New Butterfly Vario

Old January 25th 12, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default New Butterfly Vario

Hi,

I have just added the new Butterfly Vario to my web site. It is a very
impressive new vario with FLARM display (when attached to a FLARM), GPS
flight recorder, simple navigation, simple final glide, artificial horizon,
and many other very nice features. You can see details he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/butterfly.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old January 26th 12, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 25, 12:15*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi,

I have just added the new Butterfly Vario to my web site. *It is a very
impressive new vario with FLARM display (when attached to a FLARM), GPS
flight recorder, simple navigation, simple final glide, artificial horizon,
and many other very nice features. *You can see details hehttp://www..cumulus-soaring.com/butterfly.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

It will be worth informing your customers that fly in US sanctioned
contests that this instrument, as described, will not
be legal for use in US contests due to the incorporation of the
artificial horizon.
UH
Old January 26th 12, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jan 26, 12:14*pm, wrote:
It will be worth informing your customers that fly in US sanctioned
contests that this instrument, as described, will not
be legal for use in US contests due to the incorporation of the
artificial horizon.
UH

Early reports on this unit indicated the horizon can be disabled.
Don't know the means or whether such disabling would be considered
equivalent to having a conventional mechanical gyro instrument removed
from the glider. It seems the designers did consider the need though.

Andy
Old January 26th 12, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Jan 26, 12:14*pm, wrote:
On Jan 25, 12:15*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:

Hi,

I have just added the new Butterfly Vario to my web site. *It is a very
impressive new vario with FLARM display (when attached to a FLARM), GPS
flight recorder, simple navigation, simple final glide, artificial horizon,
and many other very nice features. *You can see details hehttp://www.cumulus-soaring.com/butterfly.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

It will be worth informing your customers that fly in US sanctioned
contests that this instrument, as described, will not
be legal for use in US contests due to the incorporation of the
artificial horizon.
UH

I raised the same issue when I first read about it and was told that
the horizon feature can be disabled for use in sanctioned contests.

It looks like a very interesting new instrument and I'm looking
forward to hearing some flight reviews.

Mike
Old January 26th 12, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Jan 26, 12:07*pm, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Jan 26, 12:14*pm, wrote:

[...]

I would like to see some real images of it, the CAD renderings are
cool, but nothing like seeing the "real" unit.

Brad
Old January 26th 12, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 26, 3:01*pm, Andy wrote:
On Jan 26, 12:14*pm, wrote:

It will be worth informing your customers that fly in US sanctioned
contests that this instrument, as described, will not
be legal for use in US contests due to the incorporation of the
artificial horizon.
UH

Early reports on this unit indicated the horizon can be disabled.
Don't know the means or whether such disabling would be considered
equivalent to having a conventional mechanical gyro instrument removed
from the glider. *It seems the designers did consider the need though.

Andy

It will remain to be seen as to how it is disabled and how this is
confirmed so enforcement isn't a PITA.
UH
Old January 26th 12, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Im debating this and the V7. Maybe even the clearNAV. With Flarm, nano and the butterfly vario I would have 3 certified loggers in my glider...so it feels a little overkill and very expensive. For another 1500 you can have an LX8000. Not sure if that $3300 price is going to fly. The V7 seems best at the moment.
Old January 26th 12, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Jan 26, 2:26*pm, Sean Fidler wrote:
Im debating this and the V7. *Maybe even the clearNAV. *With Flarm, nano and the butterfly vario I would have 3 certified loggers in my glider....so it feels a little overkill and very expensive. *For another 1500 you can have an LX8000. *Not sure if that $3300 price is going to fly. *The V7 seems best at the moment.

and with Flarm, Nano, and Butterfly you still would need something
additional if you like a moving map. I'm thinking that someday when
my glider fund gets fat enough my Oudie and Nano coupled with the V7
should be a neat setup.

Butterfly would be sweet if you wanted to get into cloud flying. Add
a turn coordinator for a full IFR panel.
Old January 26th 12, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
johngalloway[_3_]

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Old January 26th 12, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Jan 26, 12:14*pm, wrote:

[...]

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...set=a.23708717....

eventually my panel will consist of either the Butterfly or the V7
that will be talking to my PNA running LK8000 flight software. I do
have a Tru-Trak which adds more to the decision
making.............maybe a lot of used Tru-traks will be on the
market?

thanks for the link.

Brad

Butterfly iGlide Reed von Gal Soaring 4 May 2nd 12 06:00 PM
WTB: 57mm Cambridge Vario/FS: 80mm Cambridge Vario ufmechanic Soaring 0 March 24th 09 06:31 PM
TE vario G.A. Seguin Soaring 8 June 8th 04 04:44 AM
WTB LD-200 Vario Romeo Delta Soaring 0 June 4th 04 03:08 PM