SENATOR SPOKE FOR MANY ON HILL WHEN HE BLAMED ISRAEL FOR WAR

Old May 21st 04, 02:03 AM
MORRIS434

Default SENATOR SPOKE FOR MANY ON HILL WHEN HE BLAMED ISRAEL FOR WAR

Subj: Hollings Speaks for Many in Congress
Date: 5/20/04 1:06:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time

SENATOR SPOKE FOR MANY ON HILL WHEN HE BLAMED ISRAEL FOR WAR
Special to WorldTribune.com -- Thursday, May 20, 2004

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtri...reaking_3.html

A U.S. senator's charge that Israel is behind the Bush
administrations's decision to invade Iraq has rattled American Jewish leaders.

Sen. Ernest Hollings, a South Carolina Democrat, wrote a column that
appeared in several newspapers. The column asserted that the U.S. war
against Iraq represented a decision by President George Bush to protect
Israel and ensure American Jewish support for his reelection. The column
reflects a growing sentiment in the corridors of power in Washington
according to congressional sources. [
http://hollings.senate.gov/%7ehollin...004506A17.html ]

The view attributes the U.S. war in Iraq to the so-called
neo-conservatives in the administration, particularly Deputy Defense
Secretary Paul Wolfowitz and former Pentagon adviser Richard Perle,
Middle East Newsline reported. Both men are Jewish.

"There is a strong fear among American Jewish leadership that the
whispering campaign that 'the Jews started it,' will become public," a
senior congressional staffer said. "We could be seeing others get on
Hollings' bandwagon."

"Bush felt tax cuts would hold his crowd together and spreading
democracy in the Mideast to secure Israel would take the Jewish vote
from the Democrats," Hollings said in a column first published on May 6
in the Charleston Post and Courier. "You don't come to town and announce
your Israel policy is to invade Iraq."

Congressional sources said Hollings was expressing a view that has
become increasingly prevalent in Congress and parts of the administration.

The column was reprinted on Hollings's website.

The administration has been debating a U.S. exit strategy from Iraq that
appears to pit elements of the Defense Department against the State
Department. The debate includes the affect of a short-term U.S. military
withdrawal from Iraq on Washington's allies in the Middle East,
particularly in the Gulf Cooperation Council. Such a U.S. withdrawal,
Pentagon officials warned, could threaten these Gulf Arab states.

"They [Arab leaders] are more worried that we will lose our patience
with the difficult tasks of stabilizing those places and will walk away
and come home and bring up the drawbridges and defend Fortress America,"
U.S. Central Command chief Gen. John Abizaid told the Senate Armed
Services Committee on Wednesday." "I reassured our friends that we are
tough, that we cannot be defeated militarily, and that we will stay the
course."

For his part, Hollings said Israel has never claimed that Iraq
maintained a weapons of mass destruction arsenal. The senator, who later
refused to retract his statements,
said Wolfowitz's advocacy of a plan to promote democracy among Arab
states comprised an Israeli initiative.

"With Iraq no threat, why invade a sovereign country?" Hollings asked.
"The answer: President Bush's policy to secure Israel. Led by Wolfowitz,
Richard Perle and Charles Krauthammer, for years there has been a domino
school of thought that the way to guarantee Israel's security is to
spread democracy in the area."

Hollings said Bush realized that he would be unable to bring about an
Arab-Israeli peace to help his reelection efforts. Instead, Bush started
laying the groundwork to invade Iraq days after his inauguration in 2001.

The senator said Wolfowitz persuaded Bush that the war against Iraq
would take a week. Hollings said Vice President Richard Cheney was
convinced U.S. troops would be greeted as liberators.

"In the Mideast, terrorism is a separate problem to be defeated by
diplomacy and negotiation, not militarily," Hollings said. "Here, might
does not make right - right makes might. Acting militarily, we have
created more terrorism than we have eliminated."

A Neoconservative cabal (most of whom are Jewish Zionist racist extremists)
have pushed the USA into an invasion/occupation (in Iraq and beyond if the
cabal continues to get its way) which is not in America's interest:

http://www.amconmag.com/03_24_03/cover.html

http://www.robert-fisk.com/articles114.htm

War for Israel?:

http://www.itszone.co.uk/zone0/viewtopic.php?t=14695

More on PNAC:

http://www.sundayherald.com/27735

War Conceived in Israel:

http://www.thornwalker.com/ditch/snieg_conc1.htm

Israel is the Problem (see the 'A Clean Break' document which is embedded as a
link at the following URL):

http://www.antiwar.com/justin/j100603.html

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20020902&s=vest

http://www.counterpunch.org/avnery04102003.html

http://www.nogw.com/warforisrael.html

http://www.nowarforisrael.com

http://www.fpp.co.uk/online/02/12/Counterpunch_1.html

http://www.vdare.com/misc/macdonald_neoconservatism.htm
Old May 23rd 04, 03:05 AM
Merlin Dorfman

MORRIS434 ) wrote:
: Subj: Hollings Speaks for Many in Congress
: Date: 5/20/04 1:06:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time

: SENATOR SPOKE FOR MANY ON HILL WHEN HE BLAMED ISRAEL FOR WAR
: Special to WorldTribune.com -- Thursday, May 20, 2004

: http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtri...reaking_3.html

Read the speech. It doesn't blame Israel, it blames Wolfowitz,
Perle, etc.:
http://hollings.senate.gov/~hollings/opinion/2004506A17.html