PLANE DOES 360 AT 20000 FT!!!!

Old January 24th 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

Default PLANE DOES 360 AT 20000 FT!!!!

On Jan 23, 9:30*pm, george wrote:

CAT ?

Clear-air turbulence sounds like the most likely explanation, assuming
the computer didn't go berserk.

Phil
Old January 24th 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 20:25:26 -0800 (PST), Phil J
wrote in
:

On Jan 23, 9:30*pm, george wrote:

CAT ?

Clear-air turbulence sounds like the most likely explanation, assuming
the computer didn't go berserk.

The official wording of the incident:

http://www.tsb.gc.ca
On January 10, 2008, an Air Canada Airbus A319, registration
C-GBHZ, flight number 190, was enroute to Toronto from Victoria,
when at 0835 mountain standard time, while climbing from FL360 to
FL370, and at about 38 nautical miles south of Penticton, BC,
Canada, the aircraft experienced a sudden upset when it rolled
uncommanded 36 degrees right and then 57 degrees left and pitched
nose-down.

Of course, CAT describes atmospheric turbulence of unknown origins, so
it's rather general.

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraff...pubs/PCG/C.HTM
CLEAR AIR TURBULENCE (CAT)- Turbulence encountered in air where no
clouds are present. This term is commonly applied to high-level
turbulence associated with wind shear. CAT is often encountered in
the vicinity of the jet stream.

So where was the jet stream located on January 10, 2008 at 0135Z?

0000Z:

http://virga.sfsu.edu/pub/jetstream/...m_pac_anal.gif

0600 Z:

http://virga.sfsu.edu/pub/jetstream/...m_pac_anal.gif

All:
http://virga.sfsu.edu/pub/jetstream/..._pac/big/0801/

Animation: http://squall.sfsu.edu/scripts/jet_p..._archloop.html

And where is Penticton, BC located?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...oc=addr& om=0

It looks like the jet stream was meandering through the area at the
time, and its track shows an anomalous finger jutting to the north.
Given this information, it's hard to rule it out.

Even when contemplating crossing it from different angles it's
difficult to imagine the uncommanded rolls to have been induced by
wing-tip vortices from the wake of a heavy.

Old January 24th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
alexy

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

On Jan 23, 5:57*am, "Steve Foley" wrote:
I suspect the editor (or whoever wrote the headline) has no clue what a 360
is.

If you check out this guy's profile he just goes around posting stuff
he finds on the internet and then puts the subject in as all caps.
Notice he cross posted this to alt.guitar and alt.drugs so clearly its
not really aviation significant. As a pilot I agree, the author of the
report knows next to nothing about aviation. A 360 is common and
wouldn't upset anyone.

Well, I thought this quote was choice:

"The plane actually turned upside down
without actually feeling it. There were people on the roof. Coffe and ****
[was] flying all over the plane."

People on the roof, and they couldn't feel it? Even assuming he meant
"ceiling", I find it hard to believe that someone wouldn't be able to
feel that.
Old January 24th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 24, 9:17*am, alexy wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

People on the roof, and they couldn't feel it? Even assuming he meant
"ceiling", I find it hard to believe that someone wouldn't be able to
feel that.

"Hey, hun, I'm not sure but are we on the ceiling or do I need another
drink?"

-Robert
Old January 25th 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Even when contemplating crossing it from different angles it's
difficult to imagine the uncommanded rolls to have been induced by
wing-tip vortices from the wake of a heavy.

good analysis!
Old January 25th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"alexy" wrote

It sounds like some of Ken's ****, doesn't it?
--
Jim in NC

Old January 25th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

On Jan 24, 12:20*pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
On Jan 24, 9:17*am, alexy wrote:

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:
People on the roof, and they couldn't feel it? Even assuming he meant
"ceiling", I find it hard to believe that someone wouldn't be able to
feel that.

"Hey, hun, I'm not sure but are we on the ceiling or do I need another
drink?"

-Robert

Wow, there's lots more leg room up here. This must be what first
class is like!

Phil