Helicopter vs. fixed-wing for leisure

Old January 29th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Helicopter vs. fixed-wing for leisure

Are there any GA helicopter pilots here? If so, do you fly for
pleasure? Why did you choose to go with a helicopter instead of a
fixed-wing aircraft? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Why
kind of helicopter do you fly, and do you own your own?

Old January 29th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Mxsmanic wrote:
Are there any GA helicopter pilots here? If so, do you fly for
pleasure? Why did you choose to go with a helicopter instead of a
fixed-wing aircraft? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Why
kind of helicopter do you fly, and do you own your own?

I have a helicopter rating and I got it because it looked like it would be
fun. The obvious advantage is vertical take off and landing. The
disadvantage is cost, the lack of availability to rent and the lack of
speed. No, I don't own one but I might build a Mosquito some day. All my
hours but 5 are in a R22 the other 5 are duel in a Bell 206.

Old January 30th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt.Doug

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message Are there any GA helicopter pilots here? If
so, do you fly for
pleasure? Why did you choose to go with a helicopter instead of a
fixed-wing aircraft? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Why
kind of helicopter do you fly, and do you own your own?

I fly both. Helis are good for parking in the backyard, better for aerial
photography, better for keeping frost off crops, and better for chasing
cows. Unfortunately helis are slow and expensive.

D.

Old January 30th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

I have a helicopter rating and I got it because it looked like it would be
fun. The obvious advantage is vertical take off and landing. The
disadvantage is cost, the lack of availability to rent and the lack of
speed. No, I don't own one but I might build a Mosquito some day. All my
hours but 5 are in a R22 the other 5 are duel in a Bell 206.

Have you ever looked into RotorWay (http://www.rotorway.com)? I lived
near their headquarters in the United States and used to salivate over
their kit-built two-place helicopters. Their current model costs
around $67,000 brand new, and apparently the assembly part isn't that
complicated. They also provide training at their facility. They've
been around 38 years so they seem to be doing okay.

Unfortunately, I exceed the weight limit for their helicopters, and
Aircranes are too expensive.

Old January 30th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Casey Wilson

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Gig 601XL Builder writes:

[...]

Really?!?!?

From the Rotorway 162F Specs:
Pilot and Passenger Load -- 425lbs (193KG)

Old January 30th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Casey Wilson writes:

Really?!?!?

From the Rotorway 162F Specs:
Pilot and Passenger Load -- 425lbs (193KG)

The limit for one passenger is 210 lbs.

Old January 30th 07, 08:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Jan 29, 8:55 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Casey Wilson writes:
Really?!?!?

From the Rotorway 162F Specs:
Pilot and Passenger Load -- 425lbs (193KG)

The limit for one passenger is 210 lbs.

then lose some weight, tubby

Old January 30th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Mxsmanic wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder writes:

I have a helicopter rating and I got it because it looked like it
would be fun. The obvious advantage is vertical take off and
landing. The disadvantage is cost, the lack of availability to rent
and the lack of speed. No, I don't own one but I might build a
Mosquito some day. All my hours but 5 are in a R22 the other 5 are
duel in a Bell 206.

Have you ever looked into RotorWay (http://www.rotorway.com)? I lived
near their headquarters in the United States and used to salivate over
their kit-built two-place helicopters. Their current model costs
around $67,000 brand new, and apparently the assembly part isn't that
complicated. They also provide training at their facility. They've
been around 38 years so they seem to be doing okay.

Unfortunately, I exceed the weight limit for their helicopters, and
Aircranes are too expensive.

I'm sure someone has created a Rotorway add-on for MSFS. As for a real one.
I don't want to spend that much on what would basicly be a toy of zero
practical use to me other than fun.

Old January 30th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 30, 7:41 am, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:

I don't want to spend that much on what would basicly be a toy of zero
practical use to me other than fun.

The appeal of the helicopter, to me, is the fine fishing
holes that become accessible, and the mechanical complexity of the
machine. I appreciate the busyness of any complicated machinery, and
also appreciate the incredible cost of maintaining such stuff. And
because of that cost it's unlikely I'll ever own one.

Dan

Old January 30th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Jan 29, 5:38 pm, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:

All my hours but 5 are in a R22 the other 5 are duel in a Bell 206.

Gig, you have 5 hours of duel in a 206? Were you fighting with the
pilot?

Sorry. Couldn't help meself...