Winds Aloft Overlay on AOPA Internet Flight Planner

Old March 10th 09, 07:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Hiro

Default Winds Aloft Overlay on AOPA Internet Flight Planner

Perhaps may of you have already used the AOPA's Internet Flight
Planner. I'm assuming that the software is powered by Jeppesen's
Internet Flight Planner. I have noticed that you can overlay the
winds aloft on the chart. It looks to me that the winds aloft
information presented on this program is much more detailed than the
winds aloft available from www.aviationweather.gov. For example, you
have a lot more winds aloft stations than the aviationweather.gov on
the map. It also looks to me that the winds aloft can be attained in
the increment of less than 3000ft, which is not possible in
aviationweather.gov. Does anybody know where this software is getting
this winds aloft data from? How reliable is this? -- i.e.) winds
aloft at 7500ft and 8000ft are indicated slightly different.

I was looking at the help file on the AOPA's Internet Flight Planner,
but no further information was provided. I am curious to see if there
are many other winds aloft stations than just the ones available at
aviationweather.gov.
Old March 10th 09, 07:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Hiro

On Mar 10, 1:45*am, Hiro wrote:
[...]

I also just noticed that the New Flight Path Tool (Java Tool) provided
by aviationweather.gov also provides much more detailed winds aloft
information. How is this possible while there are less number of
stations available on their FB report?

Old March 10th 09, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Hiro

On Mar 10, 3:19*am, Tman wrote:
Hiro wrote:
On Mar 10, 1:45 am, Hiro wrote:

* *For example, you
have a lot more winds aloft stations than the aviationweather.gov on
the map. *It also looks to me that the winds aloft can be attained in
the increment of less than 3000ft, which is not possible in
aviationweather.gov. *

I also just noticed that the New Flight Path Tool (Java Tool) provided
by aviationweather.gov also provides much more detailed winds aloft
information. *How is this possible while there are less number of
stations available on their FB report?

interpolation?

At first, I was thinking that this could be just the interpolation.
However, I could not find any information that those are interpolated
information. Where in the official document did you find that
information?
Old March 10th 09, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Mar 10, 6:02*pm, Hiro wrote:
On Mar 10, 3:19*am, Tman wrote:

Hiro wrote:
On Mar 10, 1:45 am, Hiro wrote:

* *For example, you
have a lot more winds aloft stations than the aviationweather.gov on
the map. *It also looks to me that the winds aloft can be attained in
the increment of less than 3000ft, which is not possible in
aviationweather.gov. *
I also just noticed that the New Flight Path Tool (Java Tool) provided
by aviationweather.gov also provides much more detailed winds aloft
information. *How is this possible while there are less number of
stations available on their FB report?

interpolation?

At first, I was thinking that this could be just the interpolation.
However, I could not find any information that those are interpolated
information. *Where in the official document did you find that
information?

If you look at the data for the reported altitudes, you can check to
see if the winds given at the in-between altitudes are interpolated
values. My guess is they are.
Old March 11th 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tman[_2_]

Hiro wrote:
Where in the official document did you find that
information?

i was just guessing...