Against What Odds?

Old March 31st 04, 12:59 AM
Shawn Curry

Default Against What Odds?

April Soaring pg 41. Short article entitled "Against The Odds" about a
woman making her first solo flight. Congratulations Bobbi, well done
and welcome to the club!
As for the writer of the piece, is it me, or is he trying to discourage
every other woman out there from taking up soaring? The tone of his
piece comes off (again, to me) as "Isn't it just swell that this little
girl can fly a glider."
If she beat some terrible odds to become a glider pilot, it either
wasn't included in the piece, or it was edited out. That could be a
good story, rather than "All the credit goes to Bobbi's instructors".
Bull****! Most of the credit goes to this woman for following through.
That's what solo means! Did you give all credit to your instructors?
I didn't. They're good, but I did it myself, so did you, them, and
the guy who wrote the article.
Just doesn't seem like the best way to honor her achievement, or
encourage other women to follow.
O.K. I think I'm done ranting.
Just don't get me started on "Gray hairs on parade" in the coverage of
the SSA annual awards.

Shawn
Balding with dignity
Old April 4th 04, 09:02 PM
Jack

On 3/30/04 6:59 PM, in article KRnac.40111$K91.103909@attbi_s02, "Shawn
Curry" wrote:

April Soaring pg 41. Short article entitled "Against The Odds" about a
woman making her first solo flight. Congratulations Bobbi, well done
and welcome to the club! As for the writer of the piece, is it me, or
is he trying to discourage every other woman out there from taking up
soaring?

Probably not, but not all of us have learned to express ourselves in the
modern P-C manner, with no hint of our former pig-like selves or a less than
cosmopolitan background showing through (oink). I'm assume the writer was
sincere and has respect for the subject: otherwise the piece would not have
been submitted.

The tone of his piece comes off (again, to me) as,
"Isn't it just swell that this little girl can fly a glider?"
If she beat some terrible odds to become a glider pilot, it either
wasn't included in the piece, or it was edited out. That could be a
good story, rather than "All the credit goes to Bobbi's instructors".

You are right. I wish I knew the people involved. I hope that when she reads
it in the magazine she is gratified that the writer is happy for her and
that the world now knows of her accomplishments. You and I enjoy
deconstructing this sort of thing. Many folks don't bother, but give
everybody the benefit of the doubt -- but not, of course, here on the NGs. I
myself am just lying in wait for the next idiot that attempts to render the
plural form of "aircraft" as "aircrafts". I'll probably have to look over on
the rec.aviation.military NG for that. People here are generally on top of
little things like language.

Just don't get me started on "Gray hairs on parade" in the coverage of
the SSA annual awards.

How's recruitment going out there? Our club has jumped over 30 percent this
year, and some of the Friendly New Guys (and Gals) actually have all their
hair. I wish I'd started this soaring stuff when I still did.

Jack

Old April 4th 04, 09:36 PM
Tim Ward

Curry" wrote:

[...]

I know Dan, and I know Bobbi, and Dan is teasing Bobbi. Don't worry about
it.

Tim Ward

Old April 5th 04, 12:07 AM
Shawn Curry

Jack wrote:

You are right. I wish I knew the people involved. I hope that when she reads
it in the magazine she is gratified that the writer is happy for her and
that the world now knows of her accomplishments. You and I enjoy
deconstructing this sort of thing. Many folks don't bother, but give
everybody the benefit of the doubt -- but not, of course, here on the NGs

I seem to recall asking "Is it just me..."
Maybe it is. As for "deconstructing" There's not much deconstruction
involved in figuring out "All the credit goes to Bobbi's instructors".
That's either poor form, or an inside joke that doesn't translate well
to a nationally publicised magazine. But maybe that's just me.

Just don't get me started on "Gray hairs on parade" in the coverage of
the SSA annual awards.

How's recruitment going out there? Our club has jumped over 30 percent this
year, and some of the Friendly New Guys (and Gals) actually have all their
hair. I wish I'd started this soaring stuff when I still did.

The reason for my post was to comment (a lot of that on NGs if you
haven't noticed) how Soaring Magazine represents soaring the sport. I
felt they stumbled this month. I think I was surprised because its
improved so much over the last year or so.

