A BFR question

Old January 23rd 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

Default A BFR question

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 17:51:08 -0800 (PST), 150flivver wrote:

he may have to get SEL added
to his ticket before he can go renting a single engine.

Yup, he's got his SEL from primary training, but you are 100% right, his
MEL is limited to centerline thrust.

The part I couldn't understand was how he got a commercial ticket, which BT
explains later on in this thread.

--
Dallas
Old January 23rd 08, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

"Dallas" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 19:16:47 -0800, BT wrote:

They take a written, and based on military check ride (Form 8) are able
be issued a Commercial, Instrument, Multi Engine and never know anything
about Props or P-factor or engines other than jets.

BT, I was under the impression that a military pilot didn't need an FAA
certificate to fly in the military. Was this an incorrect assumption?

--
Dallas

Dallas, you are correct, no FAA Certificate, but does have to have a valid
military check ride that is recorded on AF Form 8. The military issues the
military pilot his qualifications. No "certificate", just papers in a folder
maintained in "Flight Records".

The military pilot can take that current AF Form 8 to the nearest FSDO and
be issued a Civilian Pilot Certificate. If he is flying aircraft with more
than one engine, he gets a ME rating, if it is "fighters", certain types are
considered centerline thrust. If he is flying a tanker or transport, he can
have the centerline thrust removed. Also, as part of the Form 8 papers are
annotations of instrument checkride, so he gets the Instrument rating.

That does not qualify him to fly, Airplane Single Engine, unless his
military Form 8 is for a single engine aircraft.

BT

Old January 23rd 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dallas wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 19:16:47 -0800, BT wrote:

They take a written, and based on military check ride (Form 8) are able to
be issued a Commercial, Instrument, Multi Engine and never know anything
about Props or P-factor or engines other than jets.

BT, I was under the impression that a military pilot didn't need an FAA
certificate to fly in the military. Was this an incorrect assumption?

No.

The military has it's own procedures for qualifing pilots, boat captains,
radio/radar techs, etc. that don't involve the FAA, FCC or other agencies
civilians have to deal with.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 23rd 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 22, 9:26*pm, "BT" wrote:
"Dallas" wrote in message

[...]

Also, some military check pilots are also FAA examiners. Some of the
pilots out at Travis AFB say they got their ATP ME in the C-5 when
they took their military check ride.

-Robert
Old January 23rd 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

BT wrote:

It's true.. and it happens.. AF Trained pilots, T-37, T-38, F-15 are Multi
Engine, Centerline Thrust.
They take a written, and based on military check ride (Form 8) are able to
be issued a Commercial, Instrument, Multi Engine and never know anything
about Props or P-factor or engines other than jets.

No SE.

That was the case in the past. The Tweet is being retired and new pilots
have been training on the T-6A Texan II, which is a turbine powered single.
Now, the AF guys will get both single and multi instruction, like their Navy
counterparts have always had (T-34C).

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old January 23rd 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 22, 9:45*pm, wrote:

The military has it's own procedures for qualifing pilots, boat captains,
radio/radar techs, etc. that don't involve the FAA, FCC or other agencies
civilians have to deal with.

Yea, in CAP we have to meet both. We have to maintain our FAA
certificate to fly the AF owned aircraft and also maintain our CAP
qualifications (similar to the regular AF's). So you need to have a
Form 5 check every 12 months with a check pilot and need additional
check for things like instrument, night, and certain types of flying.

-robert, CFII and USAF Aux Check Pilot
Old January 23rd 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Jan 22, 9:45?pm, wrote:

The military has it's own procedures for qualifing pilots, boat captains,
radio/radar techs, etc. that don't involve the FAA, FCC or other agencies
civilians have to deal with.

Yea, in CAP we have to meet both. We have to maintain our FAA
certificate to fly the AF owned aircraft and also maintain our CAP
qualifications (similar to the regular AF's). So you need to have a
Form 5 check every 12 months with a check pilot and need additional
check for things like instrument, night, and certain types of flying.

Well, yeah, since the CAP isn't military and the members aren't part of
the Armed Forces.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 23rd 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 23, 9:45*am, wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:

On Jan 22, 9:45?pm, wrote:
The military has it's own procedures for qualifing pilots, boat captains,
radio/radar techs, etc. that don't involve the FAA, FCC or other agencies
civilians have to deal with.

Yea, in CAP we have to meet both. We have to maintain our FAA
certificate to fly the AF owned aircraft and also maintain our CAP
qualifications (similar to the regular AF's). So you need to have a
Form 5 check every 12 months with a check pilot and need additional
check for things like instrument, night, and certain types of flying.

Well, yeah, since the CAP isn't military and the members aren't part of
the Armed Forces.

CAP is a military auxillary. All procedures and processes (including
AF checkrides) are dictated by the USAF. If you don't want to follow
USAF check out and currency procedures you cannot fly USAF owned
aircraft for CAP.

-Robert
Old January 23rd 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Jan 23, 9:45?am, wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:

On Jan 22, 9:45?pm, wrote:
The military has it's own procedures for qualifing pilots, boat captains,
radio/radar techs, etc. that don't involve the FAA, FCC or other agencies
civilians have to deal with.
Yea, in CAP we have to meet both. We have to maintain our FAA
certificate to fly the AF owned aircraft and also maintain our CAP
qualifications (similar to the regular AF's). So you need to have a
Form 5 check every 12 months with a check pilot and need additional
check for things like instrument, night, and certain types of flying.

Well, yeah, since the CAP isn't military and the members aren't part of
the Armed Forces.

CAP is a military auxillary. All procedures and processes (including
AF checkrides) are dictated by the USAF. If you don't want to follow
USAF check out and currency procedures you cannot fly USAF owned
aircraft for CAP.

That wan't meant as a put down of the CAP, merely a statement of fact.

Since CAP members are civilians, they have to meet FAA requirements.

Since the USAF is paying the tab, the USAF imposes it's own additional
requirements.

What's the problem?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 23rd 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:26:35 -0800, BT wrote:

The military pilot can take that current AF Form 8 to the nearest FSDO and
be issued a Civilian Pilot Certificate.

Nicely explained.

thx
--