Damaged 1982 Bikle trailer

Old October 1st 18, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Underhill

Default Damaged 1982 Bikle trailer

On September 20th my 1982 Bikle trailer was pulled from its ground stakes and heavily damaged either by a tornado or straight line winds. The fixed forward portion of the top was ripped clean off and deposited in a hedge. The rear clamshell portion was pulled off to one side and the lift arms were bent. I've started an insurance claim and the agent would like a quote on repair costs. My thought is to take it to a facility that specializes in fiberglass repair. Has anyone had to have their fiberglass trailer repaired? If so, what are your recommendations?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jjxrm76a7...YLBNCvq4a?dl=0

Thanks,

George
Old October 12th 18, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Monday, October 1, 2018 at 2:53:55 PM UTC-5, George Underhill wrote:
On September 20th my 1982 Bikle trailer was pulled from its ground stakes and heavily damaged either by a tornado or straight line winds. The fixed forward portion of the top was ripped clean off and deposited in a hedge. The rear clamshell portion was pulled off to one side and the lift arms were bent. I've started an insurance claim and the agent would like a quote on repair costs. My thought is to take it to a facility that specializes in fiberglass repair. Has anyone had to have their fiberglass trailer repaired? If so, what are your recommendations?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jjxrm76a7...YLBNCvq4a?dl=0

Thanks,

George

I think the repair would far exceed the insured value of the trailer. I suspect the technology used was similar to fiberglass boat construction, but cannot tell for sure. A boat repair place would be a good place to start.

Best of luck on the claim/repair.

Steve Leonard
Old October 12th 18, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Underhill

Thanks Steve.

I agree the repair costs will exceed the insured value. With a new Cobra at $16,500 plus shipping it looks like it will be a DIY job. Fiberglass or metal with ribs. Hopefully the lower section is still useable.

George