A BFR question

Old January 25th 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

Default A BFR question

"Dallas" wrote in message ...

Being a new pilot I don't know much about the BFR process.

Over Xmas I was chatting with my pilot Brother-in-law about my new status
as a pilot when he stated that he thought he could just go to the local FBO
and rent an aircraft himself. I said yes and reminded him that he'd also
need a medical and a BFR.

He's a retired Air Force F-15 pilot with an FAA commercial ticket,
multiengine and instrument rating. Impressive stuff, but the last time he
flew was in 1983. While looking over a chart he had no idea what Bravo
airspace was.

It's pretty clear that his knowledge base is obsolete and he's not ready to
fly in today's sky. My question is, could he pass through the BFR process
in a couple of hours or would the instructor make him go back and hit the
books for a few weeks.

I'd hate to think the system would let him back up in the sky in his
current state.

--
Dallas

Some good stuff he
http://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_catalog.aspx

Old January 25th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

"Dallas" wrote in message

He's a retired Air Force F-15 pilot with an FAA commercial ticket,
multiengine and instrument rating. Impressive stuff, but the last time he
flew was in 1983. While looking over a chart he had no idea what Bravo
airspace was.

*wince*

It's pretty clear that his knowledge base is obsolete and he's not ready
fly in today's sky. My question is, could he pass through the BFR process
in a couple of hours or would the instructor make him go back and hit the
books for a few weeks.

I bet that if he's that seasoned of a pilot he'll correct his own course as
soon as he realizes the situation.

-c

Old January 26th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

And people wonder why I left CAP.

Yep, Joe and I left it, too -- mostly for reasons described here.

In fact, our whole squadron dissolved because of this kind of stuff. You
just can't get anything *done* in CAP without filling out tons of pointless
paperwork -- and that applies to everything, from moving the squadron's van
(from one parking spot to another), all the way up to getting an aircraft.
Eventually you just throw up your hands and move on.

It takes a very, very patient pilot, with virtually unlimited amounts of
time, to thrive in CAP.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 26th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 26, 5:27*am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

It takes a very, very patient pilot, with virtually unlimited amounts of
time, to thrive in CAP.

Or a really great squadron. We're fortunate in ours to have one that
is very well run with lots of people working so that no one individual
gets stuck trying to work though all the things you mentioned. I
believe we have two people who just manage the paperwork associated
with equipment. We have a refrigerator that we no longer want but
because its not dead we can't toss it out or donate it. We had 3 guys
volunteer to go down on a Monday afternoon and return it to the
Airforce. Most people in the squadron hold one main job and at least
one back up job. Luckily I've not been asked to do anything other than
serve as check pilot. I get to wear a cool "Flight Examiner" patch
and just fly. I'm not sure if this is typical or not but only about
10% of our adult members are pilots, so that may help fill the non-
piloting duties.

-Robert