Logan Contest Reporting

Old July 25th 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Logan Contest Reporting

The following message from Ken Sorenson speaks for the Rules Committee
and the rest of the contest commitee on the subject of contest reports
from Logan. Please especially note that NO ONE from SSA censored the
previously posted reports.
UH
Ken's message:
Many of us enjoy following contests by reading the contest reports
posted on the SSA website. Contest organizers are encouraged to post
these daily reports and are responsible for selecting the reporters
and posting the reports. There has never been any structure within the
SSA to "manage" the reporters or the reporting -- please remember that
the SSA management of contests is done entirely by a small group of
dedicated volunteers, all of whom already have plenty to do without
trying to manage contest reporters and reporting.

The contest organizers at the recent and ongoing Logan, UT contests
have apparently elected to change reporters at the contest, which is
within their authority to do. Frank Paynter's unofficial reports will
continue to be available at www.soaringcafe.com. Please note that
unofficial reports have been available previously from other reporters
on personal blogs and other websites for this and other contests.

We apologize for any inconvenience the change in contest reporting at
Logan has caused and hope everyone will continue to enjoy following
the progress of the ongoing 15M Nationals on the SSA website and
elsewhere.

Ken Sorenson
SSA Contest Committee Chairman
Old July 25th 11, 10:34 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
[...]

As one who reads and enjoys any reports about ongoing contests I would like to ask just where these other reports might be? I think we all knew Franks would be available on the SSA site and Soaring Cafe, well written with a bit of humor which I always appreciated.

Who may I ask are the new reporters and where might we find their writings, ramblings, notes, anecdotes, scribblings, comments and the like? Inquiring minds want to know.

Walt
Old July 26th 11, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Berry[_2_]

In article ,
Berry wrote:

Good to hear this from Ken. Glad to hear also that the SSA did not
censor the reports. The question is: Who pulled down the previous day
reports from the SSA site?

Oh, never mind. I spoke too soon. Tim Taylor's post in the original
thread clears that up.

Thanks
Old July 26th 11, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Who may I ask are the new reporters and where might we find their
writings, ramblings, notes, anecdotes, scribblings, comments and the
like? *Inquiring minds want to know.

I was only there for the Regionals and my ramblings usually only cover
my own flights (for friends & family that want to follow along) - but
you're more than welcome to read my contest Blogs on my SSA page:
http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=1864823698&show=blog

Enjoy,

--Noel

Old July 26th 11, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Jul 26, 12:18*pm, Berry wrote:
In article ,

*Berry wrote:

Good to hear this from Ken. Glad to hear also that the SSA did not
censor the reports. The question is: Who pulled down the previous day
reports from the SSA site?

Oh, never mind. I spoke too soon. Tim Taylor's post in the original
thread clears that up.

Thanks

I personally removed the reports from the SSA Official Contest site
after *ALL* the contest management folks agreed to the action. We
discussed and understood the risk associated with this action.

Ron Gleason
15 Meter Nationals Scorer and Logan contest ground coordinator etc
Old July 27th 11, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
hretting

Ken, I took your advice and erase my tactifully humorious reply.

Ron, on behalf of the SSA community, we appreciate all the hard work
that you and your fellow contest volunteers do and wish great days
ahead of you.

"Frank, go put a bucket over your head."

"GOOOOOD Chiken, Love dem bisqits, TOO!"
Old July 27th 11, 08:07 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel.wade View Post

Who may I ask are the new reporters and where might we find their
writings, ramblings, notes, anecdotes, scribblings, comments and the
like? *Inquiring minds want to know.

I was only there for the Regionals and my ramblings usually only cover
my own flights (for friends & family that want to follow along) - but
you're more than welcome to read my contest Blogs on my SSA page:
http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=1864823698&show=blog

Enjoy,

--Noel
Good stuff, I enjoyed reading your blog. One can learn things delving into the mindset of the competitive racing pilot. I especially like the comment, ""Blue Flame" asian restaurant in Ephrata (relatively new place with good Asian food; not upscale but then nothing in Ephrata is)" I'm sure the Ephrata folks will appreciate that, ha ha. Seriously though those of us who are limited in their opportunity to fly let alone race can appreciate the contests thru the eyes and writings of those in attendance. Your extensive pieces indicate that perhaps YOU should be doing the reporting. The problem is finding the individual blogs and sites where this information is reported. At least I knew where Frank Paynter's was. Maybe you should post on Soaring Cafe? Keep it up.

Walt

Walt
Old July 27th 11, 08:13 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Gleason View Post
On Jul 26, 12:18*pm, Berry wrote:
In article ,

*Berry wrote:

Good to hear this from Ken. Glad to hear also that the SSA did not
censor the reports. The question is: Who pulled down the previous day
reports from the SSA site?

Oh, never mind. I spoke too soon. Tim Taylor's post in the original
thread clears that up.

Thanks

I personally removed the reports from the SSA Official Contest site
after *ALL* the contest management folks agreed to the action. We
discussed and understood the risk associated with this action.

Ron Gleason
15 Meter Nationals Scorer and Logan contest ground coordinator etc
But Ron, that's censorship. Just because one can, does not mean one should. While you might have disagreed with Frank's comments, to delete them in my opinion creates a dangerous precedence.

cen·sor·ship/ˈsensərˌSHip/
Noun: The practice of officially examining books, movies, etc., and suppressing unacceptable parts.

Walt
Old July 27th 11, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary[_5_]

On Jul 26, 5:08*pm, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Jul 26, 12:18*pm, Berry wrote:

In article ,

*Berry wrote:

Good to hear this from Ken. Glad to hear also that the SSA did not
censor the reports. The question is: Who pulled down the previous day
reports from the SSA site?

Oh, never mind. I spoke too soon. Tim Taylor's post in the original
thread clears that up.

Thanks

I personally removed the reports from the SSA Official Contest site
after *ALL* the contest management folks agreed to the action. *We
discussed and understood the risk associated with this action.

Ron Gleason
15 Meter Nationals Scorer and Logan contest ground coordinator etc

So Ron, the section of Frank's report that the management found
objectionable has been pointed out....... but why it was thought to be
unacceptable has not been clearly defined or explained. That would
help us better understand the reason and possibly (or not) agree with
the decision. Personally, I think Frank breathes a lot of fresh air
into contest reports without resorting to "How many words can I write"
tactics.

Gary Adams GA2