Shawn
Old April 5th 04, 06:52 AM
Graeme Cant

Shawn Curry wrote:

....snip
Just don't get me started on "Gray hairs on parade" in the coverage of
the SSA annual awards.

That's such an unreasoning prejudice that it's impossible to resist the
challenge. What's wrong with a sport where successful contestants and
honoured participants are often over 50? Nobody complains that swimming
podiums are full of 14-20 year olds. Dinghy sailing champions are
18-25. Not many footballers get past 30. So what? If gliding suits
over 50s, lets just accept that's the way God made it.

Gliding won't die out. There are as many moderately well off,
adventurous 50 year olds created every day as there are teenagers
looking to satisfy a 10-second attention span. In fact it's the number
of teenagers which is declining, not the number of 50 year olds.
Gliding is about to enter a golden age - and it's not because the
shrinking number of high school graduates will discover it.

....snip

The reason for my post was to comment (a lot of that on NGs if you
haven't noticed) how Soaring Magazine represents soaring the sport. I
felt they stumbled this month. I think I was surprised because its
improved so much over the last year or so.

I can't see how your virulent expressions of ageism help our image.
Soaring seems to reflect the reality. It's hard to beat that as an
editorial policy.

There seems an element of personal insecurity here, Shawn. Don't
worry, you'll eventually become an attractive, older man like most of
the rest of us (the remainder being attractive and interesting older
women largely). Being young isn't a permanent handicap.

Go, Jack!

Graeme Cant

Shawn

Old April 5th 04, 07:53 PM
Shawn Curry

Graeme Cant write:
Shawn Curry wrote:

That's such an unreasoning prejudice that it's impossible to resist the
challenge. What's wrong with a sport where successful contestants and
honoured participants are often over 50? Nobody complains that swimming
podiums are full of 14-20 year olds. Dinghy sailing champions are
18-25. Not many footballers get past 30. So what? If gliding suits
over 50s, lets just accept that's the way God made it.

God didn't invent soaring Chanute did.

Whiff! You missed my point. Gliding suits over 50 (or 40 like me)
types because a lot of us started in our teens and 20s (like me). As I
said in a personal message to a well respected 40 something in our sport
(who started at 13) in regards to my comment; If we are to attract new
participants to our
sport, we should project an image that is appealing to youth, or at
least younger people than us in general. Having a cover photo of an old
guy sitting in an old glider, then the whole center section filled with
pics of seniors standing around a banquet hall, is not going to help
recruit younger members.
NO, I'm not saying don't honor these guys. They are the deserving
giants of our sport in the US. But
was it the best choice PR wise to make a big photo spread out of the
awards ceremony? I think you know my opinion.
Do most people make major lifestyle changes after their 30s? Soaring is
a lifestyle sport,. We need to recruit new pilots while they are young
(teens to early 30s) and have some money and more time, to establish the
sport in their lifestyle.

Gliding won't die out. There are as many moderately well off,

Don't bet on it.

adventurous 50 year olds created every day

I haven't see many of them as ab initio students at the club I fly with.
The ones I know of are power transition.

as there are teenagers
looking to satisfy a 10-second attention span.

Yeah? Which generation created that? Not mine, we were sold it. MTV
was born in my senior year in High School ('80-81) We sure as hell
didn't invent it.
BTW demographics don't work that way. A significant portion of the
population doesn't make it to age 50 (10%) vs 2% that don't make it to 20.

In fact it's the number
of teenagers which is declining, not the number of 50 year olds. Gliding
is about to enter a golden age - and it's not because the shrinking
number of high school graduates will discover it.

No its because its membership is entering its golden years.
(Couldn't have written a better straight line myself :-) )

I can't see how your virulent expressions of ageism help our image.
Soaring seems to reflect the reality. It's hard to beat that as an
editorial policy.

Boy (Old Man?), that's a stretch.

There seems an element of personal insecurity here, Shawn.

Snap! Stretched way too far there Graemie. I fit my skin pretty well.
Do personal attacks usually help you advance your argument? I usually
only resort to them when I'm feeling insecure. BTW, I don't feel
addressing the implications of the aging pilot population is an attack
on anyone. Its facing the obvious.
I would like to see this sport grow to keep fields open, keep new
gliders coming. and maintain a market for my used ones. Besides the
obvious (but I'll say it) fact that its a great sport I'd like to share.
Is dieing ageist? Well when we get old we die. The soaring population
is aging. Do the math.

