Rotorway versus Safari

Old March 13th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Rotorway versus Safari

This afternoon I had the oportunity of flying to someone who own a rotorway.
So I came with my safari there 30minutes flying from my house and we decide
to exchange one hour.
I flew one hour with the rotorway and was impressed by the speed it rapidly
build. Control command are nice and don't need great effort. You can even
let the stick alone for one or 2 second. This is quite impossible with the
safari even if your CG is almost below the mast . You have to hold firmly
the stick.Engine power and collective mixing was easy and very smooth. At
high speed (over 70 knots) the vibrations are very present. They are as well
very present whenn you make a turn with a bank greater then 20 degres.
General impression were good.
After that we made a flight in my safari and the rotorway pilot admited it
was much more confortable in term of vibrations in term of confort. The only
point the safari is beat is the speed. I was happy to fly back with my
safari which I really prefer.
Here in France the safari will be evaluated to be allowed for private pilot
teaching . Anwser at the end of the month. The rotor way did not pass this
evalutation.
Claude Lescure safari builder pilot and recent helicopter instructor.

Old March 16th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Claude: Very interesting. I've flown with John Spurling in his Rotorway and
found it smoother than any Safari that I've ridden in. I think that your
Rotorway guy had something wrong. The Safari is sure more roomy and
comfortable than the Rotorway not to mention visibility. I never quite got
used to the high rpm sound of the Rotorway either, but then I'm used to the
Lycoming noise.
I'm very interested in hearing about the Safari evaluation for pilot
training. Do you know why the Rotorway failed to pass?

Stuart Fields
VK Support svcs.