Logging Actual Time

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 28th 04, 05:30 AM
Brenor Brophy

Default Logging Actual Time

Last weekend I flew my first Angel Flight from MRY down to SMO. There was
the remnants of a cold front that passed through the day before between the
Bay Area and LA so there was plenty of clouds hanging around, mostly
build-ups over the mountains with tops 90 to 110 and some lower layers
BKN30. So I was in and out of IMC most of the trip, maybe 1 minute here, 5
minutes there and so on. Now, I didn't have a trusty Co-Pilot or CFII to
keep track of time and not having an auto-pilot I was focused on keeping the
dirty side of the plane pointing down inside the bumpy clouds - not noting
the hobbs time :-)

Afterwards I just guessed about how long I was in the clouds and logged 0.6
actual out of 5.8 hours flying time. I was wondering what everyone else does
in this kind of situation ? A gut feel estimate of time, or actually track
it, if so then how ?

-Brenor