Had WAY too much fun today...

Old October 19th 05, 07:52 PM
Simon Robbins

Default Had WAY too much fun today...

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
Had a 90 minute block on the schedule this afternoon and was convinced
when I woke at 6:30 it wasn't going to happen. It was raining and
winds were very gusty. Towards 12:30 it was starting to clear up and
I could see a few blue holes in the ceiling. I figured WTF, I'll head
to the airport and maybe I'll get lucky and it'll clear further.

My flying's been scrubbed now for over a week due to weather. It's really
frustrating as I'm waiting for a decent ceiling so the senior instructor can
check me out before I'm allowed to go solo. The week before last we were
dipping our heads in the cloud at circuit height so I've not had a really
good, clear flight for nearly three weeks. (And I'm reticent to keep
spending my money on simple airfield hovering and transition practice.)
Still, looks good for tomorrow, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Passed
my second written exam today. I've done Air Law (required for solo) and
Human Factors. Only about four more to go. I did a Met practice paper and
failed miserably, but I was expecting to!

Si

Old October 20th 05, 07:08 PM
Simon Robbins

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:52:47 +0100, "Simon Robbins"
I've got to get my writtens for commercial, instrument and instructor
all out of the way in the next 4-5 weeks... Talk about helicopter
overload! Glad you're getting the writtens out of the way..
Personally, that's the part of flying I hate..

The PPL exams in the UK are a joke to be honest, when you consider the level
of knowledge they're supposed to be testing. 20 to 40 multiple choice
questions on each paper only. Ok, it's still possible to get some wrong (I
got 86% in Air Law, 100% in Human Factors so far), but the trouble with
multiple choice is given a selection of answer it's possible to use common
sense enough to pass so they're not a good indication that you actually
understand the subject.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya for tomorrow.

It was a perfect day today. Only got one hour in this morning though as my
instructor was tied up in a meeting this afternoon that overran.... But I
had a good time anyway. Did some circuits and autos to about 15 ft. I'm
ready for first solo now that I've done them and passed Air Law, but the
heli's got a couple of gremlins that they want ironed out in it's
forthcoming service. Until then they've decided PPL student solos in it are
out. So... maybe next week!

Si

Old October 20th 05, 10:51 PM
boB

Simon Robbins wrote:

My flying's been scrubbed now for over a week due to weather. It's really
frustrating as I'm waiting for a decent ceiling so the senior instructor can
check me out before I'm allowed to go solo. The week before last we were
dipping our heads in the cloud at circuit height so I've not had a really
good, clear flight for nearly three weeks. (And I'm reticent to keep
spending my money on simple airfield hovering and transition practice.)
Still, looks good for tomorrow, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Passed
my second written exam today. I've done Air Law (required for solo) and
Human Factors. Only about four more to go. I did a Met practice paper and
failed miserably, but I was expecting to!

Si

You are making great progress. Congrats!!! Spending money doing
pattern work benefits you in many ways. Unlike a fixed wing, the
take-off in a helicopter isn't easy and the landing is way different.

You are doing very well.

--

boB,
SAG 70