XCSoar 6.3- Horizon Disabled.

Old April 4th 12, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

Default XCSoar 6.3- Horizon Disabled.

Thanks to Max and crew for making this version of 6.3 available for
USA soaring pilots.

Just downloaded the program for the Streak and hope to fly with it
later this week.

Your efforts are VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thanks you.

Mike Carris
Old April 4th 12, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

+1. Pointless but +1!

I will happily pay anyone who can cloud fly (/= 1500 ft gain) with the XC Soar mobile phone AH data field (only XC soar, no other AH) a $1000 prize.. Just send me video of the act with clear audio describing your feat as it happens. The video must be suitable to absolutely identify as you (the prize winner) and must be complete with the time and date, witnesses, flight location, aircraft registration (must be a contest glider) and of course your pilots license... Your reward will be prompt and payment will be honored! Good luck.

This offer is not valid for any real electronic AH system such as LXNAV or Butterfly... Only dysfunctional and useless mobile phone or tablet based (no real, fixed gyro's) installations of XC Soar with its 1cm square AH display is valid. Happy thermals!

This offer expires in 90 days.

Old April 4th 12, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate[_2_]

On Apr 4, 6:33*am, Sean Fidler wrote:
[...]

Mike Carris- Hide quoted text -

Yehaaa! I'll load it tonight! (not that I fly any contests)
Old April 4th 12, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

Mike C wrote:
Thanks to Max and crew for making this version of 6.3 available for
USA soaring pilots.

I did not contribute to this version. It is not an official XCSoar
release, even though the publisher confusingly calls himself "XCSoar
developers". I will not provide support for this build.

It's open source and that means anybody may publish modified versions.
Power to the people :-)

Max
Old April 4th 12, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Mackie

On Apr 4, 3:08*pm, Max Kellermann wrote:
Mike C wrote:
Thanks to Max and crew for making this version of 6.3 *available for
USA soaring pilots.

I did not contribute to this version. *It is not an official XCSoar
release, even though the publisher confusingly calls himself "XCSoar
developers". *I will not provide support for this build.

It's open source and that means anybody may publish modified versions.
Power to the people :-)

Max

I want a full IFR version that looks exactly like whatever gets
sanctioned... :-)
Old April 4th 12, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

Sean, Hi.

If I had the right sort of phone, I’d like to try your challenge over
in the UK. But I haven’t, so I can’t, so your challenge is safe from
me.

By the way, have you ever heard of people cloud flying successfully
without a gyro instrument at all?

Just wondering.

Chris N.

Old April 4th 12, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

:-), I am sure my challenge could be achieved and probably was foolish to not also note (which I will now) that "this feat must be done in the USA."

The point of my challenge is that the person while winning $1000 would be reported to the FAA and stripped of their licence almost without question. So nobody will do it.

In terms of cloud flying I am sure it can be accomplished in many ways by many highly skilled foreign (and perhaps american) pilots. As long as that is legal in your country...I think its great. If you can do it without instruments...I am slightly impressed. Do you have video?

But it is important to point out that I actually do agree with the general rule of no cloud flying in the USA. I have no intention of cloud flying no matter what the payoff. I think cloud flying in non IFR equipped gliders (in the USA or anywhere frankly) is extremely dangerous. That said I strongly believe that banning cell phones is not the way to deter cloud flying. I think there are far better methods for policing cloud flying that would be much less irritating to pilots who wish to have modern navigation systems in their ships...which basically all have AH's because the US is only a small fraction of the global market.

I'm going to play with my close encounters light board some more and see if we can get that basic vocabulary to sink in...

Sean

Old April 4th 12, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Wednesday, April 4, 2012 5:31:36 PM UTC-5, Chris Nicholas wrote:
Sean, Hi.

If I had the right sort of phone, I’d like to try your challenge over
in the UK. But I haven’t, so I can’t, so your challenge is safe from
me.

By the way, have you ever heard of people cloud flying successfully
without a gyro instrument at all?

Just wondering.

Chris N.

yes, plenty of stories of no instrument cloud flying in pre-WWII gliding books and magazines. Sometimes it ended successfully and sometimes not. Sometimes "Successfully" was measured by surviving to tell about it.
Old April 5th 12, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

1. I always try to discourage people from trying to fly in cloud in
gliders, particularly if self teaching. I regard it as too risky,
particularly with modern, slippery ships. I have posted to that effect
on this forum before, and elsewhere.

2. I do fly in cloud myself when I can. It is legal in the UK, I did
have some tuition, and I like to keep in practice. I know several
others who do so too. I have a turn and slip (gyro). I also have an
electronic attitude indicator, but I find it has too much lag to be
sufficient on its own. For all I know there may be better ones with no
such lag.

3. I have been told by two pilots of their experience climbing in
cloud without a gyro instrument, and I do not doubt they were telling
the truth. They told me the technique they used (the same in each
case). I am not going to pass it on here. They were talking of older,
wooden, draggy gliders, and at least one had really speed-limiting
brakes (which in USA are called spoilers) as a safety fall-back. The
other may have been flying a glider with what we call spoilers (hinged
devices, little brake effect, they just spoil lift on the wing top
surface) – I don’t know what you call them in the USA to distinguish
them from the paddle-type brakes.

4. As for me – if I had tried cloud flying with no gyro, I wouldn’t
tell here anyway.

Regards – Chris

Old April 5th 12, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

The FAA might also be interested in seeing that video with all the
identifying information...