The Oshkosh Suite is finally done!

Old February 11th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default The Oshkosh Suite is finally done!

Warning! Danger! Shameless Self-Promotion!

After four years of preparation and two years of work, the "Oshkosh
Suite" -- our 17th aviation theme suite -- is finally complete!

With 24 consecutive Oshkosh Fly-Ins under our belts, we *knew* from
the moment we bought the hotel in '02 that we wanted to add an
"Oshkosh Suite" to the mix -- but it was going to require a BIG suite.
You see, we had a TON of stuff to put in the suite, and then the EAA
donated a whole bunch of vintage AirVenture posters for the suite,
going back to the 1970s! To say we had a LOT of artwork was a gross
understatement.

The framing shop LOVES us... ;-)

We finally decided that a 2-bedroom, 650 sq ft suite, with a full-
kitchen, living room and dining area would do the job -- and even THAT
huge suite would require that we could only display a fraction of what
we had!

To put that all in perspective, it took two full DAYS simply to hang
the artwork in the suite. There is just a ton of cool Oshkosh stuff
in there -- with even more to come!

Why am I telling you all this? Many (relative) newbies here probably
don't know that the folks in this newsgroup were instrumental in our
decision to buy an old airport hotel and convert it into a pilot's
dream destination. Every step along the way, from adding wireless
internet, to deciding to add a delivered breakfast each morning, we
have bounced ideas off of this group for approval/denial, and received
fantastically valuable input.

Our success is due, in large part, to the regulars here who so
patiently helped Mary and me determine what pilots liked -- and hated
-- in hotels, and we are forever appreciative of the thoughtful advice
we've received in this forum.

Here are some pix of the suite.

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/the_oshkosh_suite.htm

Unfortunately, my photos don't do the suite justice -- but they sort
of show the size of this suite. Whoever gets this one for our annual
"Pre-Oshkosh Fly-In Pool Party" (scheduled this year on Saturday, July
28th) will feel right at home!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 11th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Whoever gets this one for our annual
"Pre-Oshkosh Fly-In Pool Party" (scheduled this year on Saturday, July
28th) will feel right at home!

Correction: Our Fly-In Pool Party is schedule for Saturday, July
21st. You're welcome to come on the 28th -- but don't expect to see
Mary and me, cuz we'll be sitting in the North 40, drinking a beer!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 11th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Do Gail and I have dibsies on the Apollo Suite since we swapped Oshkosh for
Alaska last year?

Jim

oups.com...

Old February 11th 07, 07:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("RST Engineering" wrote)
Do Gail and I have dibsies on the Apollo Suite since we swapped Oshkosh
for Alaska last year?

Have you arranged for OSH lodging yet? I (did not) pre-sign you up for the
AC dorm.

BTW, I still have the Jim Weir (memorial) OSH chairs - they might be making
a trip to Sun & Fun this April. g

Montblack
Sleeping with the ultralights this year

Old February 11th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Do Gail and I have dibsies on the Apollo Suite since we swapped Oshkosh for
Alaska last year?

Darned tootin' you do -- I'll pencil you in!

Glad to hear you'll be making it back to OSH '07 -- it'll be our
"Silver Anniversary Oshkosh", beating our Silver wedding anniversary
by several years...

I told Mary that this milestone automatically qualifies us for a golf
cart at OSH. Now all we've gotta do is convince EAA!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 11th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Glad to hear you'll be making it back to OSH '07 -- it'll be our
"Silver Anniversary Oshkosh", beating our Silver wedding anniversary
by several years...

well, congrats!

I told Mary that this milestone automatically qualifies us for a golf
cart at OSH. Now all we've gotta do is convince EAA!

Just bring it in the back of Atlas! eg

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old February 11th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

BTW, I still have the Jim Weir (memorial) OSH chairs - they might be making
a trip to Sun & Fun this April. g

Things are firming up from our end -- hopefully they're still okay
from yours? If so, we *will* be attending SNF '07 in April, even if I
have to crawl to it on my hands and knees...

Jim, have "The Chairs" ever been to Lakeland? If not, we'd be glad to
set them up on the flightline for you while we're there. Or do you
think there is some sort of bad karma associated with setting them up
outside of the hallowed Oshkosh grounds?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 11th 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

I told Mary that this milestone automatically qualifies us for a golf
cart at OSH. Now all we've gotta do is convince EAA!

Just bring it in the back of Atlas! eg

Maybe I can fit one of those little electric wheelchairs in the back,
if I leave the kids home...?

;-)

You gonna make it to OSH this year, Bob?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 11th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jim, have "The Chairs" ever been to Lakeland? If not, we'd be glad to
set them up on the flightline for you while we're there. Or do you
think there is some sort of bad karma associated with setting them up
outside of the hallowed Oshkosh grounds?

No, I've only been to SNF once, about 30 years ago. It was OK, sort of, but
nothing to make me travel diagonally across the country for again. That is
one mother long trip from Northern California, even IF we did it on the
torch.

Jim

Old February 11th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article . com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

You gonna make it to OSH this year, Bob?

Nope. :-(

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the