Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 8th 18, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 9:34:10 PM UTC-4, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 8:42:40 PM UTC-4, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 7:01:38 PM UTC-4, Tom BravoMike wrote:
How come nobody mentions positive faps in this discussion?
Am I missing sth? Are they useless in situations when the tug is too slow?
If so, why? Please illuminate me.

Flaps add a lot of drag. The first time I had a stall on tow,
I pulled down landing flaps, which recovered the stall and
almost put the towplane in the trees. I eased off the flap
and somehow he sped up without hitting anything.
Please do not try this at home.

Be safe out there,
Best Regards, Dave

PS: I think flaps do have the benefit of improving the lift
distribution on tow, which slightly compensates for the bad effects.

OK, so we are talking here 'nothing or everything'. Landing flaps are
on the extreme end. The Ventus manual tells you to go from '0' to '+1'
on take off if necessary (eg. with water). And yes, it does depend how
much extra power the tow plane has. The golden middle rule applies...

I was already at flaps +2 due to inadequate tow speed, L is next step...
Certainly not "all or nothing"...