$1500 Cash Reward

Old May 31st 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Honeck

Default $1500 Cash Reward

If this pan's out it will be the first time in my life of over 50
years when anything stolen was recovered. I had a car stolen, two
motorcycles, several housebreakings, and plenty of cars broken into
and nobody ever caught and nothing ever returned. I quit driving
convertibles because of the tops getting cut up by car burglers. And
no insureance neither. Am sure most everybody else has been hurt by
thieves. This one gave me a real hartburn that will still burns years
later.

Dang, Vic, you need to move back to America. Out here in God's
Country, we just don't see stuff like that...ever.

Heck, we don't even lock our convertible.

Glad you're getting your stuff back.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 31st 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On May 31, 8:12 am, wrote:

Deputies caught someone trying to fence a set of Bose headsets and
Garmin 295 taken at the airport. Deputy also says they have found my
Garmin 195. Several serch warrants have already been used.
It looks like the thieves were homeboys.

I respectfully suggest that you keep the pressure on, not only with
the Sheriff's department but with the prosecutor's office.

There is a tendency to allow crimes against property to go virtually
unpunished, lawyer'd away in plea bargains justified by limited
resources and community attention devoted to cases having a higher
profile. You may have to work pretty hard to get the idea across to
your community as well as the people it hires, that laws which are not
enforced simply encourages illegal activities.

Use the media to your advantage. There's more involved here than a
simple B&E.

-R.S.Hoover

Old June 1st 07, 07:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
erik

On May 26, 12:25 am, Dan wrote:
erik wrote:
On May 25, 12:07 pm, Scott wrote:
Except for the a$$holes. Maybe they'll blow their brains out while
cleaning one of the guns...

Scotthttp://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Gotta Fly or Gonna Die
Building RV-4 (Super Slow Build Version)

Rich S. wrote:

There are a$$holes out there and always will be. I hope

no one was hurt in the incident.
Rich S.
--

Shouldn't the firearms have been locked away in safes at the owners'
residences, in stead of being in hangers or in planes? Here in South

Erik Snyman
Messina
South Africa.

Here in the U.S., in most states, reasonable care is the standard.
This means minors and unauthorized persons don't have access. I agree
firearms should be in a safe except those used for self defense. This is
more to save the bother of recovering the firearms than to keep someone
from stealing them.

Assuming the hangar in question was locked that should be enough to
protect any property from being stolen. A competent burglar can get into
most safes and buildings if he is determined to do so.

In my case I have a gun safe, but I shouldn't need it since I live
alone and secure my house when I am not home. If South Africa holds the
gun owner as much as or more responsible than the burglar then something
is wrong there.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired- Hide quoted text -

There is more. A gun safe has to conform to governement
specifications. If you can not show forced entry into your safe (by
means of a grinder, drill, explosives, etc.) you will be charged with
having the gun stolen as a result of your own negligance. If found
guilty, in addition to possible jail time and a hefty fine, you will
also lose the licenses to the four firearms you as an ordinary private
citizen is allowed to own, and have to sell or give away said firearms
within a specified period of time. Failing this, it will be taken away
from you by the police, for destruction. You may not destroy the arms
yourself, as this is against the law. This leaves corrupt policemen
free to sell your firearm through the back door to criminals (which is
happening), and now you have contributed not only the original stolen
gun, but also the ones you are now deemed unfit to posess, to the
criminal underworld. Cases are said to be investigated in numerous
instances against numerous policemen selling confiscated guns to
criminals. One never hears about the outcome of such cases. Is
something wrong in South Africa where the criminal has more "rights"
than the victim? Where the victim is often persecuted for defending
his or her property/life/person with a firearm? And of course, heaven
helps you if, in the course of said self defense, a shot is fired and
the criminal is hit. The weapon will be taken from you by the police
for ballistic testing, which will commenly take up to two years to
complete. During which time you will be weaponless, if that weapon
happens to be the only one you posess. THEN charges of attemted
murder, manslaughter and others can be laid against you. Which means
that, if found guilty, you will be declared unfit to posess a firearm
and you will never be granted a lisence to own a firearm again. Then,
of course the criminal can sue you for compensation for pain and
suffering caused, loss of income, permanent disability, etc. etc. Is
something wrong in South Africa? You decide.....

Sorry about the tirade. I had a bad start-off to the day. Wrong side
of the bed and all that.

Erik Snyman
Messina
South Africa.

Old June 1st 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jl

On Jun 1, 2:54 am, erik wrote:
On May 26, 12:25 am, Dan wrote:

Rich S. wrote:

[...]

South Africa.- Hide quoted text -

You should find another country to live in. In usenet I am reading
this expatriate from South Africa who moved away to another country.
He said SA after apartheid is an unsafe place to live. He said there
were 25,000 murders there per year. That sounds like SA is so
dangerous it would be unwise to stay.

