as much as
you can about peanut allergy and how to avoid peanut-containing
products."
Old January 22nd 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Robert M. Gary writes:

No, when they test you for allergies they don't tell you which part of
the skin they put which allergen. It would be pretty tough to only
break out in certain areas.

True, but when you see someone open a bag of nuts, you know that the allergen
is at least theoretically present. Asthma, for example, is famous for being
an allergy that can be triggered not only by actual exposure to allergens but
also psychogenically, and allergic reactions in general are in a category of
physiological responses that are strongly influenced by emotion and mental
state.

In any case, if a person develops a dangerous allergic reaction just by having
a bag of peanuts opened nearby, it does not bode well for a medical, as I've
indicated, because, as others have pointed out, the previous person in the
aircraft could have eaten peanuts or a Snickers bar, and so on. Someone that
sensitive can scarcely risk walking down the street or going into any public
place.
Old January 22nd 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Robert M. Gary writes:

BTW: This is a well known allergy. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/peanut-allergy/DS00710

"Peanut allergy affects approximately 1.5 million people in the United
States. As the most common cause of life-threatening allergic
reactions (anaphylaxis), peanut allergies account for 80 percent of
fatal or near-fatal allergic reactions each year. You can reduce your
risk of having an allergic reaction to peanuts by knowing as much as
you can about peanut allergy and how to avoid peanut-containing
products."

Yes, it's among the most common food allergies, but it's still rare. And
allergic reactions can still be triggered psychogenically as well, especially
among people who have strong allergic reactions of purely physiological
origin.

There's a huge difference between consuming peanut products and having someone
open a bag of peanuts nearby. In the former case it would be easy to avoid
any allergy problems while flying; in the latter case, no place is safe,
including a cockpit.
Old January 22nd 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 22, 11:05*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Robert M. Gary writes:
No, when they test you for allergies they don't tell you which part of
the skin they put which allergen. It would be pretty tough to only
break out in certain areas.

True, but when you see someone open a bag of nuts, you know that the allergen
is at least theoretically present. *Asthma, for example, is famous for being
an allergy that can be triggered not only by actual exposure to allergens but
also psychogenically, and allergic reactions in general are in a category of
physiological responses that are strongly influenced by emotion and mental
state.

He didn't learn about the peanuts until after he broke out. Thiis is
not a rare thing, in fact its very common. If you notice in the story
when you buy cookies there will be a warning label of the factory also
has nuts. Some restaurants also have warning signs.

In any case, if a person develops a dangerous allergic reaction just by having
a bag of peanuts opened nearby, it does not bode well for a medical, as I've
indicated, because, as others have pointed out, the previous person in the
aircraft could have eaten peanuts or a Snickers bar, and so on. *Someone that
sensitive can scarcely risk walking down the street or going into any public
place.

But he would react during the preflight, not in flight. It is hard for
him to be in public. He wasn't able to go to public school or ride
public transportation later.

-Robet

Old January 22nd 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:54:01 -0800 (PST), Robert M. Gary wrote:

If he eats some he could lose consciousness. He said he was on a
school bus once and some kids in the row in front of him opened a bag
of nuts.

These peanut allergy people really have a tough life as peanut by-products
can be used in just about anything processed. There's a chance that eating
a bag potato chips could set him off if he didn't read the label or the
factory was sloppy in listing their ingredients or cleaning their
equipment.

I would bet the risk of incapacitation is too high in his case for the FAA
to be comfortable giving him a medical. Please let us know how it turns
out, I'm sure several of us are curious.

--
Dallas
Old January 22nd 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Robert M. Gary posted:

On Jan 22, 9:38 am, Gig 601XL Builder
wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Jan 22, 4:58 am, "Steve Foley"
wrote:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...s/avs/offices/...

Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners
Application Process for Medical Certification
Applicant History - Item 18. Medical History
e. Hay fever or allergy
The applicant should report frequency and duration of symptoms,
and whether they have been incapacitating by the condition.
Mention should also be made of treatment and side effects. The
Examiner should inquire whether the applicant has ever experienced
any "ear block", barotitis, or any other symptoms that could
interfere with aviation safety? Barosinusitis is of concern and
should also be ruled out. (See Item 26).

