"Analyst: Obama Would Be A Nightmare For Defense Programs, Firms"

Old April 25th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
Bob Matthews

Default "Analyst: Obama Would Be A Nightmare For Defense Programs, Firms"

Mark Sieving wrote:
On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 12:05:25 GMT, Ed Rasimus
wrote:

You might recall that the oil shortages of 1976 were caused by the
Carter administration assertion that we would be out of oil by 2000.

Can't say that I do. Do you have a cite for that assertion?

Incidentally, since the Carter administration started January 20,
1977, how did an assertion by that administration cause shortages in
1976?

And don't forget his 55 MPH national speed limit to save us oil.

The 55 mph speed limit started in 1974, during Nixon's administration.

No kidding. Professor Ed's knowledge of history matches his skill at
economic analysis. Maybe next he'll accuse Jane Fonda of imposing wage
and price controls in August of 1971.

Typical crackpot blather.

Cheers

==bob
Old April 25th 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
Bob Matthews

wrote:

You might recall that the oil shortages of 1976 were caused by the
Carter administration assertion that we would be out of oil by 2000.
And don't forget his 55 MPH national speed limit to save us oil.

I'm pretty darn sure the Carter administration did not take office
until January, 1977. The oil crisis that caused the enaction of the
55mph speed limit happened in 1973.

How dare you cite facts that contradict Professor Ed's dogma? The fact
that he's two Presidents off does nothing to diminish the elegance of
his reasoning.

Cheers

==bob

Old April 25th 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
Ray O'Hara[_2_]

"Jack Linthicum" wrote in message
On Apr 24, 3:16 pm, eyeball wrote:
the government has never been bigger than it is now under the

republicans.
the way you wingnut fools can go on about big government and

government
spendings when its you who are pushing the first and benefiting from
the later while decrying both is as hinesquaters says hilarious.

You forgot to take off your tinfoil hat long enough to insist 9/11 and
the security concerns since was a right wing conspiracy...

No, but falling asleep on the watch and using security as a shield
against illegal activity might fall into that category. Plus the
obvious fascination with torture even before any al Qaeda prisoners
were available.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...v=rss_politics

eyelash is a classic.
he screams "conspiricy theorist" at any who don't worship bush.

Old April 26th 08, 11:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
Cubdriver

Someone can explain to me the contradictory justapoxition of "tax cuts"
and "increases in federal revenue" ?

Sure. Federal revenues today are higher than they were in 2000. That's
because Bush cut taxes.

Same thing happened when Reagan cut taxes.

Same thing happened when Kennedy cut taxes.

Lower taxe RATES = more economic activity in areas exposed to taxes.
Works especially well when it comes to capital gains. Nobody has to
pay a capital gains tax; it's entirely optional. At Bush's 15 percent,
people don't mind taking profits and paying the tax on them. At
Obama's 28 percent, the money will mostly stay locked up, and 28
percent of nothing is ... nothing.

When faced with this fact at the Philadelphia "debate", Obama was
quite honest. It was all about fairness, he said. In other words, no
matter if the revenue goes down!

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com
Old April 26th 08, 11:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
Cubdriver

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 07:54:26 -0500, Mark Sieving
wrote:

You might recall that the oil shortages of 1976 were caused by the
Carter administration assertion that we would be out of oil by 2000.

Can't say that I do. Do you have a cite for that assertion?

Actually, I recall it as "twenty-five years".

It was much cited around here, where Onassis wanted to build an oil
refinery. No point, went the argument; there would be no oil left in
twenty-five years.

It was the conventional wisdom, and it remains the conventional
wisdom, though it's phrased a bit more intelligently now.

So Ed in my judgment was a year off, and the shortage of course wasn't
caused by the assertion but by the gas rationing.

