What to buy at OSH this year?

Old June 30th 05, 04:18 PM
Jay Honeck

Well (sniff) aluminum faceplates don't crack, and the price for the whole
damned audio panel is just a bit more than the Narco faceplate, but you DO
need to know which end of the soldering iron gets hot {;-)

And just how many beers is this going to cost me?

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 30th 05, 04:28 PM
Jay Honeck

You got a blueprint or other design with dimensions, I can probably cut it
on one of our CNC machines...make it as fancy as you want.

Wow -- thanks. That really would solve a lot of problems.

Of course, I have NO idea how to tell you the precise dimensions. It looks
like this:

http://www.narco-avionics.com/cp136picbody.htm

Without the silly white rectangular labels under each button. (The labels
are printed on the black background on every CP-136 I've ever seen.)

Of course, this tells you NOTHING about thickness, and what's inside...

:-(

How do you go about duplicating a part?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 30th 05, 05:30 PM
xyzzy

Jay Honeck wrote:
2. Would those be the MARKER BEACON lights? I've never seen glideslope
lights.

Yeah, those thingies...

;-)

Also known as the "the things that beep and flash as you are climbing
out (if the rwy has ILS approaches in both directions) and landing,
scaring the beejebers out of pax who are unfamiliar with what to expect
in the cockpit."

Old July 1st 05, 12:03 AM
RST Engineering

Jay -- it is really quite simple. You take the faceplate off, you measure
all the dimensions relative to a common point (most of us like the lower
left hand corner of the beast), you put those dimensions into a computer
program, load a blank of aluminum into the machine, push "go" and out the
other end comes an exact duplicate.

John -- I don't see any mounting hardware on the faceplate itself, so there
must be a couple of tapped mounting bosses inside the panel. Since I don't
have one in my hand, I can't take those dimensions. If anybody out there
has a cracked or otherwise junk 136 faceplate they would be willing to loan
either John or I to do the dimensioning, I'd really appreciate it.

Jay -- since this is an "owner produced part" for a certificated airplane,
are you sure you want to get into the middle of that excruciatingly long
thread in public? {;-)

Jim

Old July 1st 05, 02:23 AM
Jay Honeck

Jay -- it is really quite simple. You take the faceplate off, you measure
all the dimensions relative to a common point (most of us like the lower
left hand corner of the beast), you put those dimensions into a computer
program, load a blank of aluminum into the machine, push "go" and out the
other end comes an exact duplicate.

How come every time you say "It's really quite simple" it always seems to be
something incredibly complex?

Must be that Apollo Program experience...

;-)

John -- I don't see any mounting hardware on the faceplate itself, so
there must be a couple of tapped mounting bosses inside the panel. Since
I don't have one in my hand, I can't take those dimensions. If anybody
out there has a cracked or otherwise junk 136 faceplate they would be
willing to loan either John or I to do the dimensioning, I'd really
appreciate it.

Well, therein lies the rub. If I take the faceplate off, all the little
buttons go "boing!" all over the cockpit. Otherwise I'd just mail it to you
tomorrow!

It's not the best design. The buttons are smaller than your fingers, and
when you push them in, especially in turbulence, you tend to push the
faceplate, too. This, of course, puts lots of stress on the four
screw-holes that are in the sides of the faceplate (2 on each side), which
eventually cracks it.

Jay -- since this is an "owner produced part" for a certificated airplane,
are you sure you want to get into the middle of that excruciatingly long
thread in public? {;-)

Hmm. Sure sounds legal to me. What's the big deal?

It's not like it's a prop governor or sumpin'...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 1st 05, 02:41 AM
Bob Chilcoat

Yeah, and not just the Pax. When I landed on rw 4R at EWR a few weeks ago,
the damn marker beacon went off as I came over the threshold. I was a bit
nervous and excited anyway, and having something beeping that I'd never
heard before was not cool. Gave me a start for a few seconds until I
figured out what light was flashing with it. I knew it wasn't the stall
warning, because that's only a red light on the Archer. Climbing out from
rw 29, it went off again, but this time I was better able to ignore it.

Old July 1st 05, 02:51 AM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Are you driving the same vehicle this year?

Nope. White Astro mini van this year. But it does have a rebuilt
transmission, that is only a year (plus a little) old. I'm not going to say
something like "no problems" and jinx myself. :-)
--
Jim in NC

Old July 1st 05, 08:28 AM
John T

Well, a couple of options for getting the dimensions of your face plate
would be A) send me the faceplate, and I'll bring it back to you at
Oshkosh, or B) I could take measurements of it at at Oshkosh and send
you a new one in aluminum.

John

Old July 1st 05, 01:51 PM
Jay Honeck

Well, a couple of options for getting the dimensions of your face plate
would be A) send me the faceplate, and I'll bring it back to you at
Oshkosh, or B) I could take measurements of it at at Oshkosh and send you
a new one in aluminum.

Thanks, John. When I take the faceplate off all the pushbuttons fall off,
so I really can't mail it to you.

Are you coming to the North 40 cookout on Wednesday night? We could try to
do it there, hopefully before the adult beverages take their toll...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 1st 05, 02:30 PM
Dave Butler

Jay Honeck wrote:
Well, a couple of options for getting the dimensions of your face plate
would be A) send me the faceplate, and I'll bring it back to you at
Oshkosh, or B) I could take measurements of it at at Oshkosh and send you
a new one in aluminum.

Thanks, John. When I take the faceplate off all the pushbuttons fall off,
so I really can't mail it to you.

Are you coming to the North 40 cookout on Wednesday night? We could try to
do it there, hopefully before the adult beverages take their toll...

Not sure whether this is practical, but what about putting the faceplate
face-down on a scanner/copier next to a scale (ruler). Then you can mail/fax
(whatever) the copy?

Dave