CAP T182T Crash on Nov. 8

Old January 24th 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default CAP T182T Crash on Nov. 8

On Jan 24, 5:04 pm, Gig 601XL Builder
wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
" wrote in news:6320e4d4-a223-4d50-
:

On Jan 24, 10:19 am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
Correct. So if two pilots who have far superior skill and judegement
than you or I, that are flying one of the most technically advanced GA
aircraft on the market can get into trouble, the rest of us should
take a moment to pause.

-Robert
The G1000 equipped 182 may be technically advanced, but I'm not a big
fan of the backup instrument layout and the lack of an electrically-
driven turn coordinator.

Whats the backup consist of?

Bertie

Artificial Horizon, AS, Alt.

That's right...ignore my last.

Dan
Old January 24th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 21:53:22 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

" wrote in news:6320e4d4-a223-4d50-
:

On Jan 24, 10:19 am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Correct. So if two pilots who have far superior skill and judegement
than you or I, that are flying one of the most technically advanced GA
aircraft on the market can get into trouble, the rest of us should
take a moment to pause.

-Robert

The G1000 equipped 182 may be technically advanced, but I'm not a big
fan of the backup instrument layout and the lack of an electrically-
driven turn coordinator.

Whats the backup consist of?

ASI, altimeter, and vaccum driven attitude indicator (single vaccum
pump unlike the Nav II versions which have dual pumps).
Old January 25th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

wrote:

My experience is limited to one G1000-equipped C182, but the (albeit
anecdotal) evidence is that airplane has gone dark on several
occasions.

I'd call that a mighty small sample on which to base such a broad judgement,
wouldn't you?

What caused it to go dark on several occasions?

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old January 25th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

wrote:

Whats the backup consist of?

AI, ASI, DG offset down and to the right.

'Zat so?

How much time have you got with a G1000?

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old January 25th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

wrote:

No, the most likely reason for a G1000 dark screen is a software
problem.

Says who?

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old January 25th 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 24, 4:46*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote :

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
" wrote in
:

On Jan 24, 10:19 am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
Correct. So if two pilots who have far superior skill and
judegement than you or I, that are flying one of the most
technically advanced GA aircraft on the market can get into
trouble, the rest of us should take a moment to pause.

-Robert
The G1000 equipped 182 may be technically advanced, but I'm not a
big fan of the backup instrument layout and the lack of an
electrically- driven turn coordinator.

Whats the backup consist of?

Bertie

Artificial Horizon, AS, Alt.

Plenty ,unless they're the size of pennies or something.

No, they're full sized. I hadn't heard pilots complain about the
instruments before although some complain that putting them above the
throttles was not optimal.

-Robert
Old January 25th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_22_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
:

On Jan 24, 4:46*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote
innews:13pi2sn8jq4fpb1

@news.supernews.com:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
" wrote in
:

On Jan 24, 10:19 am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
Correct. So if two pilots who have far superior skill and
judegement than you or I, that are flying one of the most
technically advanced GA aircraft on the market can get into
trouble, the rest of us should take a moment to pause.

-Robert
The G1000 equipped 182 may be technically advanced, but I'm not a
big fan of the backup instrument layout and the lack of an
electrically- driven turn coordinator.

Whats the backup consist of?

Bertie

Artificial Horizon, AS, Alt.

Plenty ,unless they're the size of pennies or something.

No, they're full sized. I hadn't heard pilots complain about the
instruments before although some complain that putting them above the
throttles was not optimal.

you should see aht we have for standby!

The newer generation of 737's and what not have one compined stby thing
with tiny little gauges. I don't think I'd like to be stuck with them in
a dark cockpit.

Bertie
Old January 25th 08, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

Its easy to feel invulnerable as a pilot by dismissing all aviation
accidents as the result of a stupid action that you would not take.
Its not until you discover pilots with greater judgement than yourself
have died that you rethink that.

-Robert

Invulnerable? Where does that apply to me? I know that my abilities
and training are not as good as many so I make up for that with a
conservative approach to flying.

I don't fly in the mountains at night.

I don't fly near thunderstorms.

I don't fly in icing conditions.

I avoid the mountains when the winds are too high for me.

I don't risk running out of fuel.

I suspect that many of those you cite with supposedly greater
judgement who died are in fact people with more hours and training but
seriousdy screwed up judgement that killed them.

Ron Lee

Old January 25th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 24, 7:23 pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:
wrote:
My experience is limited to one G1000-equipped C182, but the (albeit
anecdotal) evidence is that airplane has gone dark on several
occasions.

I'd call that a mighty small sample on which to base such a broad judgement,
wouldn't you?

What caused it to go dark on several occasions?

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Relax, G1000 Boy.

From the beginning I said the evidence was anecdotal. I also said *I*
wasn't comfortable with no TC.

Go enjoy your G1000. I'm plenty happy with a 6 pack and a 430 WAAS.

Dan