A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

New Oudie 2 Condor 2 cable connection

Old January 22nd 20, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nelson Howe
external usenet poster

Default New Oudie 2 Condor 2 cable connection

I Just bought an Oudie 2 with Goddard connection cable to allow communication with PC and use with Condor 2. After extensive attempts to update the drivers and install a different program to remove and then update the drivers, I have had no luck. Paul Remde has been very helpful trying to figure out the problem, and indicates he believes there is a hardware change in the connectors of the latest Oudie 2s. Naviter is unresponsive to requests for the specifics of the hardware change. Paul has been able to connect an older Oudie 2 with the cable, but has had no luck with the newest Oudie 2.

Would anyone have any other suggestions for a fix? Or perhaps be able to encourage Naviter to provide some customer support? So far, two emails have gone unanswered.

Thanks,

Nelson Howe
Old January 22nd 20, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 5:30:23 AM UTC-8, Nelson Howe wrote:
I Just bought an Oudie 2 with Goddard connection cable to allow communication with PC and use with Condor 2. After extensive attempts to update the drivers and install a different program to remove and then update the drivers, I have had no luck. Paul Remde has been very helpful trying to figure out the problem, and indicates he believes there is a hardware change in the connectors of the latest Oudie 2s. Naviter is unresponsive to requests for the specifics of the hardware change. Paul has been able to connect an older Oudie 2 with the cable, but has had no luck with the newest Oudie 2.

Would anyone have any other suggestions for a fix? Or perhaps be able to encourage Naviter to provide some customer support? So far, two emails have gone unanswered.

Thanks,

Nelson Howe

Not sure what the "newest" Oudie 2 is, but I bought one from Paul about 6 months ago and it works fine with Condor 2, using the cable Paul sold me many years ago. Seems unlikely they would change the pin out of that connector...
Old January 22nd 20, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nelson Howe
external usenet poster

Thank you for the update Paul. I appreciate the follow up and look forward to trying the new cable.

Nelson
Old February 8th 20, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde
external usenet poster

Hi,

This is an update. Naviter just sent me some beta software to test with a new Oudie 2 and new Goddard Condor-Oudie-Rev2 cable. It worked great. The mini-USB port changed on the most recent batch of Oudies. The included Oudie power/data cable with red shrink tubing takes care of the hardware change. New SeeYou Mobile and ConnectMe software addresses the software changes.

I have the new Goddard Condor-Oudie-Rev2 cables in stock. A note earlier in this tread covers how to tell if your new Oudie 2 needs the old or new Goddard Condor-Oudie cable.

Note that Oudie IGC units have not changed and can't receive data from Condor2 anyway.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 3:40:27 PM UTC-6, Nelson Howe wrote:
Thank you for the update Paul. I appreciate the follow up and look forward to trying the new cable.

Nelson

Old February 8th 20, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

What are the implications of the new connector if replacing an Oudie 2 with the new one in a glider with cables already mounted?

Do the preexisting cables in the glider have to be replaced?

Kevin
Old February 9th 20, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde
external usenet poster

Hi Kevin,

Yes. The Oudie 2 hardware must match the cables used. The mini-USB connector pins changed in the most recent Oudies. If you are using the Oudie power/data cable that was purchased with the Oudie, then you're all set.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

On Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 8:37:10 AM UTC-6, wrote:
What are the implications of the new connector if replacing an Oudie 2 with the new one in a glider with cables already mounted?

Do the preexisting cables in the glider have to be replaced?

Kevin

Old February 9th 20, 07:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Wedgwood[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 1:31:17 AM UTC+1, Paul Remde wrote:

Note that Oudie IGC units have not changed and can't receive data from Condor2 anyway.

There is a way..

http://www.condorsoaring.com/forums/...=19127#p167780

Old February 9th 20, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde
external usenet poster

Hi Chris,

I would be worried about adversely affecting the Oudie IGC's electronic security seal.

Also, I worry that it may lead to the Oudie IGC losing its IGC approval.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
On Sunday, February 9, 2020 at 1:19:19 AM UTC-6, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
On Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 1:31:17 AM UTC+1, Paul Remde wrote:

There is a way..

http://www.condorsoaring.com/forums/...=19127#p167780

Old February 11th 20, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Hill[_3_]
external usenet poster

On 09/02/2020 00:00, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Kevin,

Yes. The Oudie 2 hardware must match the cables used. The mini-USB connector pins changed in the most recent Oudies. If you are using the Oudie power/data cable that was purchased with the Oudie, then you're all set.

Can you provide a bit more info on the change in mini-USB as I thought
this was pretty fixed.

I assume the USB part works just the same so a standard USB cable to a
PC would work with the updater or browsing the Oude as data disk but the
serial port emulation inside the Oudie has changed hence the need for a
new cable to match?

I can see this causing lots of confusion in the future as something
labled as an Oudie power/data cable is no longer just a Oudie power/data
cable

--

Nick Hill
Old February 12th 20, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde
external usenet poster

Hi Nick,

The challenge with the Oudie and similar devices is that they are using a mini-USB port to do double-duty. It connects to a PC as a USB slave, and it has TTL Serial connections for communicating with soaring variometers and Condor on a PC. The cable has 5 wires. They are very well defined for USB communications, but since TTL serial data communications are non-standard, the connections are not set in stone. Old and new Oudie 2 units and Oudie IGC units will all connect to a PC using a standard USB to mini-USB cable for flight log downloads, waypoint uploads, updates, etc. But for TTL serial data, something changed in the hardware due to lack of standardization. It isn't Naviter's fault, they buy the Oudie hardware. The change is a bummer, but well defined.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

On Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 10:01:34 AM UTC-6, Nick Hill wrote:
On 09/02/2020 00:00, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Kevin,

Can you provide a bit more info on the change in mini-USB as I thought
this was pretty fixed.

I assume the USB part works just the same so a standard USB cable to a
PC would work with the updater or browsing the Oude as data disk but the
serial port emulation inside the Oudie has changed hence the need for a
new cable to match?

I can see this causing lots of confusion in the future as something
labled as an Oudie power/data cable is no longer just a Oudie power/data
cable

--

Nick Hill