Why not use the F-22 to replace the F/A-18 and F-14?

Old February 24th 04, 03:06 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Jake Donovan" wrote in message
news:jHB_b.2817$TT5.244@lakeread06...
nafod40,

One can only assume you attached this to the wrong post, as it does not
address the points I raised. And who/what is "nafod40"?

Brooks

Then you can appreciate why I rarely post. I read a lot. Once in awhile
some one who will post something so off the wall it gets my dander up and

speak up. The google search you mentioned is a good example. If you
followed the thread you will see my "credibility" was established very
quickly. I actually chatted with the original poster and knew who he was
refering to and what program the SEAL had been through. Once the dust
settled, he understood why every one was up and arms over the wording he

was
a Navy Pilot.

There are some good friends of mine that read this NG and rarely post
anymore for the same reasons. Many who are reading this know me in real
life so as I stated earlier, Joe Smith doesn't give me credibility, I

really
dont care and I shouldn't have let it get to me the way it did.

Let's call it a bad day at the office.

Jake

PS - As for insider tidbits, I have never done so. Any comments I make or
have made can be found in the mainstream press and unclassified material
that if you know where to look, you can find it.

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

"Jake Donovan" wrote in message
I really, really hate to mess with your "credibility" but the F35 was

NOT
designed as a carrier aircraft. The JSF concept was for an aircraft

that
can be used by different players with differnt requiremnets. NOT as a
CARRIER aircraft.

As much as I hate to defend Andrew, your argument does not really make

much
sense. The program was indeed designed to accomodate different customers

with differing requirements, one of which is the requirement for carrier
compatability in *both* the F-35C and F-35B. The JSF program was NOT one
where the competing firms were told, "Design and build us a land based
fighter, then come back and tell us how you would make it carrier
compatable." The need for carrier compatability was included in the

original
JSF program requirements, so the products were indeed designed to

include
that capability. Note that Andrew was commenting on the "F-35" program

(AKA
JSF), not the "F-35A".

The F-35C was. Argue all you want, but that leaves two other variants

of
the F35 that were NOT designed to be carrier aircraft. The A, a CTOV
variant for the Airforce to replace F-16's, A-10's, and yes, in the up
coming future, the F-22.

The F-35A was designed to *replace* the F-22? Where in tarnation did you

get
that rather strange idea? It is intended to replace the other aircraft

you
note, but not the F-22.

Now if you want to argue that the F-35B is an aircraft designed as a

Carrier
Aircraft, I know some Marines that would like to chat with you.

What, you know some Marines who'd claim that the AV-8B was not designed

with
carrier requirements in mind? Or who would claim that the AV-8B is *not*
routinely deployed shipboard, just as the F-35B will be?

The B will
be replacing AV-8B's and land based F-18's.

You mean those same "land based" F-18's that sometimes are tasked to be

part
of a CAW?

Sure, it can land on a carrier
but it is not being built to trap aboard CV/N's using arresting gear

or
Cat
launches.

Do you think that the fact that both the RN (or would that be RAF under

the
Joint Harrier Force concept, or both services?) and the USMC do indeed

plan
to operate the B model from naval vessels (i.e., "carriers") might be

taken
into account during its design?

The Brits have a little different take on the uses but they pretty

much
fall
in line with the above.

I doubt that, since your info as outlined above does not seem to be very
accurate.

Respectfully
Jake

PS - Oh, wait a minute, please quote some credible documentation to

back
up
your above statement. I don't seem to be able to find any.

Well, why don't YOU find us some "credible documentation" that states

that
the JSF program did not take carrier compatability into account from the
outset, and indeed make that a program requirement, or that the F-35B is
neither intended to be operated from shipboard by the USMC nor does its
design incorporate any of the requirements for such shipboard use?

Brooks

"Andrew C. Toppan" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 14:36:35 GMT, R. David Steele
wrote:

The F-35 is basically the same plane as the F-22. It has been
modified to be a carrier aircraft.

Huh? The F-35 is absolutely nothing like the F-22.

The F-35 was not "modified" to be a carrier aircraft, it was

DESIGNED
AS a carrier aircraft.

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,

Old February 24th 04, 03:15 PM
nafod40

Kevin Brooks wrote:
"Jake Donovan" wrote in message

nafod40,

One can only assume you attached this to the wrong post, as it does not
address the points I raised. And who/what is "nafod40"?

Thou hast not heard of me? Why, my name is bandied about in the finest
parlors and reading rooms of our most clever intellectuals, in
various...business establishments...in ports around our busy globe, and
only on the rarest occasions on 243.0, and then probably only to relay
some else's predicament, I being far too smart to make their mistakes.

Thank you for asking...

