Mode S transponder display to ATC?

Old September 6th 08, 09:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Thomas Borchert

Default Mode S transponder display to ATC?

Peter,

which display aircraft
registrations do it by containing software and database to decode the
24-bit code.

Why wouldn't they simply use the flight ID data field?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 6th 08, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike[_22_]

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Peter,

which display aircraft
registrations do it by containing software and database to decode the
24-bit code.

Why wouldn't they simply use the flight ID data field?

For one, not all ModeS transponders have that capability as it's implemented
as a level 2 function. I know that many, if not all, areas of western
Europe require a ModeS transponder, but I'm not sure if they require a level
2 ModeS transponder.

Old September 6th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Michael Huber[_2_]

Peter wrote:

You would however get into trouble if you recorded ATC and then openly
published the recording, e.g. on a website. I don't know why there is
this sensitivity because UK ATC are generally highly professional;

Maybe a parallel to Germany might help. In Germany, tapping into any
communication not intended by the sender to be heard/read/whatever by
oneself is illegal (regardless of whether there are measures taken to
prevent this) under privacy laws. There are some exceptions, but that's the
general rule. ATC communication is only intended for a limited circle of
recipients. Plane spotters are not the intended recipients, thus, they may
not listen.

It has nothing to do with perceived professionality of the ATC people, and
everything with protecting the privacy of ATC and pilots.
Old September 6th 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Michael Huber writes:

Maybe a parallel to Germany might help. In Germany, tapping into any
communication not intended by the sender to be heard/read/whatever by
oneself is illegal (regardless of whether there are measures taken to
prevent this) under privacy laws. There are some exceptions, but that's the
general rule. ATC communication is only intended for a limited circle of
recipients. Plane spotters are not the intended recipients, thus, they may
not listen.

If you take that to its logical conclusion, it should be illegal for pilots to
listen to any ATC transmission that isn't specifically addressed to them.

It has nothing to do with perceived professionality of the ATC people, and
everything with protecting the privacy of ATC and pilots.

I'm certain that it has nothing to do with protecting privacy, and everything
to do with protecting incompetence.
Old September 6th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Viperdoc[_5_]

Anthony Atkielski said:
I'm certain that it has nothing to do with protecting privacy, and
everything
to do with protecting incompetence.

Finally, Anthony has found something where he has some expertise and
experience- congratulations!

Old September 6th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Michael Huber[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:

If you take that to its logical conclusion, it should be illegal for
pilots to listen to any ATC transmission that isn't specifically addressed
to them.

*sigh* I'm going to violate my rule against replying to MXS and reply to
this, since I think it's an easy mistake to make. It isn't, as the ATC (and
any transmitting pilots) are fully aware that all pilots are listening in.
Thus, it is not an invasion of their privacy, since the transmitting party
is aware of these listeners. Further, it is actually beneficial and
intended for all pilots to listen, since listening to all transmissions can
enhance the pilots' situational awareness - they know what the other guy is
doing. So, the argument is that while only one plane is specifically
adressed, the intended recipients are really planes on the frequency.
Old September 7th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Michael Huber writes:

I'm going to violate my rule against replying to MXS and reply to
this, since I think it's an easy mistake to make. It isn't, as the ATC (and
any transmitting pilots) are fully aware that all pilots are listening in.
Thus, it is not an invasion of their privacy, since the transmitting party
is aware of these listeners.

In that case, since pilots and ATC are also generally aware that people on the
ground are listening in, spotters and others listening to the communications
aren't breaking the law, either.

Further, it is actually beneficial and
intended for all pilots to listen, since listening to all transmissions can
enhance the pilots' situational awareness - they know what the other guy is
doing.

It is beneficial for people on the ground to listen in as well, as it improves
their situational awareness of the state of flights in the air.

So, the argument is that while only one plane is specifically
adressed, the intended recipients are really planes on the frequency.

So is it legal for United to have a channel on the aircraft that allows
passengers to listen to ATC? Why, or why not?
Old September 7th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Viperdoc[_5_]

Anthony, don't worry, you don't have or need a mode S transponder, or for
that matter a transponder of any kind. These devices are used by people who
actually fly airplanes, and are used in actual airplanes. They are not a
factor for gamers, like yourself. So, don't worry.

If you need to hear any other voices in the dark, you can always communicate
with your imaginary controllers and fellow game players via the net.

Everything will be alright, don't worry. The demons will go away soon.

Old September 7th 08, 08:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Peter,

Doesn't the system process the flightid field?

Some do. In Europe, more and more do.

Or isn't that
transmitted?

It certainly is.

Not in the U.S.
Old September 7th 08, 09:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Thomas Borchert

Sam,

Not in the U.S.

Source? A source that shows a Garmin GTX330 does not transmit flight ID
data in the US would suffice.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)