No interest in controls for disabled pilots?

Old June 5th 14, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default No interest in controls for disabled pilots?

Le jeudi 5 juin 2014 02:18:28 UTC, C-FFKQ (42) a écrit :

It's nice that the Pegase has an option for hand controls. I only knew about the Discus for single-seat ships. However, still need to train in a two-seater with hand controls before they can fly a single ship, if you have one with hand controls.

-John Brake

Freedom's Wings Canada

www.freedomswings.ca

Yes, we know that, and the "only" in my message refered to an aftermarket kit(as Centrair, the original builder of the Pegase, which have in the past marketed their (quite poor)own hand controls kit, has no more interest in this activity.)
In fact, the Beynes soaring club (the soaring airfield closest to downtown Paris ) owns both a K21 and a Duo Discus Turbo originally equiped by the manufacturers with hand controls.
We have a disabled flight instructor; and the question was to transition the disabled solo student pilots to a single seater. The kit was entirely developed and certified by club members on their spare time.
Old June 6th 14, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Coupled to a 12V air compressor, this would probably do the trick http://www.petersenproducts.com/Prod...mCode=16151515

Lift height of 9" and less than an inch thick. Lift capacity is 14 tons!

On Thursday, June 5, 2014 9:37:22 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Remember the "ejection seat" developed by DG several years back? It

involved a bladder which was quickly inflated by a CO2 cartridge and

lifts the pilot high enough to simply roll out in an emergency. I don't

see why a less energetic version could not be developed. Something

inflated much more slowly by a battery powered pump run off of the

ship's battery. With something like this, one wouldn't have to wait for

a hoist or crane to be rolled out.

I find I can still get out of my ship by pulling a foot back and getting

a firm plant on the cockpit floor but, eventually, I might have to start

unstrapping my parachute to climb out.

Dan Marotta

On 6/5/2014 7:14 AM, son_of_flubber wrote:

I understand that the post is focused on hand controls, and those are of course a great thing to implement, but the issue of adaptation to disabilities in soaring is in fact a much broader and bigger issue.

For example, the disability that is on the rise in the present growing-older/weaker/heavier USA glider pilot population is simply the inability to get into and out of the glider.

I know older rowers who quit sculling because they cannot get into or out of their boats any more. I know some glider pilots who can barely get out of their gliders and it would be a shame if they quit. Has anyone started to use a hoist to get pilots into their gliders?

Has anyone done some simple modifications that make it easier to get in and out of the glider? A sky-hook would come in handy lots of days.

Old June 6th 14, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Sanderse

You can find the details of the hoist on page 14 of the "Free Flight"
magazine at the following link:
http://www.sac.ca/index.php?option=c... 458&Itemid=88

One of our members, Martin Sanderse, modified an electric golf cart to
have=
a manual hoist (500lb capacity) that can use either a hoyer-type sling

or
=
the Sure Hands lifting device. With this cart, we can lift a person out
of=
the wheel chair and safely place him/her into our glider (2 with hand
cont=
rols), then reverse the process after the flight. We have done this
hundre=
ds of times.

We have also trained pilots with physical disabilities, including the
first=
paraplegic glider instructor in Canada.

-John Brake
Freedom's Wings Canada - Toronto @ York Soaring

Old June 9th 14, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Saturday, June 7, 2014 8:39:45 PM UTC-4, Cookie wrote:
... better prototype uses a clear plastic 5 gallon water container....really cheap...works great with compressed air from a tank...lifts you easily 9"...brings the butt about level with the gunwales of the Grob 103..

2Ck%3Acollapsible%20water%20container

That's a clever idea. There are many types of collapsible/inflatable water containers available. Which type works for you?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...er%20container

We had two mid-80's age glider ride patrons last weekend and even though they were lightweights, getting out afterwards was hard. For occasional use, the airbag approach might be easier to implement than the more elaborate alternatives, and the price is right (the lift bag that I linked costs 100's of dollars).
Old June 10th 14, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

Yep..the one on the top of the page....I got at Wal Mart for about $10...I removed the handle...and installed a long rubber hose that runs up along the back of the glider seat..I just fold and pinch the hose to hold the air....only needs to be full for a short time when entering of exiting..I just use an air gun with a rubber tip attached with an air storage tank. You can go up and down maybe 4 times on a tank of air..The person needs to be able to steady themselves by holding on the the gunwales, or have a helper keep them steady, or else they can tip over while they rise.

I put a thin but firm seat cushion over the water container to make it comfortable to sit on.

I figure the plastic container will eventually crack and leak...so for $10 you get an extra!

Cookie

Old June 10th 14, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Monday, June 9, 2014 8:49:05 PM UTC-4, Cookie wrote:
Yep..the one on the top of the page....

You mean this one? http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Produ...ater+container

(Posting the direct link to this bag for the RAS archives because the Amazon list order will change over time.)

I got at Wal Mart for about $10...I removed the handle...and installed a long rubber hose that runs up along the back of the glider seat..

Thanks for the details. This is something that we need to do at our operation for 'senior rides'. The need is there and the price is right. KISS (keep it simple stupid)
Old December 15th 15, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Details already from Walking on Air and from Handiflight in Belgium via Hans Claes
Of course we're interested but there seems to be a shortage of good used Pegase gliders