Why not use the F-22 to replace the F/A-18 and F-14?

Old February 23rd 04, 12:05 AM
Thomas Schoene

Jake Donovan wrote:

2- The F22 is officially headed to the reserves and ANG as soon as
the F35 comes on line. Kind of turns on the lights as to the
operating parameters of the 22 vs the 35.

I'd like to see the basis for that. But in any case, rememeber that the
Guard and Reserves no longer fly second-rate aircraft handed down from the
active force. They fly the same aircraft types for the most part, and have
the same basic missions. I'd be very surprised indeed if the F-22 is
scheduled to be withdrawn from the active force at that time.
"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old February 23rd 04, 12:08 AM
Thomas Schoene

R. David Steele wrote:
What about the S-3 Viking folks? BRBR

What happened to the program to make the S-3 an SIGINT platform?

And you say other people "don't keep up." The ES-3 was fielded in 1993,
then retired in 1999. The S-3B is going away over the next couple of years.

Old February 23rd 04, 12:27 AM
Thomas Schoene

R. David Steele wrote:

I am not a fan of idea of taking an airliner design and making it
a cargo plane.

For the vast majority of the air freight business, airliner designs work
very well indeed. Very few users need the short-field or oversized cargo
capacity of a BC-17X. A 747-400 Freighter carries more cargo, cheaper, than
a military-derived cargo plane; Boeing only offers the BC-17X for a very
specific (small) niche market.

Old February 23rd 04, 01:05 AM
Jake Donovan

Tom,

I really cant go much further than what I said, but look at the B1B.

I can paraphrase Aviation Week - The procurement #s of Raptors have been
lowered drastically not because of budget constraints, but the F35 will be
replacing them as soon as they are available.

I do agree with you on the AF ANG and Reserves flying very new and up to
date platforms unlike the days of old.

Jake

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old February 23rd 04, 01:13 AM
Thomas Schoene

R. David Steele wrote:
Remember that we are planning for a war with China by the end of
the decade.

Are you planning to fight them all yourself or do
you have a couple of buddies lined up to help ?

Keith

Ok, ok!!!

Not everyone keeps up with various policies and DoD planning.
the current chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Gen Myers, was picked
to plan for this potential war.

Actually, you're the one who seems out of touch. The Joint Staff plans for
all sorts of wars all the time. But Presidents don't pick Chairmen of the
JCS to plan any particular wars. Indeed, the Chairman's job is mostly to
supervise current ops; the Staff does long-term planning regardless of who
is in charge.

China has let it be known, there
are a number of papers coming out of their post graduate officers
school, that they plan to challenge us for control of the far
east. That means control over India, most of SE Asia (down to
Australia), Japan, the Philippines and Siberia.

China's policy appears to be primarily focussed on ensuring that no one else
interfrres with their own territory.

Also China has sent it agents off its soil as it never has in
5000 years. They now run the Panama Canal. Have bases all
throughout the Caribbean. Now own a port (former naval base) in
San Diego. And they have extensive operations all throughout
North Africa.

Oh, good grief. China has commercial intereasts worldwide, yes. But
there's no evidence that running port operations in Panama (NOT running the
Canal proper, BTW) translates into any sort of aggressive intent. INdeed,
the company that runs those ops is a Hong Kong-based multinational, not
controlled by the Chinese government as the fearmongers would have you
believe.

Old February 23rd 04, 01:45 AM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:31:30 GMT, R. David Steele
wrote:

What happened to the program to make the S-3 an SIGINT platform?

You're only a decade behind. ES-3 was deployed a decade ago, retired
5 years ago.

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,

Old February 23rd 04, 01:45 AM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:05:43 -0600, "Jake Donovan"
wrote:

lowered drastically not because of budget constraints, but the F35 will be
replacing them as soon as they are available.

You're making claims contrary to the program of record and all
published information, but providing no evidence to support said
claims.

Thus, you're not credible.

Old February 23rd 04, 01:45 AM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:08:27 GMT, R. David Steele
wrote:

I am not a fan of idea of taking an airliner design and making it
a cargo plane.

Virtually every civilian cargo aircraft is exactly that.

Old February 23rd 04, 02:22 AM
Tarver Engineering

"R. David Steele" wrote in message

| | The F-35 has a chance of being more successful than the F-22 based
|solely on
| | it being post '96 Ada
| |
| |Ada-95. Like a lot of the F-22 software, which got recoded because it
| |was easier to support. Which is why a good part of the F-35 software

is
| |based on the F-22 software...
|
| I thought that we had moved beyond ADA?
|
|How?

Had we not stopped programming in ADA? C++ or something has
replaced it? Good lord, ADA is like PL1.

The Ada-95 release does not cause older software to be made good.

Old February 23rd 04, 02:54 AM
Mike Kanze

Will these outfits be VQF / VPF? g

--
Mike Kanze

"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics
won't take an interest in you."

- Pericles (430 B.C.)

"Pechs1" wrote in message
Remember that we are planning for a war with China by the end of
the decade. What is the ability of the Chinese aircraft. BRBR

Just let loose all the VQ and VP guys flying P-3s, they can kick their

ass,
already have,,,
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer