help me remember a book about stealth aircraft and a fictional bomber called "Blackmagic"

Old September 21st 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Scaler

Default help me remember a book about stealth aircraft and a fictional bomber called "Blackmagic"

this isn't much to go on I know, but maybe someone will remember this

I recall reading a book in the early to mid 1990s, it was about modern
military aircraft. This book was probably published in the late 80s
or the 90s, more likely the 90s. There was quite a bit about stealth
technology. the F-117 Nighthawk and B-2 stealth bomber was
described. maybe other stealth aircraft that were either rumored or
canceled.

The thing that really caught my eye was a description of a fictional ,
future bomber that (IIRC) they called "Blackmagic". it was a purly
made-up name, *not* a codename for a secret stealth plane, IIRC.
It was definitally *not* the Soviet / Russian Tu-160 Blackjack
bomber, nor was it the well-known fictional Megafortress (a
heavily modified B-52). It was also not any of the rumored classified
stealth attack aircraft or hypersonic spyplanes that have been the
subject of much discussion the past 15+ years. this fictional heavy
bomber was very advanced, yet semi conventional. From what I
remember, it looked like a stealthy version of the B-1B, but maybe
larger, and the illustration might have shown it flying low through a
canyon or between mountains or something like that. I might be wrong
but I want to say that I think I remember it had saw-toothed edges
near the engines. I strongly believe it was a variable geometry
bomber, but again it was neither the B-1B Lancer (or a derivative of
the B-1) or the Tu-160 Blackjack. I suppose if anything, it might
have been described one of the concepts for one of the B-3 bomber
proposals.

If this rings a bell, if anyone by some chance remembers the title of
the book, I'd most appreciate knowing what it was.

I've already done all the googling I can with every keywork I can
think of. I guess my best bet is to try various libraries and used
book stores to see if i run across it again.

but I thought I'd first run this across this group, thanks in advance.

Old September 21st 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Rob Arndt[_2_]

On Sep 21, 9:48?am, Scaler wrote:
[...]

You probably should know that there was a codename "Black Magic" to
describe the rumored two-stage-to-orbit combo of the SR-3 Blackstar
(once known as the Super Valkyrie) and the XOV (Experimental Orbiter
Vehicle).

You can find info on that here about 2/3rds of the way down the page:
http://www.spyflight.co.uk/Latest%20News.htm

Rob

Old September 21st 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Scaler

On Sep 21, 12:29 pm, Rob Arndt wrote:
On Sep 21, 9:48?am, Scaler wrote:

[...]

Thanks, this is extremely interesting.

I read about the Super Valkyrie years ago, as well as again
recently.

I know it's also gone by the names (right or wrong) "Brilliant
Buzzard" and SR-75 "Penetrator".

As for the SR-3 Blackstar name, I don't remember that, or I've
forgotten it. I also didn't know the combination of the two aircraft
was codename Black Magic.

I also realize that I (and others) could be confused. sometimes these
are said to be the same aircraft but with different names / codenames.
other articles state they were different programs / different
aircraft.

I am questioning my memory now, with these names. I wonder if what I
read years ago was actually called BlackMagic or if it was
Blackstar.

I can't say if entire "Black Magic" project consisting of the SR-3
Blackstar / Super Valkyrie / Brillant Buzzard /
SR-75 Penetrator and the small XOV "is it", if it's the aircraft
(bomber?) that was described in that book - but, I will say this is
the closest match yet.

sometimes I wish my memory was really as sharp as people tell me it is
(it's not).

thanks again.

Old September 21st 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Rob Arndt[_2_]

On Sep 21, 9:48?am, Scaler wrote:

[...]

thanks again.- Hide quoted text -

No problem. I was certain your myster bomber was in the book "Beyond
the Horizon" that was published in 1994, but I could find no refs to
Blackmagic.

BTW, the SR-75 is associated with the Aurora and not the Super
Valkyrie and Blackstar is not a bomber, but a launcher for the XOV.

Maybe if you described the fictional Blackmagic configuration
(canards, blended body, delta, canted tails, tailless, etc...) it
might help someone remember what you are talking about as far as the
book goes.

Also, are you sure it was not Black Magic?

Any further details will help the search...

Rob

Old September 22nd 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Scaler

On Sep 21, 9:48?am, Scaler wrote:

[...]

I'm trying to get one of several local libraries to get ahold of that
book for me, thanks for mentioning it, regardless.

BTW, the SR-75 is associated with the Aurora and not the Super
Valkyrie and Blackstar is not a bomber, but a launcher for the XOV.

sometimes I see SR-75 associated with Super Valkyrie, but more often,
with the Aurora. I do understand that both / all of these platforms
are non-bombers. even though it's been said that, theoretically, they
may have had the potential to carry light payloads for strike
missions.

Maybe if you described the fictional Blackmagic configuration
(canards, blended body, delta, canted tails, tailless, etc...) it
might help someone remember what you are talking about as far as the
book goes.

unfortunately I don't remember much. canards, likely yes. blended
body, not that I remember no. I believe it did have a tail and I'm
pretty sure it had swing wings.

the Super Valkyrie was thought to be a heavily modernized XB-70, the
Blackmagic reminded me of a B-1B on steroids.

Also, are you sure it was not Black Magic?

I'm not certain. can't say it wasn't but also can't say it was.

Any further details will help the search...

Rob

that's about the most I remember. It'll either be someone who
remembers exactly the book and page of that book I'm recalling, or me
having some luck finding it again myself.

Old September 22nd 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Rob Arndt[_2_]

On Sep 21, 9:48?am, Scaler wrote:

[...]

having some luck finding it again myself.- Hide quoted text -

More info on Blackstar:
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/blakstar.htm

Rob

Old September 22nd 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Scaler

On Sep 21, 9:48?am, Scaler wrote:

[...]

going by all the unofficial stuff on the web and elsewhere, it seems
there were (at least described if not actually built) two or more
combinations of SR-71 sized (or larger) "motherships" that could fly
at mach 3-4 (or somewhat faster) at roughly 100,000 feet, paired with
a smaller manned or unmaned craft attached to the top or underside of
the larger 1st stage mothership, and these small 2nd stage craft
could fly at suborbit/to the edge of space or low-earth orbit / space
altitudes at hypersonic speeds.

Old September 22nd 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Scaler

I was also going to add, could it be that the USAF, CIA, Gov, etc
had two programs in succession? one in the 1970s/1980s and one in
the 1990s/2000s?

just as the U2 covered the 1950s/1960s and the SR-71 covered the
1960s/1970s.

it's not unreasonable to think there were overlapping and/or
successive programs.

Old September 22nd 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Rob Arndt[_2_]

On Sep 22, 12:09?pm, Scaler wrote:
I was also going to add, could it be that the USAF, CIA, Gov, etc
had two programs in succession? one in the 1970s/1980s and one in
the 1990s/2000s?

just as the U2 covered the 1950s/1960s and the SR-71 covered the
1960s/1970s.

it's not unreasonable to think there were overlapping and/or
successive programs.

It would seem like the SR replacement, whether SR-75 Penetrator or
Aurora, was replaced by the Sentinel while the Super Valkyrie became
the S-3 Blackstar and moved into the space category along with the
TR-3B ASTRA.

Also, the NRO has always been rumored to control new aircraft and NOT
just satellites. Part of the reason for black project "blackout" since
the B-2 was publically unveiled in the late 1980s.

Rob