A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Damaged 1982 Bikle trailer

Old October 1st 18, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Underhill
external usenet poster

Default Damaged 1982 Bikle trailer

On September 20th my 1982 Bikle trailer was pulled from its ground stakes and heavily damaged either by a tornado or straight line winds. The fixed forward portion of the top was ripped clean off and deposited in a hedge. The rear clamshell portion was pulled off to one side and the lift arms were bent. I've started an insurance claim and the agent would like a quote on repair costs. My thought is to take it to a facility that specializes in fiberglass repair. Has anyone had to have their fiberglass trailer repaired? If so, what are your recommendations?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jjxrm76a7...YLBNCvq4a?dl=0

Thanks,

George
Old October 12th 18, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, October 1, 2018 at 2:53:55 PM UTC-5, George Underhill wrote:
On September 20th my 1982 Bikle trailer was pulled from its ground stakes and heavily damaged either by a tornado or straight line winds. The fixed forward portion of the top was ripped clean off and deposited in a hedge. The rear clamshell portion was pulled off to one side and the lift arms were bent. I've started an insurance claim and the agent would like a quote on repair costs. My thought is to take it to a facility that specializes in fiberglass repair. Has anyone had to have their fiberglass trailer repaired? If so, what are your recommendations?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jjxrm76a7...YLBNCvq4a?dl=0

Thanks,

George

I think the repair would far exceed the insured value of the trailer. I suspect the technology used was similar to fiberglass boat construction, but cannot tell for sure. A boat repair place would be a good place to start.

Best of luck on the claim/repair.

Steve Leonard
Old October 12th 18, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Underhill
external usenet poster

Thanks Steve.

I agree the repair costs will exceed the insured value. With a new Cobra at $16,500 plus shipping it looks like it will be a DIY job. Fiberglass or metal with ribs. Hopefully the lower section is still useable.

George