Desktop Wallpaper - "USMC Corps Birthday - November 10th.".

Old November 1st 04, 12:53 PM
T. & D. Gregor, Sr.

Default Desktop Wallpaper - "USMC Corps Birthday - November 10th.".

Sunday, November 1, 2004

Wallpaper of the month - November 2004

Desktop Wallpaper - "Marine Corps Birthday - November 10th.".

General LeJeune's Marine Corps Birthday Message

On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution
of the Continental Congress. Since that date, many thousand men have
borne the name Marine. In memory of them, it is fitting that we who
are Marines should commemorate the Birthday of our Corps by calling to
mind the glories of its long and illustrious history.

The record of our Corps is one which will bear comparison with that of
the most famous military organizations in the world's history. During
90 of the 146 years of it's existence the Marine Corps has been in
action against the nations foes. From the battle of Trenton to the
Argonne. Marines have won foremost honors in war, and in the long eras
of tranquility at home. Generation after generation of Marines have
grown gray in war in both hemispheres and in every corner of the seven
seas that our country and its citizens might enjoy peace and security.

In every battle and skirmish since the birth of our Corps Marines have
acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors
on each occasion until the term Marine has come to signify all that is
highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.

This high name of distinction and soldierly repute we who are Marines
today have received from those who preceded us in the Corps. With it
we also received from them the eternal spirit which has animated our
Corps from generation to generation and has been the distinguishing
mark of the Marines in every age. So long as that spirit continues to
flourish Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future
as they have been in the past, and the men of our nation will regard
us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have
served as "Soldiers of the Sea" since the founding of the Corps.

Image courtesy of: The Marine Corps Imagery Management Unit (MCIMU)

Complete installation instructions are provided.

Please Note:
This wallpaper is available in the following screen resolution:

*Available upon request
[*] 0640 X 480[*] 1152 X 870[*] 1280 X 960[*] 1600 X 1200

x Download Now!

[x] 800 X 600
[x] 1024 X 768

http://www.scenery.org

Semper Fi

Tom Gregor, Sr.
Webmaster

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Name: T. & D. Gregor, Sr.
E-Mail:
Web-Site:
http://www.scenery.org
"The Scenery Hall of Fame"
Subscribe to our Newsletter:

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Old November 1st 04, 04:41 PM
Jim Carriere

Sunday, November 1, 2004

On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution

90 of the 146 years of it's existence the Marine Corps has been in

(rest snipped)

The wallpaper is nice, but did anyone else catch the "Marine math?"

Old November 1st 04, 06:00 PM
John Miller

Jim Carriere wrote:

The wallpaper is nice, but did anyone else catch the "Marine math?"

You do understand that Gen. LeJeune didn't wrote that birthday message
around 1931, don't you?

--
John Miller
email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm
Old November 1st 04, 06:00 PM
Ogden Johnson III

Sunday, November 1, 2004

On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution

90 of the 146 years of it's existence the Marine Corps has been in

(rest snipped)

The wallpaper is nice, but did anyone else catch the "Marine math?"

A USMC tradition, established by a standing Marine Corps Order,
for its "Marine Corps Birthday" celebrations is the reading of
the message to the Corps by then-Major General Commandant John A.
Lejeune on the occasion of its 146th anniversary. For some
reason, the original post did not hit my server [probably
included a binary - the wallpaper - so news.individual.net
stripped it from their feed], but it is obvious to me that the
post quoted from that message.

An early happy 229th, and a big Semper Fi to all my fellow
Marines.

Link to the USMC History and Museums Division's page on the USMC
Birthday celebrations:

http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/HD/Hi...elebration.htm

Link to MARINE CORPS ORDERS No. 47 (Series 1921), paragraph 759;
by which Major General Commandant Lejeune established the
tradition and transmitted the his message.

http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/HD/Hi...ne_Message.htm
--
OJ III
Old November 1st 04, 06:12 PM
Ogden Johnson III

John Miller wrote:

Jim Carriere wrote:

The wallpaper is nice, but did anyone else catch the "Marine math?"

