Dumb Reg question

Old April 30th 05, 03:18 AM
John Gaquin

"RST Engineering" wrote in message .

Jim.....
You were mighty quick to jump onto BT's answer, and here you are also
picking at Slick's post. Just for the sake of accuracy, could you clarify a
couple of points for me?

1. You officiously quibbled over Slick's use of the term "stick time" - a
common item of aviation slang - but then you refer to some aircraft called
a "traumahawk". I've not heard of this model, and I knw you're not the kind
of guy to use slng terms - could you expand, please?

2. Could you please explain when the FAA started issuing "private ratings"?
I've not heard of any term like this in my near forty years in aviation -
except from some few folk who bandy terms about without really knowing
whereof they speak. But you seem such a knowledgable fellow, I don't think
you'd be in that sub-group, do you? Please clarify.

Old April 30th 05, 05:08 PM
Slick

Default Dumb Reg question

I've only ever flown Cessna products and I've come across an area I'm not
sure about. I have my private and I have flow 150/2 and 172's since I
starting my training. Now I might partner up with a guy in a Tomahawk next
weekend for a tour across the state. I don't have any formal training in any
Piper products, will I be allowed to log any stick time? I don't recall
exactly how the regs layout type certification. Do I have to be signed off
and have logged instruction to be PIC in the Tomahawk? Also if I only had
time in a 150, would I have to have instruction in a 152 before I could log
PIC?

One last question, If I fly simulated instrument with a safety pilot, does
the safety pilot have to sign my logbook? Thanks to everyone for your help
and response.

Old April 30th 05, 05:09 PM
BTIZ

No Dumb Questions.. just hard to interpret Regs..

You are qualified for Airplane Single Engine Land... a Tomahawk is an
Airplane Single Engine Land..
any time you have hands on stick.. that is PIC.. as far as the FAA is
concerned.. you don't need a specific sign off..

the insurance companies or rental FBO may have other ideas... specific make
and model sign offs are insurance company requirements..

If you are under the hood and have a rated pilot acting as a safety pilot,
then all you need is his name..
any time you are flying with hands on stick, with or without the hood, you
are PIC, any time you are under the hood, he may log PIC (acting pic) even
though he may never touch the stick.

BT

"Slick" wrote in message ...
[...]

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old April 30th 05, 06:10 PM
RST Engineering

"Slick" wrote in message ...

I've only ever flown Cessna products and I've come across an area I'm not
sure about. I have my private and I have flow 150/2 and 172's since I
starting my training. Now I might partner up with a guy in a Tomahawk next
weekend for a tour across the state. I don't have any formal training in
any
Piper products, will I be allowed to log any stick time?

1. There is no definition of "stick time". I'm presuming you mean "can I
log any Pilot In Command Time".

2. Your private rating is undoubtably "airplane single engine land (ASEL)",
which means that you can fly ANY airplane (not glider or helicopter or...)
with a single engine (no twins or Ford trimotors) that was intended to fly
from a solid earth surface (no seaplanes) with no further instruction or
formal endorsement necessary...with a few exceptions:

a. Aircraft weighing 12,500 pounds or over at maximum gross
certificated takeoff weight or aircraft powered by a turbojet engine require
a type rating in addition to the ASEL certificate.

b. Aircraft classified as "complex" (retractable gear, flaps, and
variable pitch prop) need an additional endorsement.

c. Aircraft classified as "high performance" (engines greater than 200
horsepower) need an ....

d. Aircraft classified as "high altitude" (service ceiling above
25,000' MSL) need an .....

e. Aircraft with a "type certificate required" on the manufacturer's
type certificate (extremely rare) need an ....

f. Aircraft with tailwheel style landing gear need an ....

(Look in your book of regulations, read section 61.31 carefully and you
will find all these requirements and the exact legalese of what they say.)

Examining the Traumahawk, you will find that sections a through f of this
reply do not apply, so no further legal requirements are required for you to
hop into the airplane and blast off into the wild blue.

HAVING SAID THIS, you will note that I said "legal" requirements. Hopping
into a totally unfamiliar aircraft with no introductory training is (a) not
clever and (b) will void most insurance policies. Whoever owns the aircraft
(either your friend or the FBO that is renting the aircraft) will have
something to say about who flies it and how much training is required.

Jim

Old April 30th 05, 06:46 PM
Peter Duniho

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
I count six errors in this answer. Can anybody count more?

What? Too chicken to actually post what you think are the errors, in fear
someone might reply to your post, writing "I count seven errors in this
answer. Can anybody count more?"

Chicken. If you think he got something wrong, say what you think it is.
You're acting like a politician already.

Old April 30th 05, 07:32 PM
Jose

any time you are flying with hands on stick, with or without the hood, you
are PIC, any time you are under the hood, he may log PIC (acting pic) even
though he may never touch the stick.

Not quite.

You -are- PIC when you are the final authority on the conduct of the
flight (and are so qualified). You -may- -log- PIC if you are
appropriately rated and are sole manipulator (your hands unaided on the
stick).

Yes, two people can -log- PIC, but only one can -be- PIC.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old April 30th 05, 07:34 PM
Jose

d. Aircraft classified as "high altitude" (service ceiling above
25,000' MSL) need an .....

New one on me. If the airplane is capable of high altitude, you need an
endorsement even if you only ground-hop it? Got a reg # I could look up?

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old April 30th 05, 08:28 PM
Jose

d. Aircraft classified as "high altitude" (service ceiling above 25,000' MSL) need an .....

New one on me. If the airplane is capable of high altitude, you need an endorsement even if you only ground-hop it? Got a reg # I could look up?

Never mind, I found it. "pressurized".

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.