What constitutes a POH? New owner needs advice. (long)

Old July 16th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BTIZ

Default What constitutes a POH? New owner needs advice. (long)

"RH" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone!

1) I have the original Aircraft Flight Manual. Is this the POH? It
has the aircraft serial number on it. It is only three pages long. Is
that all there is to it???

Yes,

2) I have all the W&B data going back to day one. Do I have to keep
all of that in the plane, or just the most recent W&B?

Just the most current

3) STC's - it has a 3 blade Hartzell, Cleveland Brakes, D'Shannon
windshield - - do I need to keep these in the plane?

No, keep in the maint logs

4) 337's - It has had damage history when it ran off a runway in 1980,
and a fuel truck backed into it in 1998. Do I have to keep the 337's
in the plane?

No, keep in maint logs

Thanks for any input you may have.

Richard

Have fun and fly safe
BT

Old July 16th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

2) I have all the W&B data going back to day one. Do I have to keep
all of that in the plane, or just the most recent W&B?

Just the most current

Not true. Please stop spreading OWT for the truth.

Jim

Old July 16th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
David Lesher

"RH" writes:

In the meantime, and this brings me back to the original subject of
this post, I have gathered up all of the aircraft logs and records and
have them spread out on the kitchen table.

"And then I copied every piece and filed the copies in 2 places..."

Or scanned & burned onto CD's, I guess....

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old July 16th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Welcome to Bonanza ownership, I have the same model. You won't really
appreciate how well they are built since you didn't own a Cessna or
Piper first. The Bo makes my 67 182 look like it was made out of beer
cans. These things are really put together. You pay for that in empty
weight. My 64 S35 weighs 1980 pounds with just the front two seats in,
a standard configuration for me for airplane camping. Your Bonanza
doesn't have a POH, they weren't invented yet. You have an owners
manual, mine is a couple hundred pages long and has all the standard
stuff. If you only have a few pages then you don't have your owners
manual. You only need a current W+B in the plane. No other 337 or STC
paperwork needs to be carried in the plane. Let me know if you have
other questions, we can take it off list.

RH wrote:
Hi everyone!

L O N G time lurker, infrequent poster here. I have a question about
what must legally be carried in the airplane for the pilot operating
handbook.

But first, let me share with you a little bit of my experience buying
an airplane...You may remember a few months ago I was looking at a
Beech Sierra or Piper Comanche. I did find a nice Beech Sierra, and
made an offer contingent on a pre-buy, but I never heard back from the
owner, other than "I'm going on vacation and will call you in two
weeks". Subsequent phone calls & emails from me went unanswered. In
the meantime, I found a nice Comanche 180, but the seller, an elderly
gentleman, had a really high asking price that he was absolutely firm
on. I felt like I could not risk overpaying that much, especially in
this market. So I ended up finding another sweet Comanche 180, owned
by a fellow in his 70's. I made an offer that was within 95% of his
asking price, but he seemed so offended that we could not agree on
anything from that point forward. After all the research, analysis,
worry and angst that goes into deciding on a particlar make & model, I
had no idea that actually *buying* the plane would be this difficult!
I was beginning to wonder if it was me!

So then I find myself at the AOPA fly in. My wife & I are pushing our
son around in the stroller, when she spots a real sweet looking Bonanza
for sale. I'm thinking , yeah - dream on, who wouldnt want a Bonanza?
The purchase price might be manageable, but everyone knows how
expensive those things are to maintain. Right? And what about that
W&B issue? And the V tail? But we look a little closer. It's a '65 S
model, and the cabin seems positively huge compared to the Comanche's
we had been considering. It actually has six seats too. And there is
something "substantial" looking about the Bonanza, they way it sits up
on its tall gear.

So we join the ABS. Get out the actual W&B data and start running some
real word scenarios, calculating various take off and landing CG's.
It's something to be mindful of, but not that big of a deal, really.
We were always able to come up with loading arrangements that kept the
CG within limits.

The information from ABS satisfied many concerns. The issues with the
V tail seem to have been resolved with the various AD's. The issue of
high parts prices is valid, but the reality is you rarely need to buy
airframe parts, you are more liklely in need of engine & accessory type
parts (mags, vacuum pumps, plugs, etc), and those are all the same
price whether you fly a Beech or a Piper.

