PDA: Which one and what software?

Old May 21st 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default PDA: Which one and what software?

Hello, I am a private pilot aspiring to move up the rating and get my
CFI.

I am in the market for a PDA to help organize my life, dates, phone
numbers, addresses, emails, and also double as a electronic flight
computer and sort of a electronic flight bag type of thing.

My laptop is a Powerbook Mac and my desktop is a PC.

Should I go with a Palm pPilot (OS) or a Pocket PC? And which have
better software for aviation?

Sorry for the basic questions, but I am a total newbie when it comes to
PDA's.

Old May 21st 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Please excuse the bad grammar, I couldn't find the edit button and
didn't proof read.

Old May 21st 06, 09:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Sorry for the basic questions, but I am a total newbie when it comes to
PDA's.

Actually, there's not that much choice in nav software for the Palm. Much
more is available for the PocketPC, which, OTOH, doesn't work well with
your Mac. Personally, I'd go for display size, so you'd want a 480 by 640
resolution. Have a look at Anywhere Map by Controlvision, the "Mercedes"
of PDA nav software. If you want low cost, look at www.pocketfms.com.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 21st 06, 09:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Thomas Borchert"

Sorry for the basic questions, but I am a total newbie when it comes to
PDA's.

Actually, there's not that much choice in nav software for the Palm. Much
more is available for the PocketPC, which, OTOH, doesn't work well with
your Mac. Personally, I'd go for display size, so you'd want a 480 by 640
resolution. Have a look at Anywhere Map by Controlvision, the "Mercedes"
of PDA nav software. If you want low cost, look at www.pocketfms.com.

--

Also, check out the Niborex Copilot software.
Basically, and electronic checklist capable of holding whatever graphic and

I just started using it, so far anly on 4 flights, but it seams mighty
powerful!

It has flight timer, manages your fuel tanks, holds all your performance
data etc.

When I bought it, they had a bundle deal with their E6B software.
Also a good product it seams.

PocketFMS is great! Great community, frequent updates, and world wide
coverage.

I would go with that instead of the costly ones with costly NAV update
subscriptions.

Youre requeired to fly with paper charts on board anyway, so why chuck the
money out.

I also have Jeppesen Flightstar, and it's a bit easier to make routes on,
but it isn't a PDA programme, and costs an arm and a leg to keep current....

:-)

Frode

Old May 21st 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Frode,

PocketFMS is great! Great community, frequent updates, and world wide
coverage.

Problem is, the future of PocketFMS is somewhat uncertain when the free
DAFIF data goes away in the fall.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 21st 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:
Hello, I am a private pilot aspiring to move up the rating and get my
CFI.

I am in the market for a PDA to help organize my life, dates, phone
numbers, addresses, emails, and also double as a electronic flight
computer and sort of a electronic flight bag type of thing.

My laptop is a Powerbook Mac and my desktop is a PC.

Should I go with a Palm pPilot (OS) or a Pocket PC? And which have
better software for aviation?

Sorry for the basic questions, but I am a total newbie when it comes to
PDA's.

First let me state that with what you will spend on the PDA and stuff
for flying you'd be better off getting a Garmin 295. You can get them
for $500 pretty much every day. But if you just got to get the PDA:
You want one with bluetooth. Then get a bluetooth GPS. I've got the
Altina GBT708. Got it off ebay for about $75. For flying purposes
spending more on a GPS really gets you nothing more in usefulness or
accuracy. I have a Dell Axim X51v, I've also used the X50v and the
X50 mid, they all work great, no difference between them. For software
I've tried most of them. Anywheremap is OK but breaks my basic rule
with any PDA software, never buy something you don't get a free trial
on. My favorite is NavGPS Pro. They all work, the difference is what
the interface looks like. To me NavGPS is far better than all of them.
For flight planning you can't beat WingX from Hilton software.
The main problems you have with a PDA is the screen can get washed
out in bright sun and you really gotta have it plugged in to the lighter
otherwise the battery gets sucked down too fast. My Dell also has
wireless so the WingX program will go online and get the weather as well
as the usual email and surfing. Another weather program I like for the
Dell is called Radar Watch 2. It's the best radar display I've found
for the PDA. Loads fast and loops radar.
Old May 21st 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

A good resource for evaluating handheld aviation software, both for
Palm and various PocketPCs, is www.palmflying.com.

I have used the excellent shareware CoPilot, and there is now a moving
map that works with it and is pretty inexpensive, which I believe is
called FlightMaster. You can check them out on the site above.

Cheers,
Wiz

Old May 21st 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thanks for all the replys.

At the present time I am only looking for a PDA. I have a GPS, it is
the Garmin 195 and while outdated by todays standards, works great for
my needs.

I was looking on Sportys and they have the Dell Axim X51 bundled with
the WingX Pro for 359.00.

I think while I have a Mac as a laptop, it looks like there are more
options for software with a PC based PDA, and my desktop is a PC.

Old May 21st 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Also, being the newbie I am, if I am reading the posts right the PDA
can also be used as a GPS, and radar scope (with the proper software)?

How does that work, how are they able to read the satelites for GPS and
echos for weather? And are those things a subscription based thing?

Old May 21st 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Hi!

Does Radar Watch include Europe radar, or is it US only?

Frode

"Newps" skrev i melding
. ..