Lost comm procedure for Flight Following (more on Honek's posting)

Old July 12th 05, 06:01 AM
G. Sylvester

Default Lost comm procedure for Flight Following (more on Honek's posting)

I was on flight following going into Shelter Cove, CA. I was at 6500.
I flew VFR as Shelter Cove has no IAP but saw the MEA's were 6700 (IIRC)
and according to a FSS briefer, radar coverage up there "sucks." Anyway
OAK center was relatively quiet. Granted, I know many times the same
guy will work many sectors. Nonetheless after a number of calls with
no response I got onto it. Eventually I was passed over to a different
sector with a different controller. I called up "Cherokee XXX, 6500."
No response. I waited a minute or two. Called again. No response.
I waited probably another 3 minutes and called again. After a couple
of minutes I the controller gets back to me. I fly for 20 minutes
and over the mountains near the shoreline. I call up to cancel flight
following before they kick me off and/or lose communications. I call
three times with no response.

Well a few weeks ago I think it was Jay Honek who landed while on FF
since the clouds were pushing him down. When he landed the airport
manager said the controller asked him to check on you as they lost him
on radar. We discussed the procedures and I did as a number of people
recommended. I made a radio call "Last aircraft on frequency, please
tell OAK Center Cherokee ABC12 is cancelling flight following. We
appear to have lost comm. Again this is Cherokee ABC12" Immediately
the controller comes back and cancels FF. I simply did not want
to cause another false emergency.

On the way back I called up for an IFR clearance and the same thing.
I called a few times over many minutes. I then waited probably 10-15
minutes called again, no response, call again and then the controller
sounded kind of like "Cherokee XXXXX, I hear you loud and clear. Go
ahead with your request."

Anyone know what the heck is going on? I felt like I was kind of being
rude but my VFR-only co-pilot said I was reasonable. (Jon, I know
you just started IFR. I promise the headaches will come. For now
learn from the Captain Top Dumb while I also tease you ).

Gerald Sylvester
PSE

Old July 12th 05, 12:21 PM
Denny

He was busy with 'something'... Nothing you can do...
Well, I spoze you could threaten him with changing your squawk to 7700,
which will set off bells, and cause a review of the tape by the
supervisor... That might get him to answer...
OTOH, I suggest what you did was just fine... Announce your intentions
clearly so it is understandable on the tape, and then just do it! You
are PIC, remember?

denny

Old July 12th 05, 03:34 PM
G. Sylvester

Denny wrote:
He was busy with 'something'... Nothing you can do...
Well, I spoze you could threaten him with changing your squawk to 7700,
which will set off bells, and cause a review of the tape by the
supervisor... That might get him to answer...
OTOH, I suggest what you did was just fine... Announce your intentions
clearly so it is understandable on the tape, and then just do it! You
are PIC, remember?

of course. I'm just used to "being on FF" or "NOT being on FF." In
other words, if his workload permits giving me traffic advisories
then do it. Otherwise kick me off FF. Don't keep the string
attached and ignore me. the other plan of action was to just stay
on the squawk, land and call FSS or Center.

Gerald