Torque for prop bolts

Old August 28th 06, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
ELIPPSE

Default Torque for prop bolts

Scott wrote:
Quick question for the group. When setting the torque on prop bolts (I
have bolts with nuts), if the hole for the cotter pin doesn't line up
with the castleated nut at the proper torque setting, is it better to go
tighter or looser to get the hole lined up. My gut instinct says
tighter, but....

Scott

Use a pair of Belleville washers rated for about 2000 lb under each
bolt head, installed with their conacave sides facing each other. See
if you can get to the recently-deceased Vance Jaqua's web site, and see
his write-up on the Belleville use.

Old August 28th 06, 12:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

That is the answer I was looking for (a quote from AC 43.13)...I can't
find my copy. Now, can you define "friction drag" ? If I know what
that is, I'll have 'er whipped! Thanks!

Scott

Jester wrote:

Scott wrote:

Quick question for the group. When setting the torque on prop bolts (I
have bolts with nuts), if the hole for the cotter pin doesn't line up
with the castleated nut at the proper torque setting, is it better to go
tighter or looser to get the hole lined up. My gut instinct says
tighter, but....

Scott

From chapter 7 of the AC 43.13-1B

"f. When installing a castle nut, start
alignment with the cotter pin hole at the minimum
recommended torque plus friction drag
torque.

NOTE: Do not exceed the maximum
torque plus the friction drag. If the
hole and nut castellation do not align,
change washer or nut and try again.
Exceeding the maximum recommended
torque is not recommended."

This is also what I remember from school.

Jesse M.
PP-ASEL
A&P

Old August 28th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Scott wrote:
That is the answer I was looking for (a quote from AC 43.13)...I can't
find my copy. Now, can you define "friction drag" ? If I know what
that is, I'll have 'er whipped! Thanks!

Scott

Friction drag is the drag exerted by the locking feature of the
nut, whether it's a nylon ring or a crimped metal collar. The amount of
torque required to turn the nut on the threads before any tension is
put on the bolt is added to the torque spec so that the proper tension
is achieved in the bolt (or stud). It can be critical especially with
all-metal locknuts; they are pretty tight on the threads.

Dan

Old August 29th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
pbc76049

"jerry wass" wrote in message
.. .
pbc76049 wrote:

Hey, never thot of swappin nuts--thanx

My Pleasure... It's the simple stuff that makes life a joy.
Have a great say.....
Scott.

Torque Value for Mounting an O-320 wide deck. Ebby Home Built 2 May 31st 06 01:00 AM
VW 1.2 Diesel. What does MAX TORQUE 18k-24k mean ??? Montblack Home Built 6 April 17th 06 07:03 PM
Proper Torque for Fuel Fittings Steve Waltner Home Built 10 February 20th 05 12:46 AM
Bolt torque Neal Fulco Home Built 1 October 16th 04 06:57 AM
Prop bolt torque setting Whunicut Home Built 2 September 4th 03 12:12 PM