chicago boycott?

Old July 20th 03, 03:29 AM
tony zambon

Default chicago boycott?

oh well. meigs is history and daley wins. on my drive to the airport this
morning i hear an advert for the chicago air and water show, featuring the
red baron stearmans, team oracle, lima lima team etc. my question is what
happened to the boycott of chicago called by aopa. it seems it would have
been a perfect way to give daley a black eye if no civilian teams or
performers showed up. i plan on asking them when i get to Oshkosh

tony zambon
grumman 9941L

Old July 20th 03, 04:05 AM
BTIZ

most of those civil teams staged out of Miegs... wonder what the plans are
now..

when I flew the Chicago Air and Water Show with the B-1 we staged out of the
Navy Field to the north.. and they provided helio service between there and
Miegs (down town) where everyone stayed and where the air show pilots
prebriefs are held..

BT

.com...

Old July 20th 03, 05:08 AM
Dave Stadt

"tony zambon" wrote in message
.com...
oh well. meigs is history and daley wins. on my drive to the airport this
morning i hear an advert for the chicago air and water show, featuring the
red baron stearmans, team oracle, lima lima team etc. my question is what
happened to the boycott of chicago called by aopa. it seems it would have
been a perfect way to give daley a black eye if no civilian teams or
performers showed up. i plan on asking them when i get to Oshkosh

tony zambon
grumman 9941L

Well lets see, think it could be something like $$$$$$$? They are all
professional organizations flying airplanes for one reason, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old July 20th 03, 05:36 AM
Jay Honeck

oh well. meigs is history and daley wins. on my drive to the airport this
morning i hear an advert for the chicago air and water show, featuring the
red baron stearmans, team oracle, lima lima team etc. my question is what
happened to the boycott of chicago called by aopa. it seems it would have
been a perfect way to give daley a black eye if no civilian teams or
performers showed up. i plan on asking them when i get to Oshkosh

AOPA, for better or worse, is a large bureaucracy. As such, their main
mission in life is their own survival, no different from any other
organization that depends upon "dues".

Meigs is history, and AOPA doesn't want to do anything that would remind us
of their utter failure to prevent its closure. They will do whatever it
takes to change the subject, so that you continue to send them $$$. This
includes hoping that we all forget about the "Boycott Chicago" war cry that
created not so much as a stir in Chicago. No organization (or person, for
that matter) likes to be reminded of their impotency.

I, too, plan on asking them about this at OSH, but not because I expect an
answer.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 20th 03, 06:44 AM
Larry Fransson

In article 0%oSa.102046$ye4.74528@sccrnsc01,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Meigs is history, and AOPA doesn't want to do anything that would remind us
of their utter failure to prevent its closure. They will do whatever it
takes to change the subject, so that you continue to send them $$$. This
includes hoping that we all forget about the "Boycott Chicago" war cry that
created not so much as a stir in Chicago. No organization (or person, for
that matter) likes to be reminded of their impotency.

I, too, plan on asking them about this at OSH, but not because I expect an
answer.

Your soapbox is sagging.

AOPA lobbies the powers that be and rallies its members around a cause.
AOPA has no actual power to do anything. So to say that AOPA utterly
failed to prevent the closure of Meigs Field is to ascribe to the
organization powers that it does not have. You can't blame AOPA for
failing to do what it ultimately cannot do.

--
Larry Fransson
Aviation software for Mac OS X!
Old July 20th 03, 12:54 PM
MLenoch

Teams usually sign contracts with most of the airshows at the first of
the year. I

These teams usually pay Chicago via the corporate sponsor to fly in this
airshow. This is because of the large public exposure. This is very different
than any other airshow.
VL
Old July 20th 03, 02:45 PM
Jay Honeck

AOPA lobbies the powers that be and rallies its members around a cause.
AOPA has no actual power to do anything. So to say that AOPA utterly
failed to prevent the closure of Meigs Field is to ascribe to the
organization powers that it does not have. You can't blame AOPA for
failing to do what it ultimately cannot do.

You're right, sadly.

The real failure is our own.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 20th 03, 03:11 PM
Robert Henry

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
You can't blame AOPA for
failing to do what it ultimately cannot do.

You're right, sadly.

The real failure is our own.

As I currently see it, there probably won't be x-thousands of pilots (20,000
seems like a good number) descending on Chicago to voice their opinion on 18
and/or 19 August, I was feeling the exact same sentiment.

Old July 20th 03, 06:11 PM
Foster

BTIZ wrote:
when I flew the Chicago Air and Water Show with the B-1 we staged
out of the Navy Field to the north.

You probably mean Glenview Naval Airstation (GNAS). It's history. Big buck
homes, light commercial, and soon a major shopping center - that we
really need here - will have basically obliterated the air base.
The only vestiges are some of the street names and the old tower
enclosure on what was the main hangar.