Boeing to cease 757 production

Old October 18th 03, 02:44 AM
Capt. Doug

Default Boeing to cease 757 production

There was a one paragraph blurb in the business section this morning that
Boeing will shutdown the 757 production line late next year. Is the
Dreamliner to be the replacement in the product line? I didn't think the
Dreamliner would be certified that soon.

D.

Old October 18th 03, 03:45 AM
David H

"Capt. Doug" wrote:

There was a one paragraph blurb in the business section this morning that
Boeing will shutdown the 757 production line late next year. Is the
Dreamliner to be the replacement in the product line? I didn't think the
Dreamliner would be certified that soon.

This has been big news around here in the Seattle area, as you might expect
(especially since Boeing continues to shed tens of thousands of jobs
locally).

The 757 line in Renton will be shut down next year as they work through the
last of their orders.

The company has not formally made a decision whether or not to commit to
producing the 7E7. They say they will make that announcement, and will say
where it will be built, later this year. 7E7s won't be flying for a while.

As you can imagine, people around here are watching closely. Most folks
seem to agree that the plane will be built (unlike some other recent high
profile Boeing projects), and many are saying that the end of 757 production
actually makes it even more likley that they will build the 7E7.

Personally, I believe they will commit to the 7E7, but it's anybody's guess
as to where they will build it. The company's leaders seems to take great
pleasure in bashing the Seattle area every chance they get, and if I had to
bet my lunch money on it, I probably wouldn't put my chips on the hometown,
even though that seems to make the most sense to me.

My 2 cents.

David H
Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

Old October 18th 03, 05:17 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 01:44:44 GMT, "Capt. Doug"
wrote in Message-Id:
:

There was a one paragraph blurb in the business section this morning that
Boeing will shutdown the 757 production line late next year. Is the
Dreamliner to be the replacement in the product line? I didn't think the
Dreamliner would be certified that soon.

D.

BOEING CO. said it would shut down its 757 narrow-body jet line
in Renton, Wash., in late 2004 after 22 years for lack of
orders, and take a pretax charge of $184 million. Boeing's
Seattle-based jetliner unit delivered more than 1,000 of the
mid-sized 757s since 1982 but airlines in recent years have
instead chosen the smaller and cheaper 737 model as well as
jets from rival Airbus SAS.
(Reuters 05:08 PM ET 10/16/2003)

Mo
http://q1.schwab.com/s/r?l=248&a=876...a&s=rb0310 16

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera,
Old October 18th 03, 03:25 PM
JohnMcGrew

In article , David H
writes:

The company's leaders seems to take great
pleasure in bashing the Seattle area every chance they get, and if I had to
bet my lunch money on it, I probably wouldn't put my chips on the hometown,
even though that seems to make the most sense to me.

Just as the local government has been taking pleasure in bashing Boeing for
years. Call it the results of biting the hand that feeds you, or gorging on
the golden goose.

John
Old October 18th 03, 08:29 PM
Larry Fransson

On 2003-10-17 18:44:44 -0700, (null) said:

There was a one paragraph blurb in the business section this morning that
Boeing will shutdown the 757 production line late next year. Is the
Dreamliner to be the replacement in the product line? I didn't think the
Dreamliner would be certified that soon.

They are going to spend more time and energy on the new 737s. Continental recently converted an order for a couple 757s to an order for 737-800s.

Old October 20th 03, 12:22 AM
Jessica Gallagher

David H wrote:

Personally, I believe they will commit to the 7E7, but it's anybody's guess
as to where they will build it. The company's leaders seems to take great
pleasure in bashing the Seattle area every chance they get, and if I had to
bet my lunch money on it, I probably wouldn't put my chips on the hometown,
even though that seems to make the most sense to me.

The local government figures have been attacking Boeing for years, and squeezing
them hard for every drop and cent every time Boeing wanted to do anything. They
certainly should not be the least bit surprised if Boeing decides it wants to do
major manufacturing elsewhere, in more hospitable territory. It also would not
be shocking to see the wings manufactured in Japan, where many orders may come
from. Moving the hq out of Washington should have been a huge wake up signal.

Old October 20th 03, 01:20 AM
Ralph Snart

"Jessica Gallagher" wrote in message
David H wrote:

[...]

Yet another reason that business is leaving America - increasingly
stringent enviromental regulations, increasinly complex goverment
regulations, increasingly excessive taxes; when the business leaves, those
jobs are gone...forever.

The biggest lie in the world.. "I'm from the goverment, and I'm here to
help'.

Old October 20th 03, 03:06 AM
Mike Rapoport

"Ralph Snart" wrote in message

Yet another reason that business is leaving America - increasingly
stringent enviromental regulations, increasinly complex goverment
regulations, increasingly excessive taxes; when the business leaves,

those
jobs are gone...forever.

You should stop listening to so much talk radio.

Mike
MU-2

Old October 20th 03, 04:05 AM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 02:06:23 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote in Message-Id:
. net:

"Ralph Snart" wrote in message

Yet another reason that business is leaving America - increasingly
stringent enviromental regulations, increasinly complex goverment
regulations, increasingly excessive taxes; when the business leaves,

those
jobs are gone...forever.

You should stop listening to so much talk radio.

Actually, I believe I heard that Boeing wings (model(s)?) are
currently manufactured in Japan, and Boeing plans to outsource wings
and other parts for future models abroad. The reduced labor cost in
foreign countries probably more than cover shipping costs. How else
do you explain the recent jump in manufacturing, and continued
increase in unemployment?

Old October 20th 03, 05:51 AM
Ralph Snart

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Ralph Snart" wrote in message

Yet another reason that business is leaving America - increasingly
stringent enviromental regulations, increasinly complex goverment
regulations, increasingly excessive taxes; when the business leaves,

those
jobs are gone...forever.

You should stop listening to so much talk radio.

Mike
MU-2

Just what did I state that is incorrect?

BTW, has NAFTA, GATT and other 'free trade' laws cause you to lose
your job? If not, you one of the lucky ones. Speak to the many from HP,
SISCO, Nike, Microsoft, Levi Strauss, etc whose jobs are now overseas. They
would say that YOU need to listen to talk radio.