To make a long story short, after a very detailed prebuy and some
negotiation, we are now the proud owners of N5848K!!! Our first plane.
The discrepancies noted on the prebuy have now been fixed, and I'm
scheduled to do my checkout tomorrow with a high time Bonanza
instructor. I cant wait!!

In the meantime, and this brings me back to the original subject of
this post, I have gathered up all of the aircraft logs and records and
have them spread out on the kitchen table. The logs are complete but
they are not in any real order whatsoever. They were just kept in a
large duffel bag. I told my wife this scattered mess of paper probably
represents 10-15% of the value of the plane, so we'll need to get them
organized and archived for safekeeping. But for now, I want to make
sure the documentation in the aircraft is correct. Here are my
questions:

Old July 16th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BTIZ

"RST Engineering" wrote in message

2) I have all the W&B data going back to day one. Do I have to keep
all of that in the plane, or just the most recent W&B?

Just the most current

Not true. Please stop spreading OWT for the truth.

Jim

Thanx Jim, I'll go do some more research. But I remember (not stated for
fact) that information must be available to the pilot to determine CG before
a flight. Unless that information is readily placarded how is he to do it
when away from home station. Granted, this is for a 1965 Vintage aircraft
and the rules in 1965 as amended should apply.
BT

Old July 16th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

Newps wrote:
Welcome to Bonanza ownership, I have the same model. You won't really
appreciate how well they are built since you didn't own a Cessna or
Piper first. The Bo makes my 67 182 look like it was made out of beer
cans.

And a banana looks like tinfoil compared to a Navion. I've got a
few more pounds on your empty weight.
Old July 17th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack[_1_]

wrote)
...as cheap insurance against getting into a ****ing contest with some
anal retentive bureaucrate.

Montblack
"Go to the head of the class."
Old July 17th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Montblack wrote:
wrote)
...as cheap insurance against getting into a ****ing contest with some
anal retentive bureaucrate.

The term mixed metaphor does not do this phrase justice! :-)

Sorry, when I wrote that, it was a dark and stormy night...

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old July 17th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
cjcampbell

RH wrote:

1) I have the original Aircraft Flight Manual. Is this the POH? It
has the aircraft serial number on it. It is only three pages long. Is
that all there is to it???

Yes. Many older aircraft do not even have that. They were certified
before a POH was required.

2) I have all the W&B data going back to day one. Do I have to keep
all of that in the plane, or just the most recent W&B?

You do not have to keep superceded material in the plane and you
probably shouldn't. Others will argue all day long about whether you
need to keep the most recent W&B in the plane. Obviously, any FAA
inspector is likely to have his own opinion on it. I would keep it in
the plane.

3) STC's - it has a 3 blade Hartzell, Cleveland Brakes, D'Shannon
windshield - - do I need to keep these in the plane?

STCs are part of the airplane's type certificate. You have to keep them
in the plane, along with any manuals pertaining to the new equipment --
those become part of the operating handbook.

4) 337's - It has had damage history when it ran off a runway in 1980,
and a fuel truck backed into it in 1998. Do I have to keep the 337's
in the plane?

No. They are part of the maintenance records and should be kept with
those.

Old July 17th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

First thing is to get an account with Rapid. Sign up as an individual.
Here is the website, call them in the morning and sign up and then
ask for a price for the manual you are looking for.

https://parts.raytheonaircraft.com/

RH wrote:
Hey thanks for all the comments and advice!

I think I have all the " FAA required" documentation although I'm
definitely missing the 200page owners manual. I've a got a huge
maintenance manual instead. Flipping through that is interesting -
apparently at one time you could get an emergency flare dispenser as an
option. It would release three 1.5 minute flares for nighttime
emergency landings. Also, I dont have a "wing leveler" I have a
"Stability Augmentation System". Anyways, first thing on the agenda
tomorrow is to hunt down a copy of the owners manual.

I suppose Essco or the ABS would be the first place to check?

I completed my checkout in the plane today, and combined it with an
instrument proficiency check and BFR, 5.1 hours in total. It was H O T
out there today, and the plane ran great. That Continental six is the
smoothest aircraft engine I have ever operated.

Rich