Headsets ?

Old March 20th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Headsets ? (Helmets)

Bart
Laughed at your description. When I am working in ag operations, I wear
my custom Kevlar helmet from FlightSuits LTD ($700+ with all the
avionics and now 20 years old), a nomex flight suit, nomex gloves, and
boots (not steel toed). The helmet looks like it has been to the wars
and back and has saved me many hard lumps and lost skin from banging
around in turbulence, it has helped to save my hearing and even then I
wear earplugs under the helmet. The nomex suit is more for warmth on
cold early mornings up in northern MN and it saves on my street clothes
getting helicopter filthy. The nomex gloves I use for warmth as well as
giving me a more positive feel on the controls especially when my hands
get slippery from perspiration when the temps get up there.
I did take some birds thru the windscreen one time while flying in
Egypt and they left a feather smear on the side of my helmet. I don't
use a visor though.
Rocky

Old March 20th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting

Bart: I like it: ECD I hadn't heard that one before; I think that I will
use that in the magazine. Actually learning to fly the helicopter pretty
well contained my ego. BTW my friend recently put his ship down hard in
the desert and if he had been dressed as your picture shows, he would have
died of dehydration trying to walk the 6 miles thru the desert with the
cactus and puncture weeds. His ECD must have worked to his advantage, cause
talking to him the other day indicated that he still had an alive and well
ego. However, he didn't need to use the nomex suit as the helicopter was on
its side with the engine still running with the leaking gas missing the
engine completely.
If your attached picture shows your normal footwear, I would recommend a
lot of practice walking on carpet tacks. It could come in real handy.

--
Stu Fields
Experimental Helo magazine

www.vkss.com
www.experimentalhelo.com

"B4RT" wrote in message

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
.. .
Weeelll as told to me by the chief instructor at the Test Pilot school

in
Mojave (helicopter pilot) He doesn't feel good as a passenger in a
helicopter where the pilot isn't wearing a helmet. He related some bird

Just so we get our nomenclature correct, its called an ECD not a helmet.
ECD is an acronym for Ego Containment Device. I think maybe we should all
fly with nomex suits, nomex gloves, steel toed jack boots, and an ECD.

Am I serious? See this pic:
http://www.igor.com/pix/03-14-06_1634.jpg

Bart

Old March 20th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting

[...]

I may be showing my ignorance here as I've only flown two types of
heli's. In either of the types I've flown, he is not guarding the
collective since he's flying the cylcle with his left hand. ??

Don W.

Old March 20th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
"B4RT" wrote:

Am I serious? See this pic: http://www.igor.com/pix/03-14-06_1634.jpg

I noticed the vent is closed.
Old March 20th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting

Morgans wrote:
"B4RT" wrote

Am I serious? See this pic: http://www.igor.com/pix/03-14-06_1634.jpg

Typical helio pilot. He needed to be able to count to more than ten. g

Man, I used to fly barefoot. After some people got on my ass about it, I
stopped. Then when I had my accident, I don't know where the hell my shoe got
to but I arrived at the ER with just one of them. Both feet, but only one shoe.

Pretty new ones too. Damn.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old March 20th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting

"B4RT" wrote

Old March 21st 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
oups.com...
Bart
Laughed at your description. When I am working in ag operations, I wear
my custom Kevlar helmet from FlightSuits LTD ($700+ with all the
avionics and now 20 years old), a nomex flight suit, nomex gloves, and
boots (not steel toed).

Rocky; Actually I own a bright orange kevlar outfit too, I usually wear it
when its colder and on a long flight where I'm feeling like I'd like to be
rescued faster. Later on in the same trip I had to change into much warmer
clothes, I went from 85F - 20 something F in the same day. I was taking the
chopper from Key West to PA to get some work done last week. I was in a
buttload of turbulence in the Carolina mountains and actually saw a 100+
knot headwind component at 8000 feet. (the mountain was 6000 feet). The
thing was yawing all over and certainly more bumpy than anything I've ever
felt before. I never thought I was gonna hit my head though. I can imagine
that ag-ops are a lot more threatening than 1500 agl straight n level.

Morgans; Too funny. How did you know I needed to take my shoes off count
past 10?

John Smith; Yep, the pilot side vent is closed. I had both windows open and
the co-pilot vent open. I leave the pilot vent closed so that I can read
charts without having them flapping all over the place in the breeze.
There's no middle ground with Bell's vents, theyre either off or hurricane.

Don W; Yes, I am flying with my left hand. Trust me, if anything had
happened I'd have been all over that collective in a heartbeat. Over the
course of a 12 hour ferry flight you're gonna have to let go of the
collective now and then to do stuff. (Flying with your knees is not unheard
of either if a task takes 2 hands.)

Stu ; The ECT debate has been going on for years, Im in the no ECT camp. I
figure Im in the "Safest single engine aircraft in the sky" and the extra
weight and discomfort would add to to the fatigue of long days. I think the
ECT might unnerve passengers too. I suppose if I was nap of the earth in an
experimental machine I'd consider different attire.

Kevin; Yes that my Jet Ranger and my feet. I usually wear slip on boat shoes
because theyre great for walking around on wet aircraft too and they don't
leave scuffs. I kicked em off for a sec to take that pic. When I cross the
gulf of mexico (like that day) I wear stuff I can swim in. I also had vest
with an 406 EPIRB, flares, strobe, and a marine radio.

Thanks all,

Bart

Old March 21st 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting

--
Stu Fields
Experimental Helo magazine
P. O. Box 1585
Inyokern, CA 93527
(760) 377-4478
(760) 408-9747 general and layout cell
(760) 608-1299 technical and advertising cell

www.vkss.com
www.experimentalhelo.com

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:31:09 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

"B4RT" wrote

Am I serious? See this pic:
http://www.igor.com/pix/03-14-06_1634.jpg

Typical helio pilot. He needed to be able to count to more than ten. g

Coulda made it to 21 if he was flying naked.

Naw just 20.5

Old March 21st 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Headsets ?

Michelle,

Only way to go.....

...if you want a headache as a free bonus. Jeeze, old habits sure die
hard.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old March 21st 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft,rec.aviation.piloting

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:31:09 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

"B4RT" wrote

Am I serious? See this pic: http://www.igor.com/pix/03-14-06_1634.jpg

Typical helio pilot. He needed to be able to count to more than ten. g

Coulda made it to 21 if he was flying naked.

How do you know he's not?!