Accident report removed?

Old August 5th 18, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

Default Accident report removed?

Anyone know why the Arcus accident report post from earlier was deleted?

Boggs
Old August 5th 18, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

No clue, I saw it as well.
Maybe ongoing investigation?
Looks like it is now in the public domain, so findable, unless the FAA/NTSB removed it?

I am just glad both pilots survived.
Old August 5th 18, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...relim&IType=LA
Old August 5th 18, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Report says they were having a nice day, then a thud and rudder pedals moved suddenly.

I wonder if they have enough of the rudder to look for some sort of mid air collision damage.
Old August 5th 18, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]

Copy and paste the address in the JS post on Google and it's there.

KS
Old August 5th 18, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have stalled the fin several times on a Nimbus-3. To make the beast turn, it took full aileron and rudder and if the ailerons didn't react fast enough, the full rudder could stall the fin. If it did, the dirty air cast from the stalled fin, would suck the rudder full over with a thud as the rudder hit its stop! At the same time the other rudder pedal would snap back smartly. It took all the force I could muster to force the rudder back to neutral!
Just saying,
JJ
Old August 6th 18, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

I'm assisting a team flying an Arcus-T for next week's Nationals at Uvalde. Do I understand correctly that its cockpit and fuselage are the same as for the Duo Discus XL? If so, then is the rigging for both front and back rudder pedals the same too and is there any history of mechanical problems with cables/rods?

Old August 6th 18, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

I kind of doubt it is a pilot error, but some sort of mid air collision should be considered as well. I recall few years ago a dual fatality in Europe due to losing horizontal stabilizer to a mid air collision with a large bird. We may never know.

Ramy
Old August 6th 18, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 6:35:08 PM UTC-7, Duster wrote:
I'm assisting a team flying an Arcus-T for next week's Nationals at Uvalde. Do I understand correctly that its cockpit and fuselage are the same as for the Duo Discus XL? If so, then is the rigging for both front and back rudder pedals the same too and is there any history of mechanical problems with cables/rods?

Tracing the roots back to 1974: The Arcus fuselage is based on a Duo XL which was an X/Duo which was a Nimbus 4DL/4D which was a Nimbus 3D which was a Janus Ce which started as a Janus.

Duo, X, XL with all -T variants are the most common generation of this family.
From the Duo manual.

3. Inspections
Remark:
To ensure the airworthiness of the sailplane the following inspections and
maintenance should be conducted according
- section 3, 4 and 9 of the Maintenance Manual

3.1 Prescribed inspections of the airframe
• Rudder cables
Every 200 flying hours and at every annual survey, the rudder cables are
to be inspected wherever accessible (see FAA AC 43.13-1A § 198) and
the point where they feed through the S-shaped guides to the pedals,
particularly with the pedals in their extreme positions. If the cables are
damaged, worn or corroded, they must be replaced. It is permissible for
individual strands of the cables to be worn up to 25 %.

These are not the only gliders or manufacturer to have prescribed inspections for rudder cables beyond the Annual.
A cool thing about the way Schempp and others hook up the two sets of rudder pedals is that if a cable breaks at an S-Tube, the other seat has rudder authority albeit with a return spring to overcome on one side.

Inspect and you'll be comfortable.
Don't scrape the belly pulling it out of the trailer.
And watch Dave Nadler's video on Arcus assembly.
Jim
Old August 8th 18, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, August 5, 2018 at 2:19:24 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I have stalled the fin several times on a Nimbus-3. To make the beast turn, it took full aileron and rudder and if the ailerons didn't react fast enough, the full rudder could stall the fin. If it did, the dirty air cast from the stalled fin, would suck the rudder full over with a thud as the rudder hit its stop! At the same time the other rudder pedal would snap back smartly. It took all the force I could muster to force the rudder back to neutral!
Just saying,
JJ

Hi JJ,
I read your interesting comments on the Nimbus 3 and I would love to hear about your experience on that glider , I have a 1985 Nimbus3t (SL) please feel free to contact me at .
Thank you,
Christian