12 to 24v up-converter

Old August 9th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
ccwillwerth

Default 12 to 24v up-converter

I am trying to build the Jim Weir/Kitplanes June-06 "Quick and Dirty 12 - 24
Up-Converter."

1. Can D101 and Q101share the same heat sink electrically or must they be
isolated?

2. I can not locate a "resistor form." Can R101 be wound around a dowel
or other object and installed like a coil with an air core?

Thanks, Charlie Willwerth

Old August 10th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

"ccwillwerth" wrote in message
I am trying to build the Jim Weir/Kitplanes June-06 "Quick and Dirty 12 -
24 Up-Converter."

Um, that would be the JULY 06 issue.

1. Can D101 and Q101share the same heat sink electrically or must they
be isolated?

Q101 has its collector tied to the case but D101 has its cathode tied to the
case. Sorry, you have to have two heat sinks.

2. I can not locate a "resistor form." Can R101 be wound around a
dowel or other object and installed like a coil with an air core?

Oh, golly, just get yourself a relatively high value 1/4 or 1/2 watt carbon
resistor (say, anything greater than 100 ohms or so) and wind the wire on
it. #30 wire will NOT stay put with air core. Sorry, I just assume (bad,
bad word) folks know the trick of winding wire on resistors just for the
form factor. Solder the wire to the resistor leads right where they come
out of the resistor body and then solder the resistor leads into the
circuit.

Jim