Region 8 Contest

Old July 8th 04, 07:45 PM
Wayne Paul

Default Region 8 Contest

Anyone know what is going on at Ephrata? Day one is the only day posted on
the SSA site.

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old July 9th 04, 09:14 PM
John Gilbert

FYI, from the SSA website:
Region 8

Day 2, July 8 - Contest Report

The Region 8 contest got off to a pretty good start with booming
weather. The previous 2 weeks the local clubs had held cross country
encampments and had reported excellent conditions with bases at times
exceeding 10000 AGL. For the contest, we have 17 contestants in Sports
Class and 8 in 15 Meter, 9 if you count the "guest" flying his Nimbus
4M (the Open Class was canceled when a couple pilots dropped out
late).

The practice day was strong, with 10 knot lift, bases at 8000+ AGL and
cloudstreets in all directions. In 15 Meter, 3 pilots turned in speeds
in excess of 80 mph with Mike Newgard winning at 83 mph. In Sports,
Tom Udd won the day in his Russia.

On the first contest day, the call in 15 Meter was a TAT with turns at
Kramer Ranch, Mansfield and Creston, with 10 miles circles on all 3
turns. The conditions were predicted to be similar to the practice
day, with cumulus to 8000 AGL and 6+ knot lift. The early starters did
better as unexpected cirrus weakened the third leg considerably, but
Mike Thompson again won the day at 72.3 mph. In the Sports Class, Dick
VanGrunsven won the 3 hr MAT (first turn Mansfield) with a raw speed
of 73.9 mph and a handicapped speed of 64.2 mph. Gary Kemp in his
Nimbus 3 decided to not compete as a "guest" in 15 Meter, but he did
report having a great flight, including flying up to Glacier Peak.

The weather took an unseasonable turn on the second day and the third,
with a cold front moving across the state. In its wake, we had low
clouds and no lift the first day as the front moved through. It was
interesting to watch the high lenticular cloud formations and the
rotor clouds spinning and changing as the front took all day to move
through. The next day, the wind was a primary factor as the wind was
measured at 36 mph gusting 44 in the morning and was a direct
crosswind for takeoffs. With predictions for the wind to continue
unabated until late into the evening, we canceled the day at noon. So
of course, the wind promptly quit for 45 minutes and several pilots
elected to try the dicey conditions anyway, with one landing out. By
late afternoon, the wind was back in full gale.

On day 4, the second contest day, the prediction was for calm winds,
and blue skies with 4-6 knot lift to 6000+ ft tops and occasionally
cumulus. The weather was true to form with only very scattered
cumulus, but the blue conditions were good enough to get in a 3 hour
MAT in both classes with called turns to Cannuial Creek and Beezly
Hills. In Sports Dick VanGrunsven won the day again with a raw speed
of 67.1 mph, 56.8 handicapped. In 15 Meter, Greg Mecklenburg won the
day at 67.4 mph, although "guest" Nelson Funston did make 68.1 mph for
1010 points. Tonight we have a BBQ on the clubhouse deck, where we are
admiring the new paint job (several cans of day glo plus miscellaneous
glued on plastic accoutrements) on one of the local Canadian's vintage
crew car.

Old July 13th 04, 07:36 PM
Wayne Paul

The final results of the Region 8 contest have not been posted. Did they
fly a day 4 on July 10?

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

om...

Old July 14th 04, 12:51 AM
Rudy Allemann

Yes Wayne, we did fly a forth day, but the write up postings have been slow.
Mike Newgard won in 15 M and Dick Van Grundsven won in Sport Class. Rudy Allemann