That is my concern. The frequency is anytime he is exposed to
peanuts and the symptoms are anaphylactic shock that could result
in his death if someone nearby is not able to administer the
Epipen. His symptoms are almost immediate though. So, it would make
logical sense that if he was not exposed to peanuts before he got
in the plane, he is not likely to be exposed to them while
airborne. Just curious if anyone on this list has personal
experience dealing with the FAA on this. I can tell the student
what my personal AME may say about it and what AOPA may say but
sometimes its also very helpful to be able to offer a personal
experience as well. I don't want to get this young man invested in
aviation without first giving him a realistic expectation of what
his medical may require.

-Robert, CFII

When you say exposed do you mean eat or come direct contact with? Or
do you mean the guy next to him opens a bag of Planter's.

If he eats some he could lose consciousness. He said he was on a
school bus once and some kids in the row in front of him opened a bag
of nuts. He broke out in hives. I'm not sure how limiting the hives
are to PIC. Apparently peanuts give of a dust that some are very
allergic to (learn something new everyday). He did use a spoon once
that had been used for peanut butter and apparently not cleaned well
enough and he dropped to the floor.
It would just be too bad if he couldn't fly. If he's exposed to nuts
he would know right away, its not like he could be fine, take off, and
then discover nuts in the plane. However, if someone opened some in
the cockpit it could be bad.

-Robert

Having read many of the messages in this thread, I have to wonder whether
the best course of action would be to use his condition as an excercise in
judgement. Point out soem of the risks that have been mentioned and ask
him if *he* thinks it is reasonable or wise to pursue an Airman's
Certificate.

Regards,

Neil

Old January 22nd 08, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Robert M. Gary wrote:

If he eats some he could lose consciousness. He said he was on a
school bus once and some kids in the row in front of him opened a bag
of nuts. He broke out in hives. I'm not sure how limiting the hives
are to PIC. Apparently peanuts give of a dust that some are very
allergic to (learn something new everyday). He did use a spoon once
that had been used for peanut butter and apparently not cleaned well
enough and he dropped to the floor.
It would just be too bad if he couldn't fly. If he's exposed to nuts
he would know right away, its not like he could be fine, take off, and
then discover nuts in the plane. However, if someone opened some in
the cockpit it could be bad.

-Robert

If he really wants to fly I think his only option is to go LSA and buy
his on plane and NEVER let any food product that he isn't 100% sure is
peanut free ever enter the aircraft.

And if he can't stick himself in the leg with an epi-pen and continue to
fly I wouldn't even suggest that. I'd even go so far as saying he needs
to test himself on this with another pilot in the plane with him.

Old January 22nd 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Robert M. Gary writes:

He didn't learn about the peanuts until after he broke out. Thiis is
not a rare thing, in fact its very common. If you notice in the story
when you buy cookies there will be a warning label of the factory also
has nuts. Some restaurants also have warning signs.

Mainly because of liability issues. Ten or twenty years ago, it was sulfite
reactions. Every generation has its popular ailments. The only constant
trend is an ever-increasing fear of everything.

But he would react during the preflight, not in flight.

But can he be sure of that? Allergic reactions don't always occur
immediately. What if there is peanut dust in the cockpit, and it doesn't get
really stirred up until air in the cockpit starts moving around after
take-off? Can he take the risk?

It is hard for him to be in public. He wasn't able to go to public
school or ride public transportation later.

Then flying on his own is going to be a real problem. Best not to say
anything about that unless explicitly asked.
Old January 22nd 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dallas writes:

These peanut allergy people really have a tough life as peanut by-products
can be used in just about anything processed. There's a chance that eating
a bag potato chips could set him off if he didn't read the label or the
factory was sloppy in listing their ingredients or cleaning their
equipment.

I would bet the risk of incapacitation is too high in his case for the FAA
to be comfortable giving him a medical. Please let us know how it turns
out, I'm sure several of us are curious.

Since the FAA is so paranoid about so many other potential (but often
farfetched) causes of incapacitation, I should think this would make them
shiver with apprehension, but who knows?
Old January 22nd 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

And if he can't stick himself in the leg with an epi-pen and continue to
fly I wouldn't even suggest that. I'd even go so far as saying he needs
to test himself on this with another pilot in the plane with him.

Isn't it possible to get some sort of medical waiver that allows you to fly as
long as you have a safety pilot with you (something like that exists for deaf
people, I think)?