And now I just read al Quaida is establishing footholds in SA.

Old June 1st 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tri-Pacer

I respectfully suggest that you keep the pressure on, not only with
the Sheriff's department but with the prosecutor's office.

There is a tendency to allow crimes against property to go virtually
unpunished,

I had very carefully drilled out hundreds of rivets to allow the entire rear
fuselage of an Alon A2A to be used by a chap to repair his damaged plane. In
addition I had a center section which I was removing the rear spar and other
parts from. These were stolen from me. The police wouldn't even come out and
took the report over the phone.

I hit up all the metal recycle places with a complete description of what
was stolen. I found my stuff (run over by a truck and squashed flat with the
12 inch numbers still showing on the flat fuselage) I located the thief and
turned it over to the detective after doing his work for him. It was never
prosecuted !!!

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A

Old June 9th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default $1500 Cash Reward---- Glad to Announce Two Thieves Caught

On May 25, 1:03 pm, wrote:
$1500 cash reward for info leading to arrest and conviction of lowlife

Two thieves were caught and all the guns but just a fraction of the
tools were returned. The fence seems to have brought back the tools
he felt were worth the $200 he paid and kept the rest. Other words,
if someone buy $3,000 worth of Snap-Ons for $200 it would be hard to
say later he did not know they were hot.

The detective who solved this case has made a big reputation for
himself. He has solved big crimes, right and left. His name is Jeff
Hamrick and he is becoming famous in these parts for digging in his
heels and not letting up.

All the avionics, mostly Garmin, King, and Bose headsets were returned
to their owners too.

The thieves are in jail awaiting trial under $100,000 bonds. They are
local to Rutherford County, in their late 20's and had no criminal
records.

Investigation is still open because of a number of fences and a string
of about 20 burglaries. And we understand another warrant for arrest
is outstanding. There is also official talk that someone on our
airport supplied information.

Watch your security, men, and record all those serial numbers. Serial
numbers helped us out. So did very accurate descriptions of the
property taken.

I would have killed just for that beautiful gold-triggered Browning .
22 target pistol that goes back to my boyhood. And now I'm proud to
say it's back home again.

Thanks to all of your for your support and special thanks to those
good-hearted souls Veedubber and Jim Weir who offered to add to the
reward.

Old June 9th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

Just let us know when and where to send the $20 when they are convicted.
Who gets the reward?

Jim

--
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and
dance like no one is watching."

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old June 9th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Jun 9, 11:04 am, "RST Engineering" wrote:
Just let us know when and where to send the $20 when they are convicted.
Who gets the reward?

Jim

--
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and
dance like no one is watching."
--Satchel Paige

wrote in message

ups.com...

On May 25, 1:03 pm, wrote:
Thanks to all of your for your support and special thanks to those
good-hearted souls Veedubber and Jim Weir who offered to add to the
reward.- Hide quoted text -

It would be nice to pay a reward but none is payable because law
officers cannot collect rewards. They are required to apprehend
without motives of a reward because it is their job. Only private
citizens can collect rewards. Thanks any way.

One burgler was fingered by a crack addicked girl and confessed. He
flipped on the other two... one of which is still being chased.

Now both burglers caught have confessed. They will get felony prison
sentences. I will report it here when that happens.
Vic

Old June 9th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

Um ... simple burglary where there was no human hurt, no prior record, local
kids, most of the stuff recovered, confessed and saved the state the time
and trouble of prosecuting and proving ...

My best guess is a felony conviction with no more than a year (probably six
months) in the county pokey with another 5 years of probation.

Not that that is right or wrong, just a guess. Let's see how close I am.

Jim

Old June 10th 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Matt Whiting

Richard Riley wrote:
On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 10:43:49 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Um ... simple burglary where there was no human hurt, no prior record, local
kids, most of the stuff recovered, confessed and saved the state the time
and trouble of prosecuting and proving ...

My best guess is a felony conviction with no more than a year (probably six
months) in the county pokey with another 5 years of probation.

Not that that is right or wrong, just a guess. Let's see how close I am.

You'er *probably* right, but in my neck of So. Cal the DA doubles down
when a burglar takes guns. State Pen. and more than a year in
custody, even for a first offense. (I see him at the local shooting
range from time to time.)

Since when does the DA establish the sentence? In most states the judge
does that.

Matt

$1500 Cash Reward [email protected] Piloting 327 June 12th 07 07:01 PM
$1500 Cash Reward-- Aircraft and Hangar Burglaries at KFQD [email protected] Owning 2 May 26th 07 01:33 AM
Wanted Cambridge 1500 mount Andy Soaring 1 October 19th 05 12:33 AM
Compaq Aero 1500 Cradle PENN2P Soaring 1 October 18th 04 06:04 PM
1500 K in Sierra Wave?? Gary Kemp Soaring 1 March 31st 04 05:26 AM