Damn, I told you not to get me started. :-)

Shawn

Old April 5th 04, 08:39 PM
Mark James Boyd

Soaring had a survey, and I filled it out. I suggested
the covers be more exciting and varied. Gliders doing
aerobatics, parachutists out of gliders, motorgliders
towing another glider, glider formations doing aerobatics,
big gaggles, thermalling with a paraglider or hangglider,
multi-tow with three gliders, auto-tow launch, etc. The
kind of stuff that ISN'T a picture of a white glider
and "scenery."

Two of my club's best "new to us" pilots are
former hang glider pilots who have switched to rigid wing
and enclosed cockpit. Yep they're 50+, but it seems
like a natural progression. But to get younger
glider pilots, more exciting stuff is needed.
Get some exciting Soaring covers, vary it up a bit at your
club, go wild! Perhaps a Soaring Rave?

--

------------+
Mark Boyd
Old April 5th 04, 09:56 PM
Shawn Curry

Mark James Boyd wrote:

Soaring had a survey, and I filled it out. I suggested
the covers be more exciting and varied. Gliders doing
aerobatics, parachutists out of gliders, motorgliders
towing another glider, glider formations doing aerobatics,
big gaggles, thermalling with a paraglider or hangglider,
multi-tow with three gliders, auto-tow launch, etc. The
kind of stuff that ISN'T a picture of a white glider
and "scenery."

You know, if I were the guy in that 1-26 I'd be really proud of that
painting on the latest cover. Its really quite nice. But its a bit
bucolic for the younger crowd (even me).
I was looking at a recent REI catalog directed straight-as-an-arrow at
the sort of demographic that soaring would appeal to. Late 20's into
50s, active with money. Lots of actiony pics, pans, soft focus up close
"healthy 30 something" models. Not what you see in Soaring. Aerial
shots of Lasham? Yawn. Actually, the shot accompanying the article
that I was complaining about to start this evil thread is the best one
in this issue.
(irony not lost :-) )

Two of my club's best "new to us" pilots are
former hang glider pilots who have switched to rigid wing
and enclosed cockpit. Yep they're 50+, but it seems
like a natural progression. But to get younger
glider pilots, more exciting stuff is needed.
Get some exciting Soaring covers, vary it up a bit at your
club, go wild! Perhaps a Soaring Rave?

I don't know. Ecstasy and soaring? :-)
Don't get me wrong. We should try to attract hang/paragliding pilots
young and old, as well as power converts. Aviation is a small field to
pick from though. Soaring needs to attract new people never involved in
aviation to break from the ever-aging population in GA. REI can market
to them. So can we.

Shawn

P.S. This summer, I'm going to pursue some different styles of soaring
photography. See what I can do that's different from the norm.
Old April 6th 04, 03:25 PM
SNOOP

Graeme,

You should take your statement "being young isn't a permanent
handicap" and put it on bumper stickers, and t-shirts, and sell them
to senior citizens. You'd sell a million. I'll take one of each. Save
one for Shawn! Cheers!

Graeme Cant wrote in message ...

...snip

Old April 6th 04, 04:04 PM
Shawn Curry

SNOOP wrote:
Graeme,

You should take your statement "being young isn't a permanent
handicap" and put it on bumper stickers, and t-shirts, and sell them
to senior citizens. You'd sell a million. I'll take one of each. Save
one for Shawn! Cheers!

Har Har ;-)
I like the one from the CEO where I used to work (thouroughly in his 50s
at the time).
"You only grow old once, but you can be immature all your life." He was.

Shawn

2 civilian airliners down south of Moscow Pete Military Aviation 64 September 11th 04 04:16 PM
What are the odds? Capt.Doug Home Built 4 March 15th 04 04:49 PM
What are the odds? Capt.Doug Piloting 2 March 14th 04 01:39 AM
What would you do? Sven Piloting 68 January 8th 04 08:33 PM
Odds and Ends.... Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo Piloting 0 August 17th 03 03:46 AM