You do understand that Gen. LeJeune didn't wrote that birthday message
around 1931, don't you?

"didn't wrote" ?!?!?!?!

Please John, tell me you aren't a Marine. You'd be not only
confirming Jim Carriere's snide "Marine math" comment, but giving
him a chance at a "Marine grammar" comment if you are.

As I was noting and posting at the same time. Major General
Commandant Lejeune published the order establishing the message
on November 1, 1921.
--
OJ III
Old November 1st 04, 06:30 PM
John Miller

Ogden Johnson III wrote:
John Miller wrote:

You do understand that Gen. LeJeune didn't wrote that birthday message
around 1931, don't you?

"didn't wrote" ?!?!?!?!

Please John, tell me you aren't a Marine. You'd be not only
confirming Jim Carriere's snide "Marine math" comment, but giving
him a chance at a "Marine grammar" comment if you are.

Delete "didn't." Brane phart.

1921 is "around" 1931, isn't it? :-)

--
(LTJG) John Miller

Old November 2nd 04, 01:29 AM
Ogden Johnson III

John Miller wrote:

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

John Miller wrote:

You do understand that Gen. LeJeune didn't wrote that birthday message
around 1931, don't you?

"didn't wrote" ?!?!?!?!

Please John, tell me you aren't a Marine. You'd be not only
confirming Jim Carriere's snide "Marine math" comment, but giving
him a chance at a "Marine grammar" comment if you are.

Delete "didn't." Brane phart.

1921 is "around" 1931, isn't it? :-)

(LTJG) John Miller

Ah so desuka. Navy grammar and Navy math. ;-

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Mr. Miller, sir.

[While silently saying a prayer that LTJG Miller isn't a
navigator or pork chop - particularly a disbursing pork chop]
--
OJ III
Old November 2nd 04, 03:40 AM
John Miller

Ogden Johnson III wrote:
Ah so desuka. Navy grammar and Navy math. ;-

Hai, so desu.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Mr. Miller, sir.

[While silently saying a prayer that LTJG Miller isn't a
navigator or pork chop - particularly a disbursing pork chop]

Worse. PAO.

Should mention that I was broadcast press officer at the Museum
dedication in '75, if that has any mitigating effect.

Old November 2nd 04, 06:44 AM
Jim Carriere

Ogden Johnson III wrote:
John Miller wrote:
Jim Carriere wrote:

The wallpaper is nice, but did anyone else catch the "Marine math?"

You do understand that Gen. LeJeune didn't wrote that birthday message
around 1931, don't you?

My bad (more accurate, my ignorance).

"didn't wrote" ?!?!?!?!

Please John, tell me you aren't a Marine. You'd be not only
confirming Jim Carriere's snide "Marine math" comment, but giving
him a chance at a "Marine grammar" comment if you are.

Hmm, you're right, I guess it did come across as snide. Gotta love
the net for leaving text open to interpretation. I thought the
numbers related to the present day, not decades ago, and the poster
mistyped them.

I'll cut my losses with you learn something new every day, and point
out, in my defense, that I did properly capitalize Marine.

Old November 3rd 04, 02:56 AM
Ogden Johnson III

John Miller wrote:

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

[While silently saying a prayer that LTJG Miller isn't a
navigator or pork chop - particularly a disbursing pork chop]

Worse. PAO.

Actually, it gives you extenuating circumstances - combat
fatigue/shell shock from dealing with woefully ignorant
TV/radio/print reporters. ;- That sort of thing can cause a
lot of problems to one's cogitation abilities. Isn't there a
12-step program for current/former military PAOs suffering from
Post-PAO-Stress Trauma? They've got one for every other thing
under the sun, it would seem.

Should mention that I was broadcast press officer at the Museum
dedication in '75, if that has any mitigating effect.

The Pensacola one that has been the subject of so much worry in
here? [I was not in CONUS for much of '75, so missed any
broadcast on any museum opening, blue or green, that would
involve a Navy PAO.
--
OJ III