ADIZ pilot's ticket revoked

Old May 23rd 05, 10:58 PM
Grumman-581

"John T" wrote in message
The Citation was involved in the intercept although the Blackhawk was the
one flying formation - at least until the F-16s showed up. That was
reported from the beginning.

Saying that the F16s were "flying formation" with the C150 is a bit of a
stretch of the term... You might as well say that buzzards circling overhead
as you're dying in the desert are "flying formation" with ya'...

Old May 23rd 05, 11:40 PM
Dean Wilkinson

"gatt" wrote in message

so what do you guys think of it?

Sounds like, all the hysteria and other issues aside, the pilot really
screwed the pooch on many basic levels.

-c
HOW do you as a safe, qualified pilot fly over Washington DC and not know
it's Washington DC? Are there any pilots in these forums that DON'T know
it's restricted airspace?

I think it was warranted. If an instructor shows such poor judgement as to
violate a highly publicised ADIZ through lack of adequate flight planning
and usage of advanced navigation equipment (hell, even VOR would do the
trick), he needs to be given remedial instruction. A year off to think
about it sounds fair and proper.

Old May 23rd 05, 11:41 PM
Denny

Interested folks need to read Mr. Sheaffer's issued statement, reported
on AVWEB and AOPA....

denny

Old May 23rd 05, 11:53 PM
Just go look it up!

On Mon, 23 May 2005 14:54:34 -0700, "gatt"
wrote:

so what do you guys think of it?

Sounds like, all the hysteria and other issues aside, the pilot really
screwed the pooch on many basic levels.

Their side of the story is at
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050520/205544.html?.v=1

The FAA says "Sheaffer didn't take the most basic steps required of
pilots before operating an aircraft, the FAA said.

He failed to check the weather report before leaving Smoketown,
Pennsylvania, and he didn't check the FAA's "Notices to Airmen," which
informs pilots of airspace restrictions."

They say they "checked various weather websites on his home computer
for the flight area and consulted the Aircraft Owners and Pilots
Association (AOPA) website, looking for Temporary Flight Restrictions
(TFR). "

Course, none of it's recorded since they didn't use DUAT(S) so...

Old May 24th 05, 12:01 AM
John Galban

Grumman-581 wrote:
"John T" wrote in message
The Citation was involved in the intercept although the Blackhawk

was the
one flying formation - at least until the F-16s showed up. That

was
reported from the beginning.

Saying that the F16s were "flying formation" with the C150 is a bit

of a
stretch of the term... You might as well say that buzzards circling

overhead
as you're dying in the desert are "flying formation" with ya'...

He didn't say that. He said that the Blackhawk was flying formation
unil the F-16s got there. According to various reports, that's when
the Blackhawk broke off.

While working in a restricted area on a missile range in the 80s, I
once requested that some F-15s to intercept a hot air balloon that had
strayed over a hot range. Now that was a funny intercept!

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old May 24th 05, 12:05 AM
Dave S

Customs has been doing aerial intercept of aircraft for years, primarily
from an anti-drug standpoint. There are two based here in suburban
Houston, and we have had them as a speaker before (pre-9/11) regarding
their ops (safety meeting/PR material)

What were they doing? They were tracking the target. Just like they
always do.

Dave

Peter R. wrote:

John T wrote:

The Citation was involved in the intercept although the Blackhawk was

the

one flying formation - at least until the F-16s showed up. That was
reported from the beginning.

Thanks. I guess I missed that. These newsgroups should be required
reading for every pilot. :-)

Old May 24th 05, 12:08 AM
Dave S

keep in mind this is an "Emergency Revocation".

The pilot involved still is entitled to his due process, and the action
MAY (we are talking hypothetically, here) be overturned at the
completion of that due process.

He has yet to actually have his formal meeting, etc..

Dave

A.Coleman wrote:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...&sn=018&sc=478

AA Revokes License of D.C. 'Alert' Pilot
-
Monday, May 23, 2005

(05-23) 12:15 PDT WASHINGTON (AP) --

The government has revoked the license of the pilot in charge of the small
plane that strayed to within three miles of the White House on May 11,
forcing the panicked evacuation of thousands of people from the executive
mansion, Capitol and Supreme Court.

Though hundreds of people have mistakenly flown into Washington's restricted
airspace, this was believed to be the first such revocation.

The Federal Aviation Administration said Monday that it had issued an
emergency revocation of Hayden L. Sheaffer's pilot's license because he
"constitutes an unacceptable risk to safety in air commerce."

The agency said no action would be taken against Sheaffer's student, who was
also in the plane.

"This action reflects the seriousness in which we view all restricted
airspace violations and, in this case, the level of incursion into
restricted airspace," said FAA spokesman Greg Martin.

The plane entered restricted airspace and then continued flying toward
highly sensitive areas, prompting evacuations of tens of thousands of people
as military aircraft scrambled to intercept it.

The student, 36-year-old Troy Martin, who had logged only 30 hours of flight
time, had control of the small Cessna single engine plane when a U.S.
Customs Service Black Hawk helicopter and a Citation jet intercepted it.

Sheaffer didn't take the most basic steps required of pilots before
operating an aircraft, the FAA said. He failed to check the weather report
before leaving Smoketown, Pa., and he didn't check the FAA's "Notices to
Airmen," which informs pilots of airspace restrictions.

___

On the Net:

Federal Aviation Administration:

www.faa.gov
©2005 Associated Press

Old May 24th 05, 12:14 AM

In rec.aviation.owning Dave S wrote:
keep in mind this is an "Emergency Revocation".

The pilot involved still is entitled to his due process, and the action
MAY (we are talking hypothetically, here) be overturned at the
completion of that due process.

He has yet to actually have his formal meeting, etc..

Dave

snip

The odds of the NTSB overturning this are somewhere between zero and
not a chance in hell.

For more and the specific regulations (8) violated:

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...050523faa.html

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old May 24th 05, 12:16 AM
Dave S

I agree that this guy's ticket is gone gone gone... but my point is...
before we lynch the fella, we are going to ensure he has a fair trial.
He has not had that yet.

Dave

Old May 24th 05, 12:31 AM
Montblack

("gatt" wrote)
What in the #(*$%& is a customs jet going to do to protect our national
government against a C150?

Fly into it.

*shrug*

History Channel - May 15th
(Don't know when it's on again)

"The Hurricane That Saved London"

(From the show page)
Only one fighter plane ever crashed in the streets of London during WWII,
and the story of the crash is the stuff of novels. We join a team of
excavators, at a busy intersection just blocks from Buckingham Palace, that
is about to uncover what remains of it. We also get the firsthand account of
the crash from the doomed plane's pilot Ray Holmes, who is still alive to
tell his story. While defending London from Nazi attacks, Holmes rammed his
fighter plane into a German bomber in a desperate attempt to deflect the
bomber from its target--Buckingham Palace. It worked, but not before Holmes
lost control of his own plane and was forced to eject.

http://www.historychannel.com/global/listings/listings_weekly.jsp?fromYear=2005&fromMonth=4&from Date=15&NetwCode=THC&timezone=2&View=Weekly&&fromT ime=18

http://makeashorterlink.com/?F53F2402B
(Same History Channel link as above)

Montblack