Soaring Hell - Arizona

Old January 19th 04, 03:56 PM
Michael Stringfellow

Default Soaring Hell - Arizona

I'm not going to submit anywhere in Arizona as a candidate for "Best Soaring
Site". At least down here in the Phoenix area, we can only soar reliably
for about nine months of the year. Soaring conditions are a bit spotty from
November through January (we only made about 100 miles cross-country last
Saturday, with cloudbase down low at 8,500 feet - and it was cold, only 72
degrees at the field). When it does warm up, the thermals are big, strong
and nasty. Kind of like flying in surf!

And when you turn up at the field to soar, they make you race!

Soaring is hell here!

Mike the Strike

ASW 20 WA

Old January 19th 04, 04:26 PM
Markus Gayda

Michael Stringfellow wrote:
I'm not going to submit anywhere in Arizona as a candidate for "Best Soaring
Site". At least down here in the Phoenix area, we can only soar reliably
for about nine months of the year. Soaring conditions are a bit spotty from
November through January (we only made about 100 miles cross-country last
Saturday, with cloudbase down low at 8,500 feet - and it was cold, only 72
degrees at the field). When it does warm up, the thermals are big, strong
and nasty. Kind of like flying in surf!

And when you turn up at the field to soar, they make you race!

Soaring is hell here!

Mike the Strike

ASW 20 WA

eheh... Mike... did you forget the [sarcasm ON] tag in you message?

8500 feet.... holy cow... and ONLY nine months.

Here in Germany we are lucky to get 6000feet AGL cloud base and 6 months
a year for soaring.... :-)

you are a lucky pilot... (especially when you own a ASW20)

CU
Markus
Old January 19th 04, 04:31 PM
Shawn Curry

Michael Stringfellow wrote:

I'm not going to submit anywhere in Arizona as a candidate for "Best Soaring
Site". At least down here in the Phoenix area, we can only soar reliably
for about nine months of the year. Soaring conditions are a bit spotty from
November through January (we only made about 100 miles cross-country last
Saturday, with cloudbase down low at 8,500 feet - and it was cold, only 72
degrees at the field). When it does warm up, the thermals are big, strong
and nasty. Kind of like flying in surf!

And when you turn up at the field to soar, they make you race!

Soaring is hell here!

Mike the Strike

ASW 20 WA

Sounds like crap. You should move to Colorado where there's lift year
round.
Old January 19th 04, 05:43 PM
Shirley

"Michael Stringfellow" wrote:

I'm not going to submit anywhere in Arizona
as a candidate for "Best Soaring Site". At least
down here in the Phoenix area, we can only soar
reliably for about nine months of the year.

[snip]

I was wondering when someone was going to post about how rough we have it here
in AZ! A visitor flying airplanes was complaining yesterday because he's been
here since October and only had a couple of opportunities to fly in IMC. Damn!
:-)

--Shirley

Old January 20th 04, 04:33 AM
Ted Wagner

Since I've only been forced to suffer the soaring in Arizona since I started four months ago today, I can only dread the eight in front of me. Fortunately there seems to be a terrific core of pilots in the state to act as a support group, and I look forward to meeting both of them. Heheheee.

I can't wait for my first visit to Minden (and beyond that sometime, southern France), but until then, this new pilot sees many reasons why he's called the Land of AZ home since 1990.

-el tedro in temp (not at all biased)

Old January 20th 04, 03:55 PM
Nyal Williams

How do you know if you're any good if bricks can climb
to 10K???

Come out east and see how well you can thermal in cigarette
smoke!

At 04:36 20 January 2004, Ted Wagner wrote:

How do you know if you're any good if the thermals
are so good that bricks can soar above 10K????????

Come back east and see how well you can do thermalling
cigarette smoke!

Old January 20th 04, 03:57 PM
Michael Stringfellow

Yes, tongue firmly in cheek!

But at 6,000 feet AGL, you are probably in gliding range of half a dozen
other gliderports with lots of nice fields in which to to land on the way.
And it's easier to find good beer.

Mike