simple IFR timers

Old May 31st 04, 09:59 PM
Matt Whiting

Default simple IFR timers

Anyone know of a source of a simple timer for approaches? I had one
years ago that was very simple. It was round with two buttons, one to
start and stop the timer and another to reset it. All I can find now
are the West Bend and others that have a lot more features than I need.
Unfortunately, the yoke timer in the airplane is toast so I'm looking
for something I can just velcro to the yoke or panel.

Matt

Old May 31st 04, 10:41 PM
Richard Kaplan

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Anyone know of a source of a simple timer for approaches? I had one

Radio Shack

--------------------
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old May 31st 04, 11:32 PM
Blanche

Visit your local kitchen store (some are small, some are the
"big box" type). The simple west bend timers are about $4-8.
Careful of the magnet on the back. I finally got it off after
lots of agony on one timer. On the second, popped off (almost
fell off!)

Old May 31st 04, 11:47 PM
Dan Truesdell

We have 2 Westbend timers (around $5-$8) velcroed to the panel. They
work great, and are much more visible than the standard 172 clock
(which, in it's current position, does not exactly fit in the scan).

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that you need to have an "official" clock
in the plane to fly actual. Doesn't mean that you have to use it, but I
believe it has to be there and has to be working. We are replacing ours
right now. (Seems like a silly reg.)

--
Remove "2PLANES" to reply.

Old May 31st 04, 11:54 PM
Andrew Sarangan

Matt Whiting wrote in
:

Anyone know of a source of a simple timer for approaches? I had one
years ago that was very simple. It was round with two buttons, one to
start and stop the timer and another to reset it. All I can find now
are the West Bend and others that have a lot more features than I need.
Unfortunately, the yoke timer in the airplane is toast so I'm looking
for something I can just velcro to the yoke or panel.

Matt

After an unsuccessful search for a simple compact timer, I bought a Casio
digital watch that met my needs. Unlike the conventional watches that
have buttons on their side, this one has buttons on its front face. Three
pushes of one button will take you into the timer mode. One button starts
and stops and the other resets. It also has an automatic light mode. If
the watch is tilted by a certain angle the back lighting comes on. I
can't remember how much I paid for it, but it was something like $20 at
Walmart.

Old June 1st 04, 12:07 AM
Judah

Dan Truesdell wrote in news:40BBB5F8.1090404
@ceaPLsofAtwNarEe.cSom:

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that you need to have an "official" clock
in the plane to fly actual. Doesn't mean that you have to use it, but I
believe it has to be there and has to be working. We are replacing ours
right now. (Seems like a silly reg.)

Why is that silly? Imagine... You're holding over your MAP point waiting
for your next opportunity to shoot. All of a sudden, the battery in your
watch decides to go out. What do you do then? Without the clock in the
plane, you'd probably have to inform ATC and become a real PITA...

Yeah, it might be a longshot, but Murphy's law dictates that if the battery
is going to die in flight, it's going to happen during a critical point...
Old June 1st 04, 12:19 AM
Richard Kaplan

"Judah" wrote in message

Why is that silly? Imagine... You're holding over your MAP point waiting
for your next opportunity to shoot. All of a sudden, the battery in your
watch decides to go out. What do you do then?

Ask the controller to fly 5-mile legs while holding and use my GPS to
determine distance.

Come to think of it, I would do that even if my clock/watch DOES work...
it's a lot easier and a lot more accurate for the controller.

--------------------
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old June 1st 04, 12:48 AM
Dan Truesdell

You are correct about my watch dying, but the clock in the plane can
(and did) die. When the panel clock is working, I'm flying with triple
redundancy. The problem is that the "official" clock (which I can
legally fly IFR using it as the only timer in the plane) is a poor
excuse for a timer. That what I find silly. As I stated in my earlier
post, we have 2 timers on the panel, and I always wear my watch, any of
which is much more usable than the Cessna clock on the panel. We are
replacing it with an L-2 digital. Doesn't solve the location problem,
but does provide us with a much more usable device. We'll still keep
the Westbends, but now we'll have a more useful backup.

Old June 1st 04, 01:24 AM
Gary Drescher

"Judah" wrote in message
Dan Truesdell wrote in news:40BBB5F8.1090404
@ceaPLsofAtwNarEe.cSom:

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that you need to have an "official" clock
in the plane to fly actual. Doesn't mean that you have to use it, but I
believe it has to be there and has to be working. We are replacing ours
right now. (Seems like a silly reg.)

Why is that silly? Imagine... You're holding over your MAP point waiting
for your next opportunity to shoot. All of a sudden, the battery in your
watch decides to go out. What do you do then?

When I fly IFR, I wear two cheap digital watches that have large,
easy-to-read digits. I set one to be a clock, the other a stopwatch. If
either fails, the other is its backup.

--Gary

Old June 1st 04, 01:26 AM
Matt Whiting

Richard Kaplan wrote:
"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Anyone know of a source of a simple timer for approaches? I had one

Radio Shack

I was just there today and found nothing. They had a regular sports
stopwatch, some hikers and bikers units that had compasses, altimeters,
thermometers, etc., but not simply timers. I haven't checked their web
site, but will do that next.

Matt