You can ration by administrative fiat, as Carter did, or you can
ration by price, as Reagan did. Price works better. My heart really
bleeds when I see those TV film clips about the suffering American
middle class paying $100 to fill up its SUV. I bought my first new car
in 1962. It was a VW Beetle that got 30 mpg. (Yeah, yeah, dangerous as
hell. I get the sweats when I look at a Beetle today and recall that I
drove that thing twice across the country.) I've always had
fuel-efficient cars, and while I don't particularly care to spend
$3.50 a gallon, I'll pay it if that's what it takes to clear the
market.

Old April 26th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
Mark Sieving

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 06:48:00 -0400, Cubdriver usenet AT danford DOT
net wrote:

Sure. Federal revenues today are higher than they were in 2000. That's
because Bush cut taxes.

This is what is technically referred to as a post hoc ergo prompter
hoc fallacy.

Federal tax revenues for 2007 were about $100 billion more than in
2000. Federal tax revenues were about $1,000 billion more in 2000
than they were in 1992.

While there's no doubt that an excessive tax rate will reduce total
revenue, total tax revenue has been increasing pretty steadily for the
past forty years, regardless of whatever tweaks have been made to
marginal tax rates. The exception to that steady increase was in GW
Bush's first term, between 2000 and 2003, when total revenue dropped
about 400 billion dollars.
Old April 26th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
Mark Sieving

wrote:

You might recall that the oil shortages of 1976 were caused by the
Carter administration assertion that we would be out of oil by 2000.

Can't say that I do. Do you have a cite for that assertion?

Actually, I recall it as "twenty-five years".

It was much cited around here, where Onassis wanted to build an oil
refinery. No point, went the argument; there would be no oil left in
twenty-five years.

But who in the Carter administration said this, when, and in what
context?
Old April 26th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
Bert Hyman

wrote:

You might recall that the oil shortages of 1976 were caused by the
Carter administration assertion that we would be out of oil by 2000.

Can't say that I do. Do you have a cite for that assertion?

Actually, I recall it as "twenty-five years".

It was much cited around here, where Onassis wanted to build an oil
refinery. No point, went the argument; there would be no oil left in
twenty-five years.

But who in the Carter administration said this, when, and in what
context?

You'll have to ignore for a moment the fact that Carter didn't take
office 'til 1977, so no statement of his administration could have
caused an oil shortage in 1976.

Still:

Jimmy Carter
The Energy Problem: Address to the Nation.
April 18th, 1977

The oil and natural gas that we rely on for 75 percent of our
energy are simply running out. In spite of increased effort,
domestic production has been dropping steadily at about 6
percent a year. Imports have doubled in the last 5 years. Our
Nation's economic and political independence is becoming
increasingly vulnerable. Unless profound changes are made to
lower oil consumption, we now believe that early in the 1980's
the world will be demanding more oil than it can produce.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/print.php?pid=7369

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old April 26th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
Dave[_20_]

On Apr 22, 10:28 am, "La N" wrote:
"Jack Linthicum" wrote in message

SNIP

SNIP

Carter, the closest thing we have ever had to a real active duty
officer, not staff or command, wanted everything justified and cut if
unjustified.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'real active duty officer'.

Carter never came under fire. G.H.W. Bush, JFK, Truman, Theodore Roosevelt,
Garfield, Hayes, Grant, Lincoln, Harrison, Jackson and Washington all did.

And I would suggest that since Eisenhower was able to survive in the US
Army through the 1920's and 30's, then he must have been pretty familiar
with how to justify what was necessary and what was not.

Old April 26th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
Mark Sieving

On 26 Apr 2008 17:53:03 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

Jimmy Carter
The Energy Problem: Address to the Nation.
April 18th, 1977

Thanks.

Phrase "landing runway" vs. "cleared to land" Robert M. Gary Piloting 168 February 5th 08 05:32 PM
Phrase "landing runway" vs. "cleared to land" Robert M. Gary Instrument Flight Rules 137 February 5th 08 05:32 PM
Old polish aircraft TS-8 "Bies" ("Bogy") - for sale >pk Aviation Marketplace 0 October 16th 06 07:48 AM
2007 Defense Budget: Changes in Aircraft Programs. Mike Naval Aviation 0 January 6th 06 06:33 PM