NetJets Layoff

Old July 3rd 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_1_]

Default NetJets Layoff

wrote

They make me quit, agreeing that it was my idea. I'm quitting because
my job was eliminated, it was not in any way performance related... And
I agree that I can never work for NetJets again in the future.

The lawyers are going to have a field day with this....

Agreed. There is certainly more here, than what is being told, one way or
the other.

I wouldn't mind a nice fat unlawful termination suit being won in my favor,
would you? g
--
Jim in NC

Old July 3rd 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Casey Wilson[_1_]

"Morgans" wrote in message

wrote

They make me quit, agreeing that it was my idea. I'm quitting because
my job was eliminated, it was not in any way performance related... And
I agree that I can never work for NetJets again in the future.

The lawyers are going to have a field day with this....

Agreed. There is certainly more here, than what is being told, one way or
the other.

I wouldn't mind a nice fat unlawful termination suit being won in my
favor, would you?

And what do you see as "unlawful termination?" Color? Creed? Age?
Gender? Without an explicit contract saying otherwise, any employer can
terminate any employee and do it **WITHOUT** cause. The only thing I see
that might have been unethical was the horsesh... feathers about signing a
voluntary termination note. That released the employer from any obligation
for paying unemployment benefits. While it may have been unethical, it was
NOT illegal.

I feel bad for Joseph and his fellow former NetJets employees, but the
bottom line is: ===nobody is guaranteed a job===

As sad as it may seem that lots of folks are going to be spending a
long hot summer with no income, and as chicken sh...tuff as it may seem, no
legal beagle is going to make a dime unless they can prove color, creed,
age, or gender was involved.
Ask my wife. Several years ago, she worked for a corporation long
enough to top out, pay wise, in her job code. In January of that year, she
received an award for Employee of the Year. In addition to a fancy
certificate and cash bonus, the company gave her a voucher for a week
vacation at a Florida resort. When we got back from Florida the following
May, she found a letter in her in-box that her services were no longer
required. When she found that another person had been hired to do her former
job at less than half the salary, she went to a lawyer --- a friend we've
known for decades. His response was, "....nobody is guaranteed a job."

Old July 3rd 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I've never worked for NetJets. Someone close to me was.

Honestly, I don't know the legalities where this is involved, and what
the selection criteria was for the layoffs. But I do know that telling
someone 'sign this or you won't get any severance pay' could pretty
easily spawn a legal battle based on duress. The two I know are over
40, so age discrimination could be a factor. One was promoted into a
position then a month or so later that 'position' is eliminated, the
other was relocated from out of state. My reason for posting wasn't to
indicate NetJets did anything illegally.. I'm not that closely involved
in it. I posted it because it sickened me to hear the poor treatment
they (and presumable many others) received.

We are a litigious society, where people can get paid for doing
something stupid... So to say they need to just accept it because 'it
happened to me' would indicate to me your wife probably should have got
a second opinion. ;-)

Old July 3rd 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

wrote in message
ps.com...
Aparently a senior manager (executive level) told them in a meeting
earlier in the month that there would be no layoffs, nobody would be
losing their job. He then was the one to notify at least some of them
of their 'voluntary' resignation.

I haven't seen the resignations that were wrote for them so I can't
confirm this, but I heard they also disallowed any future employment
with the company.

It's getting complicated...

Let's see...

They make me quit, agreeing that it was my idea. I'm quitting because
my job was eliminated, it was not in any way performance related... And
I agree that I can never work for NetJets again in the future.

The lawyers are going to have a field day with this....

I doubt it, Warren didn't get to where he is by making mistakes such as you
suggest. Based on your biased posts it is sounding more and more like they
were terminations due to performance issues. Don't forget we have 'at will'
employment in this country. Either party can terminate employment without
notice for no reason.

Old July 4th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

I read somewhere that NetJets lost $143M in 2005.

john smith wrote:
A friend was given notice at 4:00 PM Tuesday afternoon. No explaination
was given for the layoff, only that it was not performance related. This
was a top management level employee.
The local news organizations have not yet picked up the story.

Old July 4th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tom Conner

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I read somewhere that NetJets lost $143M in 2005.

I always felt that offering fractional ownership of a plane for business
purposes was not a sustainable business model. Corporate private flying is
primarily ego driven (must have plane - makes me look important), not
business driven. For most companies it is an unnecessary expense, so they
will eventually drop it. The next aviation business failure appears to be
the idea that very light jets can be used as business transportation between
small airports. Maybe, maybe not. The next few years will tell.

Old July 4th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Granby

BTIZ wrote:

that means they can't collect un employment benefits

Not always. At least in this state the employer will receive a form on
which they can state (inter alia) that the employee resigned in which
case benefits may be denied. However, if the employer doesn't return
the form or fails to contest an appeal from the employee, benefits will
still be paid. It is not unknown for companies to agree not to fight
unemployment claims in a settlement agreement.