More 3's?

Old January 18th 18, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default More 3's?

On Thursday, 18 January 2018 18:55:02 UTC+2, wrote:
Hi Krasw,

apologies for my ignorance in this case, but could you briefly guide me to a link to that Kawa interview/comment?

Thanks and best
Marc

http://www.sebastiankawa.pl/12132/po...zydel-oby-nie/

Old January 18th 18, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dziękuję

Old January 18th 18, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 1:13:46 PM UTC-8, wrote:
With tried and true Ventus 3 and JS3, wonder how long before the ASG-33?

Since Michael Greiner left Schleicher a few years ago it wouldn't be an "ASG". I have not seen anything that would make me want to make a decision between a Ventus 3; JS-3 or ASG-29, other than the 29 is an older design. The ventus cannot get to as high a wing loading of the of the 29 nor the Js-3.. While the JS-3 can get to the highest wing loading, it is light on established norms of wing area and apparently one needs to thermal it at higher speeds than the JS-1C. Remember the issues with both the LS-7 nd ASW-24? I am sure they are all great gliders, 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Could be one glider might me better for strong conditions (Js-3) and another better in lighter conditions (V3) and one might be the perfect balance between the two (ASG-29) or might not. However, if I was in a position to purchase I would want to wait at least until after this race season to see how the gliders compare. Now if S-H came out with a Qunitus 2!
Old January 18th 18, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 12:25:50 AM UTC-8, krasw wrote:

Sebastian Kawa commented that V3 was much better in final glide, and it was quite obvious just by watcing races. No doubt engineers at Schleicher are at drawing board as we speak. Currently only interesting thing is how V3 and JS3 compares, JS1 and '29 belong to previous generation.

With all due respect, the SGP racers are limited to same wing loading not the design limit of the 18 meter. So gliders with a bit more wing area are loaded heavier. One final glide I watched, the winning glider was 60 kg heavier than 2nd place, or so said the 2nd place pilot. I would want to see a final glide at all up weight before deciding which is better in glide.

Old January 18th 18, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 12:11:46 PM UTC-6, krasw wrote:
On Thursday, 18 January 2018 18:55:02 UTC+2, wrote:
Hi Krasw,

apologies for my ignorance in this case, but could you briefly guide me to a link to that Kawa interview/comment?

Thanks and best
Marc

http://www.sebastiankawa.pl/12132/po...zydel-oby-nie/

I believe this passage is meant (Sebastian's comment on the second race):

"Odskoczyłem do przodu i wyrównały się wysokosci, ale to niestety nie wystarczyło. 15 lat rozwoju profili aerodynamicznych okazało się zbyt dużym skokiem, by równać się z Ventusami 3.Do tego te fatalne deformacje skrzydła które szlifowałem tyle dni, ale całkowicie zlkwidować się ich nie dało. Obaj mnie przegonili."

which in free translaton means:

I sprang forward, and the altitudes were now equal, but unfortunately that was not sufficient. The 15 years of the development of the aerodynamic profiles proved to be too big a leap in order to compare with the Venti3s. Additionally, those fatal deformations in the wing which I tried to polish out over so many days, but could not be removed completely. They both outran me.."
Old January 19th 18, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 6:32:39 PM UTC-5, Tom BravoMike wrote:
[...]

Today however we saw that this was not true.
Old January 19th 18, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

If you watch some of the earlier video's of this race you will hear the commentators' talk about how rough Kawa"s JS-1C is and how much work he did not it prior to the race. Might be a factor.

On Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 12:25:50 AM UTC-8, krasw wrote:
torstai 18. tammikuuta 2018 5.14.33 UTC+2 kirjoitti:
You will need an ASG-33 not to outfly a V3 - but the JS-3. The V3 and JS-1c (18m) match each other with the same wingloading as seen in Chile yesterday - and the JS-3 is a decade newer than the JS-1.....

Maybe I am just biased being a South African - but I am thinking the Germans have some catching up to do in the next few years. The JS-3 is going to be unbeatable in 15m and 18m Classes - and the JS-1c will still be very competitive in the Open Class in any competition. This advantage will be even greater where wingloading is a factor (strong days) and especially where it's weight that's limited, and not wingloading (like the Sailplane GrandPrix).

Old January 19th 18, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

a factor in what? how he was able to reel in V3's on the last two racing days? how he is leading overall with 2 days to go?
Old January 19th 18, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Would you rather have the best glider in the world or be the best pilot in the world? It’s obvious who that is.