Old February 24th 04, 04:25 PM
Kevin Brooks

"nafod40" wrote in message
Kevin Brooks wrote:
"Jake Donovan" wrote in message

nafod40,

One can only assume you attached this to the wrong post, as it does not
address the points I raised. And who/what is "nafod40"?

Thou hast not heard of me? Why, my name is bandied about in the finest
parlors and reading rooms of our most clever intellectuals, in
various...business establishments...in ports around our busy globe,

And now in my kill-file.

Old February 24th 04, 05:01 PM
nafod40

Kevin Brooks wrote:
"nafod40" wrote

Thou hast not heard of me?

And now in my kill-file.

I'm sure I'll have good company.

Old February 24th 04, 10:08 PM
Tarver Engineering

"fudog50" wrote in message
As regards to civilian transports,

One of the arguements that real pilots make for the Boeing product
being superior to the Airbus is that you are using automation to
enhance your skills, to perform menial, redundant (repetitive) tasks,
while still maintaining actual control, if desired.

The Airbus concept is that the pilot is more of a "systems manager",
and monitors the computers and automation that are actually flying the
aircraft.

No, both manufacturers produce airliners where the pilot is a systems
operator.

When United dumped Boeing for the A-320, Boeing had to grow up.

and Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:44:58 -0800, "Tarver Engineering"
wrote:

"R. David Steele" wrote in message
.. .

|Perhaps never. The days of turning off the autopilot and flying the
|airplane yourself are long gone. The software is always there.

In other words it is an UAV with pilot on board?

As are most civilian transports. Software driven electric control

systems
are the future, UAV, or fighter.

Old February 24th 04, 10:21 PM
puttster

"John Carrier" wrote in message ...
Now if you want to argue that the F-35B is an aircraft designed as a

Carrier
Aircraft, I know some Marines that would like to chat with you. The B

will
be replacing AV-8B's and land based F-18's. Sure, it can land on a

carrier
but it is not being built to trap aboard CV/N's using arresting gear or

Cat
launches.

True in a sense, but as a VSTOL and STOVL design, it's fully carrier
suitable w/o the need for catapult gear (I suspect it does have a tailhook).
I'd also be much surprised if its CNI suite didn't include ACLS and SPN-41
in their latest incarnations.

R / John

With an excellent V/STOL capability in the F-35B, why does the Navy
still demand those giant carriers? Seems like something can be done
there to make the whole system more efficient. Why design a plane
(the F-35C) to fit their ships?
Old February 24th 04, 11:17 PM
Keith Willshaw

"puttster" wrote in message
om...
"John Carrier" wrote in message

With an excellent V/STOL capability in the F-35B, why does the Navy
still demand those giant carriers?

Because they also plan to operate aircraft like the E2 Hawkeye
and F-18E

Seems like something can be done
there to make the whole system more efficient. Why design a plane
(the F-35C) to fit their ships?

Because they already gave the ships.

Keith

Old February 24th 04, 11:56 PM
Guy Alcala

puttster wrote:

snip

With an excellent V/STOL capability in the F-35B, why does the Navy
still demand those giant carriers? Seems like something can be done
there to make the whole system more efficient. Why design a plane
(the F-35C) to fit their ships?

Whether the navy goes all VSTOL or keeps the F-35C and its other catapult-launched, arrested
recovery a/c and their associated catapults/arresting gear, on a per a/c embarked basis a larger
carrier is always cheaper than a smaller one, as the overhead in radars and support a/c is the same
in either case. These requirements are set by the threat, and can't be reduced.

For most missions the CV/CVNs provide more capability than is needed, and in such cases a smaller
carrier is sufficient. The USN has the LHA/LHDs to provide the numbers for these missions. But
when it comes to the power projection mission, size _does_ matter, both for numbers of a/c you can
operate and how long you can sustain them. The Brits ran into this problem first with their small
carriers in the '50s, where, by the time they'd provided the CAP, AEW, and ASW a/c to protect the
task group, there was little room left for strike a/c or their escorts, and the carriers lacked the
size for fuel, ordnance etc. for sustainment. They attempted to get around this by first replacing
fixed-wing ASW a/c with helos, and then moving the ASW helos off the carriers entirely, to CAHs
(Tigers) or CVSs (the Invincible class).

The U.S. had gone the CVS route from the start, first with CVEs, then with unmodified Essexes, but
had to bring the ASW a/c back to the CVs when the Essexes were retired and not replaced. The
CV/CVNs are large enough that the ASW a/c make up a relatively small percentage of the air wing,
and take up relatively little space. In addition, the current lack of a serious blue water sub
threat has allowed us to phase out the fixed-wing carrier ASW a/c, and only use helos. That could
change, of course.

Guy